Thoughts on Possible Way to Avoid 2yr Data Plan Requirement if You have 2 Basic Lines

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
now, before 8/25/14.
I'm thinking about trying this next week before the 25th but from one account to another. The one account using the upgrade will be basic line and the one I'm activating on will be UDP but as mentioned on another account. Hopefully when and if the memo holds true and there are new workarounds or existing ones still work. If need be I can return the phone and go from there if I want to hold out for another phone. Any one think the policy would be retroactive for pending activations? I would hope not.

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
It'll really be interesting, since the memos say the data requirement must be a $30 minimum data plan.
If you transfer an upgrade from a UDP line to a basic line, will the UDP line get the data requirement, but also be forced into a $30 data plan since $29.99 Unlimited plan is less than $30?

Verizon would love that.

I've been wondering about that one as well. The current unlimited data plans is only $29.99, which does not meet the new $30 data requirement.

Come to think of it, does Verizon even have data plans that's $30.00 and more? (unless they mean the tiered plans, which are NOT unlimited?)

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
The one account using the upgrade will be basic line and the one I'm activating on will be UDP but as mentioned on another account.
So you will be upgrading a basic line on one account but then not activating the new smartphone on the basic line, rather, activating the new smartphone on a UDP line on another account?

Please keep us posted on how this works. If simply not activating the new smartphone on the basic line is enough to get the data plan to drop off that would be awesome!

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Come to think of it, does Verizon even have data plans that's $30.00 and more? (unless they mean the tiered plans, which are NOT unlimited?)
the tiered plans are $30 for 2GB, $50 for 5GB, $80 for 10GB. UDP is $29.99. So the only way to get a plan that is at least $30/mo is to move to a tiered data plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
right but if you have a basic phone line and use it's upgrade to buy a smartphone and pick a 2GB data plan, what happens now if you never activate the new smartphone on the basic line and instead activate the new smartphone on a UDP or tiered data plan line? Does the 2GB data plan stay on the basic line if no smartphone is ever put on the basic line?

Currently (before 8/25), no data plan would go on the basic line, if you use the upgrade from the basic line but never activate it on the basic line.

But even if you activated the new smartphone on the basic line, once you activate the basic phone back on the line, then you can remove the data plan.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
So currently if we never activate the phone on the line we upgraded, Verizon doesn't seem to mind? And if we do that after 8/24, wonder if that will let us get around this new rule? Seems unlikely, as it'd be a rather obvious oversight if so.

Still, I'm mainly interested in what happens if you upgrade a basic line like this through a third-party retailer like BBM, especially after 8/24.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
So currently if we never activate the phone on the line we upgraded, Verizon doesn't seem to mind?
you are stuck with a pending activation on the line that prevents you from making changes to your account. however, numerous people say it will fall off eventually or you can call and get tier 2 tech to remove it.

And if we do that after 8/24, wonder if that will let us get around this new rule? Seems unlikely, as it'd be a rather obvious oversight if so.
I agree, it would be a rather obvious oversight. But then again, the ease with which we can use our UDP upgrades by transferring them to basic/tiered lines or in the case of 3rd party retailers, simply not using the SIM card that shipped with the phone (both of which are oversight's on verizon's part) gives me hope.

Still, I'm mainly interested in what happens if you upgrade a basic line like this through a third-party retailer like BBM, especially after 8/24.
that does seem to be the safest route since the switch order is attached to the sim card the phone ships with and bypassing the switch order is as simple as discarding that sim card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edneil1967