"Time Without a Signal" bug?

mikehardez

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone, I just got an Epic for Christmas and this is my first post on these forums.

The title is pretty self explanatory, but just to reiterate, does the update to 2.2 (Froyo) on the Epic fix the the "time without a signal" bug, where the phone will have an outrageously high TWS of 50% or more?

I know a workaround is turning airplane mode on and then off after each boot, but this is annoying and I'm not certain that it's a surefire method.

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed in another thread, but I couldn't find any information relating directly to this bug regarding 2.2.

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
mikehardez, I'll pass this on in case you missed out elsewhere on the forums. Someone had a good suggestion to use a program like Tasker to automate the airplane mode toggle on startup.

mikehardez

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Windfrenzy; I'll check that out.

Still, it's disappointing that such a major bug (imagine the battery drain if you didn't know how to work around this problem) isn't being addressed in 2.2. Does anyone know if Samsung has acknowledged the bug?

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
mikehardez, I'll pass this on in case you missed out elsewhere on the forums. Someone had a good suggestion to use a program like Tasker to automate the airplane mode toggle on startup.

is there a guide somewhere to show how to set it up to toggle airplane mode at startup. this app is starting to piss me off

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying the signal drops completely, or are you referring to 3g dormancy as indicated by the "D" on the icon? I'm not being smart...I just don't think I know what the thread is about.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This problem is not dependant on actual signal strength, it's a bug in the system.

Sent by a little green robot

Let me put it a different way... If you always have a decent signal you won't notice the bug... Is this correct?

When you say TWS (time without signal) I am assuming you are referring to the battery drain caused by the phone constantly searching for a signal. If so, isn't this an issue with most phones. Every phone I've had, had this same issue to some extent.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
No, that's not correct. You could be sitting on top of a Sprint cell tower (although I don't recommend it!) and this bug will still present itself.

Upon reboot, the system reads Time Without Signal = 50%. Turning Airplane Mode on and then off fixes this glitch, until you reboot your phone again. This bug can cause your phone to unnecessarily search for signal even if you have strong signal strength, draining your battery. That's why the Airplane Mode toggle after reboot is a good idea.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
This is all news to me. So you are saying every time after re booting/re starting the phone you should also toggle airplane mode on and off?

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes that's what they are saying. check out the sticky on how to improve battery life. There is a good article link in there about this subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteConnor