Torn between 120Hz and QHD

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I do not see any difference whatsoever. I want to see a difference so I feel like I am actually making a choice, and I keep switching back and forth between the two, but I don't even know what I'm looking for. Even the two graphics in the settings don't look any different to me. Is this on websites that you'd see the difference? Could someone give me an example of where to look where it would be noticeable?

Have you never used a 144hz monitor? The difference between that and 60hz is black and white. Even between 75 and 60hz it’s pretty big. Diminishing returns start at around 120hz.

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
IF mine ever shows up. I will know instantly. They could make a phone that's only purpose is displaying Pic or videos. No cameras etc. (i hate cameras). Just like i am walking into any store that sell and display TVs. I can be at the opposite side of the store and tell you how many and which TVs are Samsung. (honest to God true story) Point being, display is every to me. I'm confident that Samsung won't disappoint me with the Note 20 ultra 5g.
Thanks for your opinions good or not so good.

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
Have you never used a 144hz monitor? The difference between that and 60hz is black and white. Even between 75 and 60hz it’s pretty big. Diminishing returns start at around 120hz.
I have no idea what my monitors are. I'm just trying to notice a difference on this phone screen.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I can tell the difference, but it's not enough to make a phone without it feel gimpy. I go back and forth between my S20+ and my iPhone 11 with no issues.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I rarely scroll fast. Granted it is smoother for fast scrolling but this usually only appear evident when moving to the top or bottom of a page. If I'm searching for something on a page I'm not flicking that fast so don't really see the 60 vs 120 difference at slow scrolling.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I wish it could be set to use 120Hz FHD except when viewing photos or videos, when it would automatically switch to 60Hz WQHD+. Going back and forth manually is too much trouble.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Reading this post is like reading the posts from the s20 days. I can't tell the difference, I don't scroll fast when searching, it's a gimmick, I don't want to sacrifice resolution... Sometimes I have to check to make sure I didn't accidently go into the s20 forums.

James Rogers2

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I see the difference. On my iPhone as I scroll down or up after after every 3 or 4 post it stutters to load the next post. On Note 20 it doesn't need to load it just keeps scrolling.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
If you are a gamer then you will notice the difference in FPS games between 60hz and 120hz, especially on a PC monitor. I only game on my PC so having a 144hz setup makes a difference, although the difference from 120hz to 144hz is hardly noticeable.
I don't game on my phones so I will probably not use the 120hz option all the time, but it is nice to have :)

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I never tried 120Hz on any device until today and I didn't know what to expect. But I could immediately see the difference when scrolling, and it's definitely nicer. Still, it's more important to me to have the higher resolution for photos and videos, so I won't be using 120Hz unless they implement the automatic hybrid mode that I described a few posts ago.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are a gamer then you will notice the difference in FPS games between 60hz and 120hz, especially on a PC monitor. I only game on my PC so having a 144hz setup makes a difference, although the difference from 120hz to 144hz is hardly noticeable.
I don't game on my phones so I will probably not use the 120hz option all the time, but it is nice to have :)

Same

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I never tried 120Hz on any device until today and I didn't know what to expect. But I could immediately see the difference when scrolling, and it's definitely nicer. Still, it's more important to me to have the higher resolution for photos and videos, so I won't be using 120Hz unless they implement the automatic hybrid mode that I described a few posts ago.
Whe i look at high resolution photos i can't tell the difference between FHD and WQHD on such a small screen so I choose the 120 refresh rate.

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
Ok, my son just came over and he has a S20 Ultra and he showed me examples of the difference in the refresh rate and I do see it. He says he can't ever go back to not having 120 now. I don't know if the difference is that big for me, but at least I know what everyone's talking about now, and it is easier on the eyes.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok, my son just came over and he has a S20 Ultra and he showed me examples of the difference in the refresh rate and I do see it. He says he can't ever go back to not having 120 now. I don't know if the difference is that big for me, but at least I know what everyone's talking about now, and it is easier on the eyes.
I rather have 90hz or above now in a phone .

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

It's not so much that you're a gamer. It's that games with fast moment lends itself well to displaying the weaknesses of low frame rates. This can also be a problem with watching sports on tv. A lot of movies use motion blur to mask some of these issues so it's not always seen there. Some people are more sensetive or aware of frame rate, but that's not necessarily the result of being a "gamer". I would say gamers in general may be more aware of what to look for, but many gamers don't give a crap. I can differences in frame rate, but unless it's on the really low end, it generally doesn't bother me. Interlaced displays with lots of movement really messed with my eyes though. Not that I see much of that anymore.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
120Hz for me too, but Adaptive ON.

When it's not needed, I never notice it scaling down, when I "need" it, it works flawlessly for me.

I tried a day with the higher rez and no 120 and it was a very painful day for me, so back to 120Hz, it is night a day as other said, but the better rez, not so much.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Tried a comparison between the S20 Ultra in high resolution and the Note 20 Ultra in 120 hertz watching a 4K YouTube video. The Note 20 was actually sharper with much better detailing at the lower resolution. So for me its not all about resolution and it appears a high refresh rate can offer compensation for a lower resolution. Unless of course the difference is explainable because they are two different screens. I just wish they would let us choose resolution and refresh independently for those of us that want the best possible and don't care about battery life.