Touchdown or not to touchdown--Newbie question

mastrcruse

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I got this phone to transition from my blackberry. I need my Outlook calendar, emails, contacts, tasks to stay synced with the phone.

I've seen mixed things but do I need to get touchdown app to have the calendar and tasks work?

Thanks

locationman52

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what touchdown is but Outlook can be synced using the native Android account sync. It has worked well for me since moving to Android last summer. Just go to Settings, Accounts and Sync, Add Account, Microsoft Exchange, and put in the information. You can customize the sync schedule as well.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Android will work perfectly on your calendar if you sync it and configures nicely with Outlook. Depending on how your work email server is configured, you may have to use Touchdown. I have to use Touchdown for work email. No way around it.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone having issues with touchdown not working with the phone? Everything is setup, but the emails are not syncing.

mastrcruse

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I recieved the pdf that has instructions to connect both with touchdown and without. When setting up the new account though without touchdown it tells me that my work is able to change things in my device remotely. I don't want them to have power over my device. Is touchdown a better way to keep them out of my device?

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I recieved the pdf that has instructions to connect both with touchdown and without. When setting up the new account though without touchdown it tells me that my work is able to change things in my device remotely. I don't want them to have power over my device. Is touchdown a better way to keep them out of my device?

No, they can remote wipe the phone if they want to.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Touchdown for sure. The built in email app is terrible in my opinion.

Blitz: is it configured for Activesync?

Mastrcruse: probably not. When you connect, they are probably pushing an AS policy to your phone. If you go to Advanced Setting and then scroll down to the bottom, check out what it says for security policies.

mastrcruse

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks blitz and cory. With either can my company troll my phone and restrict how I use my phone our just auto wipe remotely? Will touchdown give me a little more privacy?

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Touchdown for sure. The built in email app is terrible in my opinion.

Blitz: is it configured for Activesync?

Mastrcruse: probably not. When you connect, they are probably pushing an AS policy to your phone. If you go to Advanced Setting and then scroll down to the bottom, check out what it says for security policies.

Yes, it is configured for active sync, but I cannot see any emails in the folders. I still have my evo 3d and it's receiving emails constantly.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's working now. I refreshed the folders then re-add them and the emails populated the folders. I sent a test email to myself and it read out that it was from me, and the subject line. My evo 3d did not do that. Now I have to figure out how to turn that off. :)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Nah they are likely only using a policy that allows them to wipe your device if it's lost or stolen. They might also require you to enter a pin when you unlock the screen.

mastrcruse

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
So my company made my mind up for me. Since this device is so new, my company doesn't support it being directly on the network...so Touchdown it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick