TouchWiz?

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait to get this phone. I'm gobbling up every video and review of it I can find. I'm upgrading from a Droid Incredible, so this will be a substantial upgrade for me!

I do find myself wondering though how well I'll make the adjustment from Sense to TouchWiz. Are there any folks with the SIII who had to make that switch? If so, what are your thoughts thus far? Should I even bother with TouchWiz, or should I just load up a third-party launcher from the get-go?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't have it but judging by the reviews its not all that bad...

Nice thing is like you said the option of 3rd party launchers is there... Remember though that is only going to replace the launcher and the app drawer, your still going to have Touchwiz appearance and some other things going on that a 3rd party launcher will not change...

If your into rooting and hacking, development on this should be strong and fast so I would expect to the CM9 support for this very quickly which means no more Touchwiz and a vanilla Android experience :)

sdmu

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't like it. I'm experimenting with Go, Apex and Nova launchers right now. They have a lot more options and make using folders and the dock MUCH, MUCH better! Anyone have a preference? In a few hours of playing with them, Go is my favorite.

zack7687

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't have it but judging by the reviews its not all that bad...

Nice thing is like you said the option of 3rd party launchers is there... Remember though that is only going to replace the launcher and the app drawer, your still going to have Touchwiz appearance and some other things going on that a 3rd party launcher will not change...

If your into rooting and hacking, development on this should be strong and fast so I would expect to the CM9 support for this very quickly which means no more Touchwiz and a vanilla Android experience :)
This is what I'm hoping for. I have never rooted a phone, but want to with this one. Hopefully someone creates a step by step how to guide for this phone...hint hint

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The XDA forums are your best resource for rooting and custom roms.

Galaxy S III General - xda-developers
Galaxy S III Android Development - xda-developers

Clicked the link to see what I would be looking forward to when I root my GS3 as it is my first time rooting. I dont know about yall but Im scared to root just by the forums. Lol. The UI for the forum is terrible and an intimidation in itself. Maybe I am just to use to the nice easy read, non chaotic style of forum that AC has giving us. The XDA Forums seems unorganized and like its hard to find what you want without starting a new thread. I shall be asking my root questions here, hoping that someone here can answer them, if all else fails then I'll try XDA :p

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This is what I'm hoping for. I have never rooted a phone, but want to with this one. Hopefully someone creates a step by step how to guide for this phone...hint hint

I'm sure one of us will in due time. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

Get used to the phone completely stock before you go the way of rooting. I root every phone and work on ROMs and such, but i do it knowing it i brick my phone then I'm SOL. If a manufacturer voids my warranty, it was because of my actions. That seems to be the biggest overlooked aspect of rooting. I support complete access to devices, whole heartily, and given OEM support, I'll happily waive them from warranty liability, but make sure you understand the potential $600 cost you're assuming should something go wrong.

Sammy has been tracking on the device if it's been rooted, and it hasnt been used against a consumer yet to my knowledge, but they aren't tracking it without a reason in mind.

b0btech

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
You actually be well off going from sense to touchwiz, It's kind of a learning curve but it's really a good switch I really mean that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think what I'll end up doing is giving TouchWiz a try, but eventually put a third-party launcher on. Apex seems interesting, if for no other reason than Phil seems to highly recommend it in his review!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums