tracing down battery woes in Android on my nexus 6

Anthony Srdar

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I have been having meh battery, maybe 3-4 SoT over the course of a day. I have all green signal, so I know it's not cellular. I have even flipped it to HSPA only, so LTE desn't get used to see if that radio is better.

But for some reason, my largest battery sucker is Google services. I always see it has hours of mobile radio active, is that the problem?

I have tried with BT, WIFI, LOCATION services off, no change. I have minimized all of the google syn stuff to just mail, contacts, and calendar. No other apps to suck up or push/pull either. I have wakelock, and greenify setup on all my games so they are not running in the background.

I use 30~% battery, have tried with adaptive on/off no real change. Same for ambient mode, saw no real change disabling or enabling that either.

I also tried this stock, with only my basic apps loaded, no better battery. I have now rooted, removed encryption, and unlocked the bootloader and this is probably where I saw at least hitting 3 + hours. Before it was 2-3 max SoT.

Oy! Anything else I am missing, or should look out for? I would just be happy with 4 hours on this beast.

EDIT: I also disabled google hangouts, I thought that being on all the time was causing it, it wasn't.

Last edited:

Anthony Srdar

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
so for fun, I disabled background data for a day, and I got to 80%~ battery left with 1.5 hours of SoT and 20 hours of standby...sooooo something is up with google services for sure.

Is it possible to disable google email auto sync and do everything manually as I open applications? I don't mind it, I don't need to have everything sync'd if it burns up 60% battery for the day.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
so for fun, I disabled background data for a day, and I got to 80%~ battery left with 1.5 hours of SoT and 20 hours of standby...sooooo something is up with google services for sure.

Is it possible to disable google email auto sync and do everything manually as I open applications? I don't mind it, I don't need to have everything sync'd if it burns up 60% battery for the day.

Settings, accounts, Google, your email address, unchecked gmail

Posted via the Android Central App

shelbylido

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
My battery life is unbelievable with this phone. I average 60+ phone calls and 40+ emails a day. I took my phone off the charger at 6 am and I am at 63% as of 5:30 pm. That's unheard of. This phone is the real deal.

Anthony Srdar

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
My battery life is unbelievable with this phone. I average 60+ phone calls and 40+ emails a day. I took my phone off the charger at 6 am and I am at 63% as of 5:30 pm. That's unheard of. This phone is the real deal.

What a useless post, can you give some details? The only way I can get good battery is by disabling most of the features that make the phone useful.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Is there a definition as to what each of these mean? By unchecking gmail, what have I disabled the syncing of exactly?

You are disabling automatic gmail sync, which is what the OP wanted to do. He wanted to sync his gmail manually. Everything else in the Google account that remains checked will still sync automatically.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Why dont you try using an app like Tasker to control the background sync. I use it on a Turbo and get 40+ hours out of a battery. I set it up to shut background data down when my screen times out and reconnect when my screen wakes up. I use Gsam battery monitor to see which apps are running in the background. It has a screen in the program called app sucker that tells me which apps have used the battery and the percentage of such. Yes you may have to disable some apps to get stellar battery life.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't disable anything. I found that my battery life has everything to do with my screen brightness.

With my screen at about 30% I can easily get 16 or more hours out of my battery. For me 30% brightness is usually plenty for indoor use.

With my screen at full brightness I'm lucky to get 6 to 8 hours out of my battery. YMMV

Anthony Srdar

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't disable anything. I found that my battery life has everything to do with my screen brightness.

With my screen at about 30% I can easily get 16 or more hours out of my battery. For me 30% brightness is usually plenty for indoor use.

With my screen at full brightness I'm lucky to get 6 to 8 hours out of my battery. YMMV

I already like 30-35%~. I have used it with/without adaptive just to see, no difference really. Are you saying you are lucky to get 6-8 hours of standby + SOT? Or 6-8 hours of SOT? One of those is REALLY good.

Why dont you try using an app like Tasker to control the background sync. I use it on a Turbo and get 40+ hours out of a battery. I set it up to shut background data down when my screen times out and reconnect when my screen wakes up. I use Gsam battery monitor to see which apps are running in the background. It has a screen in the program called app sucker that tells me which apps have used the battery and the percentage of such. Yes you may have to disable some apps to get stellar battery life.

Seems a bit extreme to get decent battery life, but I can see the appeal of it. I'll play around with tasker, and gsam battery. As I use some of these battery life savers, I am starting to see no different. Like greenify, I put a bunch of apps in there to hibernate, but I still see them running as a process.

You are disabling automatic gmail sync, which is what the OP wanted to do. He wanted to sync his gmail manually. Everything else in the Google account that remains checked will still sync automatically.

That's what I wanted, yeah. Is there a breakdown of what each option does exactly?

Is there a way to disable background data and not have it pop up in the navigation pane?

I have yet to find an application that tells me why the phone is staying awake too, why can't any of them tell me exactly which it is?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to disable background data and not have it pop up in the navigation pane?
Yes Tasker will do that.

I have yet to find an application that tells me why the phone is staying awake too, why can't any of them tell me exactly which it is?
Gsam Battery monitor will tell you exactly which wakelock is activated.

Anthony Srdar

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes Tasker will do that.

Gsam Battery monitor will tell you exactly which wakelock is activated.
Itried GSAM battery, but it never told me which wakelock was activated, just google service, or android OS.

Seriously, what does android OS do that keeps the phone awake for so dang long? I am 15 horus off charger and it has had the phone awake for 13 of those hours?