Travel Question - Any help is appreciated!

JamesKBoyd

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
This weekend, I am going on vacation with a few friends way out in middle-of-nowhere Maryland. We will be staying in a cabin, but will have no access to electricity.

I plan on charging my phone up to 100% battery life before I leave, including priming the battery so that it is really at 100%. I also plan on turning GPS off, Mobile Web off, and not having any other non-essential features turned on.

I would like to know what is the best strategy to make my battery last from Friday afternoon to Sunday night.

Should I:

A) Leave the phone on, and put it on Airplane Mode except for when I may need to use it.
or
B) Turn the phone off, and only turn it on when/if I need to use it.

Also, any other cool tips would be appreciated.

JamesKBoyd

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
PS: It is almost essential that the battery last until Sunday, because I work in a sensitive position within the Federal Government, and must have access at any moment to my Voicemail and Email.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Turning your phone off when you aren't using it will be the best way to keep the battery full so long as you aren't turning it off and on constantly.

If you turn off the mobile data, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and 4G. The EVO can get real good battery life if you only use it as a phone. You should also crank down on the screen brightness.

How far will you be from any vehicles? If they aren't too far away, you may want to bring a car charger with you. Even better would be if you or any of the group with you has a portable battery jump start box with a 12V cigarette lighter socket on it.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My suggestions:
  1. Take a car charger (assuming you will have a vehicle nearby)
  2. Buy an extra battery (or two) to take with you
  3. Buy a solar charger: something like this: Amazon.com: Premium Solar Charger
  4. Buy an emergency charger: something like this: Portable cell phone charger

I don't personally have any experience with either of the devices I link to above (so can't vouch for them), but found them with a Google search. I have a solar charger for AA batteries I use for my GPS when I go on long, overnight hikes and camping trips, but it's not USB capable. I need to get one for my phone.

Last edited:

User One

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
This weekend, I am going on vacation with a few friends way out in middle-of-nowhere Maryland. We will be staying in a cabin, but will have no access to electricity.
Will you even have a cell signal out there? If not, then won't your phone be kind of useless anyway?

Last edited:

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
PS: It is almost essential that the battery last until Sunday, because I work in a sensitive position within the Federal Government, and must have access at any moment to my Voicemail and Email.

if you need email, then you will need a data connection. I'd get the extra batteries and get a portable charger.

Use Airplane mode when you can, especially if there is no/very weak signal