Tried and true fix for battery issue

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Got to say, my battery was amazing today. No idea why. Did the bump charge as normal, unplugged for the last time at 8 am.

Plugged the phone in at 10:30 pm, but I still had 36 percent life left.

Throughout the day, I toggled a good bit between wifi and 3g for my data... turned bluetooth on for probably 2 hours total while driving - made 3 phone calls, about 3-5 minutes each over bluetooth through my car system... had 3 other phone calls with bluetooth off, about 5 minutes each. Probably 50-100 google talk messages and 20 SMS messages. I'd say 50 emails, and had facebook and twitter checking for updates hourly through the friendstream app, as well as my news/weather widget (the one from the Moto. Droid) updating every hour as well. To top it all off, I also used 3g to play pandora, then streamed it from my phone to my car audio system for about 30-45 minutes.

Normally, I would be lucky to get 7-8 hours of use... today, I got 14.5 and I was just at 36 percent still, I bet I could have made it to 20+!

Amazing!

PLUS, I was finally able to get the SGP anti-fingerprint screen cover I've been waiting for (go grab one, they just came back in!)... so all in all, a great day for me.

It would be really nice, however, if I could leave my phone plugged in at night :(

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
today my 1750 did quite well, i guess it actually does get significantly better as it cycles.

it's been about 12 hours since i unplugged it and i have 70% left, which is amazing.

it has been a somewhat lighter day of use but with the stock battery even with this amount of usage i would have had a dead phone hours ago.

if i can get this type of use out of this battery, i'm very happy with the money i spent on it. :)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
@Adiliyo are you bump charging to get that life or a regular phone on charge? Hopefully you will tell me a regular charge. My 1750 should be here in a couple days.

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
i've actually been having better battery life lately. probably some of the adjustments to my settings and apps that i have made. i dont know haha

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
@Adiliyo are you bump charging to get that life or a regular phone on charge? Hopefully you will tell me a regular charge. My 1750 should be here in a couple days.

bump charging. also, the first couple days even with the bump charge, i was getting very similar usage from the 1750, but about a week later, it's gotten much better.

maybe tomorrow i will try without and see how well it works, because i really hate to turn my phone off. some kind of side effect of owning a blackberry at some point in my life :p

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I want to get away from the bump charging. If I get this 1750 in and have to do it to get good battery life I'mma be pissed. Thanks for the info.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
everyone says these batteries dont need "broken in" but i swear they work better after a week just as you are saying.

li-ion battery absolutely need a week to level out and be broken in. the difference is there is nothing special you need to do, just use it for a week until it breaks in.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
everyone says these batteries dont need "broken in" but i swear they work better after a week just as you are saying.

if you're talking about the 1750, it says on the packaging that it will have better charge after 5 to 6 cycles.

i figured it was just bs, or a minimal difference, but it does seem to get significantly better.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
if you're talking about the 1750, it says on the packaging that it will have better charge after 5 to 6 cycles.

i figured it was just bs, or a minimal difference, but it does seem to get significantly better.

Thats always good news! I can't wait to get mine.

generous

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Day 1 of the 1750:

Charged fully while powered off last night.
Powered on and unplugged at 8:00AM
Did a bit of web surfing and youtube watching. Gchat as well. My bluetooth, GPS, WIFI are all on. My brightness is set to max. I refuse to activly adjust these settings.

It's now 12:15PM and I'm at 46% of juice left.

At this rate, I'm looking at about 8 hours total. I'm aware that the battery needs 5-6 charges before it works at its best. Sad thing is, it IS an imporvement over stock battery.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
so today was my test of the battery like of the 1750 with no bump charge.

so right now, the battery life is zero. the battery is dead, and the phone won't turn on.

i replaced it with the stock battery and it turned on. when i plug in the phone with the seidio in it, i get a flashing orange led and no boot.

i have a thread about it in these forums, but i figure maybe someone will know what's going on in here

so to recap

seidio: orange led (phone plugged in) and won't turn on

stock/1500mah: phone works and charges fine.

do you guys think it's the phone or battery?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Adiliyo, if it boots with the stock 1300maH then it sounds like the battery. That isn't good news at all for the 1750, unless the 1750 dropped below a level that the phone won't allow it to boot without a bit of charge? How long has the 1750 been off a charge and how low was it the last time you used it?

Try leaving the phone off, with the 1750 in for about 30 minutes to an hour, to charge and see if it boots then.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i think my replacment phone's charging port is broken and that's why it wouldn't boot with the seidio, as it died and then since the port wasn't giving any power to the device, it wouldn't boot.

then when i dropped in my old battery that already had a charge, the phone booted up.

i'm thinking this now as while plugged in, the original battery lost about 15% of it's charge in an hour, which shouldn't be possible if the phone is plugged in.

so i'm using my original phone now, my non bump charge capacity test will have to be tomorrow :)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well as bad as I hate to say this to you Adiliyo, I'm glad it's the phone and not the battery lol. The reason I say that is because I know my charge port works on my phone and I really don't want to get a battery that has issues lol. Good luck figuring it all out!

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Im not convinced about this bump charge, at least with the performance I have experienced. It does seem to have an impact as to how quickly the battery meter goes down initially. but after a couple of tests, I find that at the end of the day the performance is equal regardless of the extra step. This is on the Seidio 1750.