Tried and true fix for battery issue

andyandroid

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. I read earlier that the batter issue can be fixed by unplugging the phone turning it off and plugging it back in once off.

My test-

Unplugged the phone this morning at 8:30 am. (green indicator light)
Turned off and plugged in again 8:31. (red indicator light)
Green indicator light. Unplugged phone and turned on 8:52.
Turned off and plugged back in 8:53. (red indicator light back again)
Green indicator light. Unplugged and left for the day 9:13.

6:17pm 73% battery.

Usage -

20 - emails
35 - texts
1hr - talk time
25min - web surfing
30min - watching How I Met Your Mother (ON CBS.COM!!!)
30min - Chatting on Google Chat

(NOTE THIS IS HOW I'VE USED THIS PHONE AS LONG AS I'VE OWNED IT AND TYPICALLY I'M AT ABOUT 35%. In my typical use I also usually switch from 3G to wifi when I'm at home or at school to conserve battery I did not do this today.)

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
we're tracking this method over (deleted link). I guess linking within the forum doesn't work.

Page #34 of the thread called: "Battery life not lasting? Your fix is in here "

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I just got done doing that trick, along with plugging it back in a few more times while turned off until I got a green light when I plug the charger in. So far it seems pretty good. I'm at 96% after 30 minutes of pretty heavy use streaming Youtube and using google chat. This is on wifi. Normally by now I would be below 90% under the same usage. We will see over the next week.

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed something similar, and I hope that this can be fixed with a software update or something. It's annoying that I have to charge with my phone off, or if I charge with it on, I have to unplug it and plug it back in.

This needs to be addressed.

Jasonrj

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you could be forcing it to over-charge the battery by resetting the charge and giving it more juice before the safety can kick in. Then again, maybe it is just some kind of glitch (wouldn't be surprising on a gen 1).

Sere81

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Wait, so I have turn the phone on and off and plug the power cable in and out a couple of times EVERYTIME I charge up?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes the light turned green and stays that way, on mine, after about 3 charge resets. It takes about 15 minutes or so after the first turned on "full charge" then about 5 minutes for the second one, and 1-2 minutes for the third one. On that one when I tried it one more time the light just signaled green. So far battery life has been awesome tonight.

I've dropped to 75% after 2.5 hours streaming youtube, downloading 4 games one of them being 75mb, and using bluetooth to tether pdanet. No to mention all the other things I did during that time, pretty much nonstop the entire time.

If this discharge rate keeps up I should be able to push it out to 8 hours without rationing my use. I'm going to charge it again like this tomorrow and see if it does the same thing, then try doing a "normal" charge and see if the battery has auto-magically corrected whatever is going on here.

ecksit

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes the light turned green and stays that way, on mine, after about 3 charge resets. It takes about 15 minutes or so after the first turned on "full charge" then about 5 minutes for the second one, and 1-2 minutes for the third one. On that one when I tried it one more time the light just signaled green. So far battery life has been awesome tonight.

I've dropped to 75% after 2.5 hours streaming youtube, downloading 4 games one of them being 75mb, and using bluetooth to tether pdanet. No to mention all the other things I did during that time, pretty much nonstop the entire time.

If this discharge rate keeps up I should be able to push it out to 8 hours without rationing my use. I'm going to charge it again like this tomorrow and see if it does the same thing, then try doing a "normal" charge and see if the battery has auto-magically corrected whatever is going on here.

Sounds pretty sweet hope this works.

But back to the other guys question, do you have to do this unplug turn off plug in repeat thing every time you charge up? Or is it a one time thing?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Nobody knows for sure yet. This is kind of late breaking news. Today is the first day anyone has started trying it, so give it a whirl and see what happens.

People are hoping that the battery of phone just isn't in sync with the amount of juice it can hold and this is a way to force it to reset whatever is stopping the charging, IF, that's whats happening. I know from my experience my phone is lasting longer, still nothing to write home about, but a noticeable difference.

*Edit*
I'm now at 2:00am CST. Battery is at 56% this is 5 hours later. I think this had solved my issues to tell ya the truth, I know it's early to judge but damn.

Last edited:

g77rvd

May 6, 2010
Visit site
definately something i'm going to try out. too bad fully charged right now... guess have a bit of work to do to kill it to give it a trial run.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It's now 4:17 CST and I'm still at 44%....holy hell this thing runs like a dream so far. About to goto bed so my testing for today will be over.

So to round it out, I've been running on the stock battery, mobile network and GPS off wifi and bluetooth on and it's been on the same charge since about 9pm last night. That's 7 hours with 44% left. Normally at 7 hours I would be in a mad rush finding a charger because it's about to shut off.

The way this thing is running now it's averaging about 8% per hour with a mix of normal and heavy usage. Before I was looking in the neighborhood of about 15-20% per hour before this charging tweak. Obviously this isn't a controlled environment, so I'm going to try and hold off judgement until I've used it like this for awhile but it sure is looking bright.

ecksit

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
It's now 4:17 CST and I'm still at 44%....holy hell this thing runs like a dream so far. About to goto bed so my testing for today will be over.

So to round it out, I've been running on the stock battery, mobile network and GPS off wifi and bluetooth on and it's been on the same charge since about 9pm last night. That's 7 hours with 44% left. Normally at 7 hours I would be in a mad rush finding a charger because it's about to shut off.

The way this thing is running now it's averaging about 8% per hour with a mix of normal and heavy usage. Before I was looking in the neighborhood of about 15-20% per hour before this charging tweak. Obviously this isn't a controlled environment, so I'm going to try and hold off judgement until I've used it like this for awhile but it sure is looking bright.

I tried this last night but didn't have as good of luck as you.

I charged my battery completely then unplugged and turned off.

Plugged it in, red light, waited 10 mins til it turned green, unplugged and switched it back on.

Turned it back off and plugged it in, red light, 10 mins was green.

I did this probably 10 times, and each time it would take at least 10 minutes to turn green again.

Am I doing something wrong here? I thought after a couple times it was supposed to turn green and stay green.

Anyways, after about 10 times of doing that I decided maybe I would test it out. Didn't see any difference in the battery life at all. Lasted about 4 hours, using fairly moderately for texting and a few calls.

Also noticed that in cell standby "Time without a signal" was at 10%... which probably kills the battery pretty quick. That might be the issue with it dying so fast in my case, but not sure.

What battery app is everyone using to see what % of the battery you have left? I found a few, but all of them were really complex and had a bunch of junk I don't need. I just need a simple battery app that says what % is left.

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
It seems I have to do this every time I charge. The light will turn green, but if I unplug it, and plug it back in its red again. This is a frustrating fix, because when I leave for work in the morning, I like to take it off its charger and go. Not sit around waiting for it to "actually" charge back up. If my phone isn't the only one doing this though, I suppose its a software issue.

Bats

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Awsome, seems to work so far. my battery usually drops about 10% within 30-35 min without any activity holding at 100% for about 15 min now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos