Tried and true fix for battery issue

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this battery issue has to do with that 4.2 volts. Every single phone I've had since my n95 only went to 4.15 volts, and I've tracked every phone voltage. My nexus won't go above 4.167 volts.

Granted those readings are so close it shouldn't matter. Then again, maybe that point is some odd cutoff for li-ion batteries where it can't hold it quite that high, so it quickly loses charge back down to its operating limits.

I know every incredible I checked was up in the 4.2 volt area, and no phone I've ever owned went that high, including my nexus, which doesn't have this issue. Just a wild theory:).

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I would tend to agree with you. However people with after market batteries don't have this issue. I believe it's the circuitry in the battery itself. Who know, at this point I've given up on fixing it so with people reporting 20-24 hours on a 1750 battery with moderate usage I think that's where I'm going next.

And yes the voltage with green light, is 4.2xx read 100% when unplugged through the phone status and any widget or app you put on the phone. Within 10 minutes it drops to 90%......eck.

Battery life has been better with this trick but still not anything to be happy with, I was in the first couple of days of doing it, but since then I still only get 8-10 hours on the phone. Still better than 5 though right?!

i have the 1750 battery and with my moderate use there is NO way on earth i will get 20+ hours of use.

the 1750 has basically made it so i can get through a day without constantly worrying about having a charging source handy around 5 or 6pm.

personally i think it's karma getting me for making fun of my iphone friends when i had my bb tour and moto droid and wouldn't have to ever worry about my battery like i do now.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
i have the 1750 battery and with my moderate use there is NO way on earth i will get 20+ hours of use.

the 1750 has basically made it so i can get through a day without constantly worrying about having a charging source handy around 5 or 6pm.

personally i think it's karma getting me for making fun of my iphone friends when i had my bb tour and moto droid and wouldn't have to ever worry about my battery like i do now.

LOL. Ok, thanks.

I'll stick to my plan - 3000+ mAh battery & be done with this issue once and for all.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Howarmat a couple post ago said he was getting 20-24 hours on his no sweat and he's not the only person I've seen reporting 12-24 hours on their batteries. I can pull 12-16 hours with moderate use on my STOCK battery. Under normal heavy usage I only get about 8-10 though :/ I tend to go heavy on my batteries so I see no reason I couldn't get 12-14 hours on a 1750.

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Guys, the more we get into discussing hours of battery life on our devices, the less accurate our perceptions of the batteries are going to become.

It's near-impossible to define "light usage" vs "moderate usage" vs "heavy usage" on terms we can all agree by. From a high level, sure, we all agree that moderate means more than light, and heavy means more than moderate, but since we all use our devices differently, we can't be sure that we're assuming moderate to be the same across the board.

My point is this: sure, someone might get 24 hours of life with moderate usage on their device using the 1750 battery, but their moderate may be your light. Who knows...

All we can really agree on is that the stock battery sucks, and there's something weird going on with how it's charging. Instead of comparing hourly times, we'd do better to simply state "I noticed a huge improvement in my battery life after doing _____," or "My battery did better before I _______."

If we start comparing times to each other, we're not going to get anywhere. It's fine to monitor your OWN times for a comparison of life, but it's pointless to compare to others'.

Mitch R.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
charge voltage

I wonder if this battery issue has to do with that 4.2 volts. Every single phone I've had since my n95 only went to 4.15 volts, and I've tracked every phone voltage. My nexus won't go above 4.167 volts.

Granted those readings are so close it shouldn't matter. Then again, maybe that point is some odd cutoff for li-ion batteries where it can't hold it quite that high, so it quickly loses charge back down to its operating limits.

I know every incredible I checked was up in the 4.2 volt area, and no phone I've ever owned went that high, including my nexus, which doesn't have this issue. Just a wild theory:).
From what vie read, 4.3 is the maximum cutoff voltage for li-ion cells. Basically, if you charge above this voltage, you're playing with fire and things can get dangerous. Also, one article I read said you don't want to keep these cells at 4.2 for long periods of time.

Someone on another forum mentioned that RC hobbyists found that the best cutoff voltage for their purposes was around 4.05v. This provides the most power while extending the number of charge cycles over the lifetimes of the cells.

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Guys, the more we get into discussing hours of battery life on our devices, the less accurate our perceptions of the batteries are going to become.

It's near-impossible to define "light usage" vs "moderate usage" vs "heavy usage" on terms we can all agree by. From a high level, sure, we all agree that moderate means more than light, and heavy means more than moderate, but since we all use our devices differently, we can't be sure that we're assuming moderate to be the same across the board.

My point is this: sure, someone might get 24 hours of life with moderate usage on their device using the 1750 battery, but their moderate may be your light. Who knows...

All we can really agree on is that the stock battery sucks, and there's something weird going on with how it's charging. Instead of comparing hourly times, we'd do better to simply state "I noticed a huge improvement in my battery life after doing _____," or "My battery did better before I _______."

If we start comparing times to each other, we're not going to get anywhere. It's fine to monitor your OWN times for a comparison of life, but it's pointless to compare to others'.

Has anyone tried to call Verizon concerning this? What is their standpoint on this whole issue?

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
On the 1750 battery, I'm currently at 78% life left after 5 hours unplugged. This includes some texting and a 25 minute long phone call and about a 2:1 up/awake time ratio. Kind of disappointed in the performance of the battery, and I think is pretty much my only complaint with the phone. Hopefully it can be remedied soon via an update.

Chondog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
@ wavechaser:

I agree. Having poor battery life because it's an inconvenience is vastly different than the discussion people on this thread are getting into now. I.e., that the 4.2 voltage the Inc battery is charging could be dangerous.

I think there's enough of a concern that Vzw or HTC should respond.

spicedham

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Just realized today the battery charges more while off than on and it has to be charged while off every time to have that extra charge. There's no conditioning. It just charges the battery more while the phone is off. I think its probably a software issue

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site

This is totally true, and I agree with it. Usage does very from person to person and a dynamic variable is not something fair to place comparisons on. However it's the only indication we have to go by, because battery drain per hour is also dynamic. The only controlled variable we would have is to set the battery onto a discharge station and see how long it takes, then bump charge it and try again.

In the end the battery sucks on this device plain and simple.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
just to be clear, i was never saying that it was impossible to get 20+ hours of usage.

i was stating that on my phone, with my version of moderate usage (gps on, sync on, screen at 25ish % brightness, mostly texting very few phone calls, sporadic internet use, and a little bit of reading at night) there is no way my 1750 would last over 20 hours, which is fine for me, as i have 3 batteries to go to if i really need it.

with the same usage on the stock battery, i was lucky if i got 6 to 8 hours before it was in the red. so something is wrong beyond the stock battery simply being anemic.

oh, and the 14ish hour charge is with the bump charge. (so was the 6 to 8)

locoman56

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting 24hrs + on mine. I would consider myself a light user. I have a Gmail account but I don't use the Gmail widget, I use K-9 mail for Gmail and my Yahoo account. I don't use any on screen htc widgets like the clock or weather, I use retro clock and retro date and I have the weather icon to use when I want to know the weather. I don't send or receive a lot of messages. I have two spare batteries I got off ebay and they work good and I don't use the phone to charge them, I use a universal wall charger. The only time I notice the battery dropping faster is when I use the browser on the internet for extended periods. Right now I'm on 17hrs 15mins Up Time and 2hrs 54mins Awake Time with 50% of my battery left.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Every morning when I wake up I unplug my phone (from a supposed full charge) and read all of my news feeds on Google Reader for about 15 minutes (7:30am). That drops me down to 89% or so. I then plug it back in and get ready for work. When I leave the indicator is green again (8:30am). I usually go to sleep around 1-2am and by that time depending on my usage I am usually between 20-45% left without any charging during the day. So I am getting great battery life for me.

I don't know what my usage would be considered but in a typical day here is what I do with my phone:

GPS on all the time, never turn it off
Bluetooth on when driving to from work (about 2 hours a day)
WiFi on when I'm at home and I remember to turn it on
2-3 five minute phone calls a day
50-150 messages via Google Talk
5-10 text messages
Push email with my Exchange account receiving about 30 emails a day
3 Gmail accounts setup receiving about 10 emails total a day
Haptic feedback on
Vibrate setting used while at work then Audible plus vibrate at home
Screen brightness set to automatic
Weather updates every hour
Occasional checking of facebook and Twitter throughout the day ( I have FaceBook set to never auto refresh and Twitter refreshes every 4 hours.)
I don't use the HTC Twitter or FaceBook apps so no people syncing (i use the official apps)
About an hour of total web browsing

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I consider myself a moderate to heavy user. 100-200 emails per day (I'm an eCommerce Director), dozens of texts, IM'ing, only about 20-30 minutes a day talking on it, GPS on, 3G on, Screen Auto Brightness, Bluetooth on while driving (about 1 hour total), about 15-20 minutes of remote desktoping, and other services running and syncing hourly such as FaceBook, Twidroid, FeedR RSS, etc.

-With my stock battery I was able to make it 8-9 hours.

-With the Touch Pro2 1500 mAh battery I typically made it 10-12 hours.

-After just 3 power cycles with the Seidio I am now able to make it 24 hours. I hope it will continue to get better, but if not, I don't mind. 24 hours was my benchmark.

Needless to say, I am very happy with the Seidio battery and will be keeping it. All I ever want to be able to do is make it through a FULL day (wake to sleep) without having to think about my battery and while not having to make any sacrifices on what I want to use. With the Seidio battery "I" am able to achieve this goal.

ShannonDavis

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
My battery life did improve. Yesterday I had to recharge before noon. Today I was still (barely) in the green when I started recharging at 4:00 PM.