Ultra compared to Note 9 size?

Zenonek

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
Posted on another thread:
https://www.hotspot3d.com/#compare/...us-prism-white/samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-black

Hotspot3d matches up with what I thought earlier today - held a demo s20 ultra in a store and had my s10+ with me. s20 ultra is a bit taller but the width is pretty much the same, it didn't feel "too big"

I disagree. I also played with all three s20s, when the phone is as big as s20+ each milimetee counts, Ultra is to big.. even by just a few mm.
Curently have s10+, preordered s20+.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. I also played with all three s20s, when the phone is as big as s20+ each milimetee counts, Ultra is to big.. even by just a few mm.
Curently have s10+, preordered s20+.

Yeah, biggest Samsung flagship ever. Massive difference between it and the S10 Plus in overall cubic volume (millimeters). I keep this chart to help me decide on phones each year. Here's how it compares:

S20 Ultra:
Note 9: 108,848.608
OnePlus 7 Pro: 108,603.792
Note 8: 104,533.0
11 Pro Max: 99,568.44
S10 5G: 99,539.4924
S9 Plus: 99,176.13
Note10 Plus: 98,983.524
Pixel 4 XL: 98,777.528
Lumia 920: 98,710.068
OnePlus 7T: 97,400.437
OnePlus 6T: 96,604.2
S8 Plus: 94,829.13
XS Max: 93,866.85
S20 Plus: 93,506.4
S10 Plus: 91,089.648

Webb1023

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Yes it's taller, yes it's a beast of a phone but to me I thought it would feel bigger in the hand based on the dimensions, and it didn't because it's essentially the same width and the difference is mainly in the height. Personally I think a lot of fuss is being made over the size of it by people who haven't seen it in person and are just going by the specs. (Those of us who have can make a more informed opinion and for some it's fine and for some not, that's why they made the s20+)

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I am also trying to navigate ahead in my head to the Summer, the Ultra is fine in a big coat pocket now but will be a real burden in shorts.

I think I want the S20+ but I am struggling to reconcile getting the inferior camera setup. I still may even not bother and stick wth my OnePlus 7 pro, actually if it had an always on display and wireless charging I'd defineately stick with the OP.

Webb1023

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Go and try one in a shop. The EE store I went to in London actually had one that wasn't connected to anything and I slipped the ultra into my pocket for a moment (slim fit chinos) to see if it stuck out, and no it didn't. Yes, shorts with smaller pockets will be a pain but for me they kinda already are with my s10+...

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I hear this every time a huge phone comes out... "it's not as big as I thought." Not even 1 month in, and many that got it are already tired of the size. It's literally the biggest Samsung flagship ever. Just be aware of that. If you do go with the Ultra, I hope it's everything you ever wanted and you enjoy it immensely (no pun intended).

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I hear this every time a huge phone comes out... "it's not as big as I thought." Not even 1 month in, and many that got it are already tired of the size. It's literally the biggest Samsung flagship ever. Just be aware of that. If you do go with the Ultra, I hope it's everything you ever wanted and you enjoy it immensely (no pun intended).

I know I'm likely in the minority, but I wish it was wider and shorter for a better movie/video viewing experience... at least that would be better to me, lol.

I think I'm at a point now where it will take a folding phone like the original Fold to earn my bucks. Not being one to pay thousands of dollars for early adopting completely new tech... it'll be another 2 or 3 iterations before I'm comfortable.

We'll see what the rumored Fold 2 brings to the table, then decide on another iteration or two.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Finally, someone else saying the same thing I've been saying. It looks like the demos are available, I'm going to BB after work to take a look.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site

This is so true. In a controlled environment I’m sure it will be fine but where I felt the burden of the note 10+ (and to some extent my current OP7 pro) is using it on the move.

I pre-ordered the plus this afternoon. Can still change my mind or even cancel completely but the plus feels like the best one for me. I will watch camera reviews with interest though, couldn’t care less about the 100x but if the overall camera is significantly better on the ultra I may re-evaluate! There is still a chance you know that the pixel binning won’t work as well we hope and that the 20/20+ could actually be the better general camera!

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
This is so true. In a controlled environment I’m sure it will be fine but where I felt the burden of the note 10+ (and to some extent my current OP7 pro) is using it on the move.

I pre-ordered the plus this afternoon. Can still change my mind or even cancel completely but the plus feels like the best one for me. I will watch camera reviews with interest though, couldn’t care less about the 100x but if the overall camera is significantly better on the ultra I may re-evaluate! There is still a chance you know that the pixel binning won’t work as well we hope and that the 20/20+ could actually be the better general camera!

Size-wise, whether you get the regular S20 or the S20 Plus, I think you made the right choice avoiding the Ultra. I know everyone is different with their preferences and that it's largely subjective, but for most of us using something like the Ultra will be a burden unless you, for some reason, prefer to use two hands on your phone a lot of the time.

If you want to know whether or not you made the right choice size-wise, just go to any Best Buy or carrier shop and hold and S10 Plus. The overall volume of the S20 Plus is almost identical to that of the S10 Plus. In fact, despite being slightly taller, the overall cubic volume of the S20 Plus is ever so slightly smaller than the S10 Plus. Basically, those two phones will feel identical in the hand.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I know I'm likely in the minority, but I wish it was wider and shorter for a better movie/video viewing experience... at least that would be better to me, lol.

I think I'm at a point now where it will take a folding phone like the original Fold to earn my bucks. Not being one to pay thousands of dollars for early adopting completely new tech... it'll be another 2 or 3 iterations before I'm comfortable.

We'll see what the rumored Fold 2 brings to the table, then decide on another iteration or two.

I agree that it would be nice if it were a little wider for 16:9 YouTube videos but the fold also has a weird aspect ratio in that it is more square so you'll get black bars with that as well

I'd be curious to see a Netflix 21:9 movie on the ultra side by side with the fold, because of the square screen on the fold I'll bet the difference is not as much as you would think

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just compared my Ultra Case to my Note 10 case. Width practically the same. Height, maybe 1/4 inch. Maybe 1/8 inch deeper. If you compare it to an S10 + it is more noticable.

DanielLoreti

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
Played with the Utra at my local best buy today and I'm in love lol. I was able to use it just fine one handed. I'm rockin a Note 9 right now and it's fine one handed. I like that the ultra is thinner but longer. It was super smooth on both 90 and 120hz as well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Played with the Utra at my local best buy today and I'm in love lol. I was able to use it just fine one handed. I'm rockin a Note 9 right now and it's fine one handed. I like that the ultra is thinner but longer. It was super smooth on both 90 and 120hz as well.
How did the black look

DanielLoreti

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
How did the black look

Looked great. I have the Ocean blue Note 9 but I have a black case on it lol. I actually prefer black for my electronics. Have the black galaxy buds and black band on my galaxy watch. It definitely seemed like a fingerprint magnet though. Going to throw a nice clear case on the Ultra.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia