um, does the nexus 6 camera have Image Stabilization?? this article says it does!?

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Google Nexus 6 review: The pure phablet : Reviews, News - India Today

The Camera paragraph is about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way down, and they state that the camera has IS? Mind you, they're in India, could they be using a different version of tyres nexus 6 that has IS?

Dumb question, is IS a software feature or a hardware feature? IE - can it be added to a phone's camera app later via an ota update? Or can someone develop a camera app that has IS where the stock one doesn't?

Thanks! I have missed many many pictures of our kids because the phone doesn't have IS and it takes f'ing FOREVER to autofocus and snap a picture!

Posted via the Android Central App

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Everything I see says it does.

CAMERA
Primary 13 MP, 4128 x 3096 pixels, autofocus, optical image stabilization, dual-LED (ring) flash
Features Dual recording, geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, photo sphere, panorama, HDR
Video 2160p@30fps, optical stabilization
Secondary 2 MP

Mav. :cool:

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
So it is just turned on always? Why does it take such horrible pictures of moving objects?? Or is it that the camera hardware is capable of using IS, but the camera app doesn't have it yet? Usually if IS is available, there is an option to turn it on/off. I don't see that in the factory camera app.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
If you are using hdri for fast moving images, don't. You can also get other cameras on Google play that have faster shutter speeds.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Google Nexus 6 review: The pure phablet : Reviews, News - India Today

The Camera paragraph is about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way down, and they state that the camera has IS? Mind you, they're in India, could they be using a different version of tyres nexus 6 that has IS?

Dumb question, is IS a software feature or a hardware feature? IE - can it be added to a phone's camera app later via an ota update? Or can someone develop a camera app that has IS where the stock one doesn't?

Thanks! I have missed many many pictures of our kids because the phone doesn't have IS and it takes f'ing FOREVER to autofocus and snap a picture!

It's a hardware feature. Best bet when uncertain from reading reviews is to go to the manufacturer.

Rear Camera
13 MP IMX 214 Image Sensor
f / 2.0 aperture
Optical Image Stabilization
Ring flash with dual LEDs
4K UHD video capture
2160p (4K) UHD, 1080p HD and 720p HD video capture modes (30fps)
4X digital zoom
HDR+
Panorama, PhotoSphere and Lens Blur
(Source)​

So it is just turned on always? Why does it take such horrible pictures of moving objects?? Or is it that the camera hardware is capable of using IS, but the camera app doesn't have it yet? Usually if IS is available, there is an option to turn it on/off. I don't see that in the factory camera app.

If you have HDR+ on, it will do poorly in capturing moving objects as it is taking a burst of multiple exposures and focal points and then processing them to come up with a 'best' result. If an element of the shot is in motion, it creates issues.

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Id say HDR+ is good for stuff that does not move and amazing for night photos. Moving stuff - either turn HDR+ off or use different camera app.

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Any suggestions on better/faster camera apps? My kids literally don't sit still long enough for it to go through it's motions to take a picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olyria10