Question Unsupported media

stigofthedump

Mar 12, 2024
Visit site
I have an alcatel phone. Until recently I have been taking photos and videos. Now I can't do either and see the message "unsupported media". What has happened? How can I solve this problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's the Alcatel 1, released in 2018 -- it's a 6 year old phone, so there's a possibility that hardware is starting to fail.

When exactly do you see the Unsupported Media error -- is it right after you take a photo? How many photos and videos are already stored in Internal Storage, and have you backed any of it up (like to an external hard drive, or to Google Photos or other cloud storage)? Since there's a possibility of impending hardware failure, I would strongly recommend trying to backup any important data that's currently only stored on the phone, in case things completely fail soon.

stigofthedump

Mar 12, 2024
Visit site
That's the Alcatel 1, released in 2018 -- it's a 6 year old phone, so there's a possibility that hardware is starting to fail.
When exactly do you see the Unsupported Media error -- is it right after you take a photo? How many photos and videos are already stored in Internal Storage, and have you backed any of it up (like to an external hard drive, or to Google Photos or other cloud storage)? Since there's a possibility of impending hardware failure, I would strongly recommend trying to backup any important data that's currently only stored on the phone, in case things completely fail soon.
Amazon described it as a 2021 phone. See screenshot. If the description was incorrect and the phone was/is 3 years older then I need to complain to Amazon. When I try to take a video I hear a "beeping" noise and nothing happens. when I take a photo the phone makes a noise as if it is taking a photo but I can't find it saved on the phone.

1726895117831.png

Attachments

• 1726895098058.png
    1726895098058.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh you're right -- that 5033d designation was also used for the Alcatel 1 from 2018, but it looks like the Volcano black color is for the 2021 variant.

How many photos/videos are already saved to the phone? Can you see them using a gallery app, or by using a file manager and looking in the /DCIM/Camera folder?

stigofthedump

Mar 12, 2024
Visit site
Oh you're right -- that 5033d designation was also used for the Alcatel 1 from 2018, but it looks like the Volcano black color is for the 2021 variant.

How many photos/videos are already saved to the phone? Can you see them using a gallery app, or by using a file manager and looking in the /DCIM/Camera folder?
About 12 photos and 3 short videos. I can view them using Gallery.

stigofthedump

Mar 12, 2024
Visit site
He probably isn't using the slot or the card failed. Or the ssd is failing. I'd buy a SD card and try to copy to it, and switch to it as the camera save location. Clean up some internal space too. Give it a reboot and test.
What is SSD? I bought a SanSD card a couple of months ago after I was getting messages about low storage. It worked fine after I inserted it. I will try to work out how to set the card as the camera save location. Most of the phones space is taken up with apps I don't want and will never use but I am told they can't be deleted. Reboot? Do you mean switch off then on? Or is there a specific Reboot option ? If yes then where do I find it? Thanks so much for your help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I should've mentioned this earlier -- try clearing the app cache/data for the Camera app. Go to Settings>Apps, select Camera, then Storage, and clear the cache and data there. Then Force Stop the app. Now open the Camera app and try taking a photo.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
What is SSD? I bought a SanSD card a couple of months ago after I was getting messages about low storage. It worked fine after I inserted it. I will try to work out how to set the card as the camera save location. Most of the phones space is taken up with apps I don't want and will never use but I am told they can't be deleted. Reboot? Do you mean switch off then on? Or is there a specific Reboot option ? If yes then where do I find it? Thanks so much for your help.

By ssd, I'm referring to the phones internal memory.
By reboot, yes, switch off then on, and clear the phones cache if that option is there.
You should be able to clear space even on apps that you can't delete by going to each one through settings, and choosing to delete data and /or cache.
Good luck

Reactions: Laura Knotek

stigofthedump

Mar 12, 2024
Visit site
Have cleared cache and data. Still can't take photos or videos. Unsupported media message is displayed when I try to view a photo. Can't work out how to set camera location. There are over40 apps on my phone. I am guessing I don't use or want 37 of them. Will start clearing space on them. Might get it done by Xmas 😱

stigofthedump

Mar 12, 2024
Visit site
I should've mentioned this earlier -- try clearing the app cache/data for the Camera app. Go to Settings>Apps, select Camera, then Storage, and clear the cache and data there. Then Force Stop the app. Now open the Camera app and try taking a photo.
Done that. No improvement. Thanks for your help but I now wondering if the phone is faulty and whether I should contact amazon for a refund. I bought the phone as new, not used, about 6 months ago.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rebestaren