Update 5.9.901?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was traveling today and used it quite a bit. Still had 40% when I put it on the dock. I have the external charger and extra battery so I don't worry about it too much.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

hiono

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting crappy battery life also and it's always the most random things killing it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

cvo515

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
i am new to the bionic, just swapped my inc2 for one off CL. I am along time sense user so this will take a bit to get used to.. figured it was time for a change. so far so good the phone is in flawless condition. i see that you guys got an update. i am on the 5.5.893 version, and i have no software update available right now. i see some ppl got this on an OTA. am i the only one who didnt get this yet? thanks in advance

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
i am new to the bionic, just swapped my inc2 for one off CL. I am along time sense user so this will take a bit to get used to.. figured it was time for a change. so far so good the phone is in flawless condition. i see that you guys got an update. i am on the 5.5.893 version, and i have no software update available right now. i see some ppl got this on an OTA. am i the only one who didnt get this yet? thanks in advance

No, it was accidentally released to some people OTA, but, it was pulled fairly quickly as it wasn't supposed to go out yet. Some people managed to capture the update so a lot of us manually installed it. It should be pushed out in a week or two. But there's always a chance that it won't be 901 when they start it up again. But since it was pushed to people's phones, VZW will have to support it regardless.

Reactions: cvo515

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My battery life was better with 893 than it is with 901.

Sent from my 4G Xoom using Tapatalk.

It seems very mixed. Some people like me have no issue with battery life on 901. Others, and it seems quite a few of you, have noticed a negative impact. I'm guessing it's because of the radio tuning they're doing. Trying to keep those connections stable....probably sacrificing battery life as a result. Just a guess.

cvo515

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No, it was accidentally released to some people OTA, but, it was pulled fairly quickly as it wasn't supposed to go out yet. Some people managed to capture the update so a lot of us manually installed it. It should be pushed out in a week or two. But there's always a chance that it won't be 901 when they start it up again. But since it was pushed to people's phones, VZW will have to support it regardless.

Thanks man for quick reply. Loving phone. Looking forward to this community. Pretty popular phone

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man for quick reply. Loving phone. Looking forward to this community. Pretty popular phone

We have an *AMAZING* community. Spread over many forums. The fact that my phone is running rooted 901 instead of being bricked and on its way back to VZW is testament to that. The phone, IMO, is getting better and better with each update. ICS is going to be killer on this thing.

akorcovelos

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't think this has been answered yet. Im forever rooted and running purity, and also on 7.893. If I follow the "return to upgrade path" link will I still be rooted when all is said and done? Will I still be able to use purity? My phone already runs like a Ferrari the way it is now, but it sounds like .901 is even better?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
901 is likely to be an official upgrade path version, so, it's probably better just for that reason alone. As for retaining root, it depends on the method you use to go back to the upgrade path. I kept root, but, my "method" was convoluted and not recommended. :D I'd do some research into the 3 ways to do it and choose the one that seems like it's easiest to follow for you.

Doherty45

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I made an offer to buy a bionic from craigslist that is rooted and running .901, my question is how hard is it to unroot? Will a rooted phone still get the ota upgrades? The seller claims yes but I would like a little confirmation before buying. I know that this is probably a newbie question but I've only had an android for about 6 months (thunderbolt) and am new to the root world. Thanks to any replies.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am so angry! My knee hurts, my house is a mess, I ran out of one of medications, its almost 4 am and I can't sleep, but to top it off, I haven't gotten my update! Aaaahhhhhh.... lol!

Have a nice night!

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I made an offer to buy a bionic from craigslist that is rooted and running .901, my question is how hard is it to unroot? Will a rooted phone still get the ota upgrades? The seller claims yes but I would like a little confirmation before buying. I know that this is probably a newbie question but I've only had an android for about 6 months (thunderbolt) and am new to the root world. Thanks to any replies.

Rooted phones will still get the updates.

akorcovelos

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
901 is likely to be an official upgrade path version, so, it's probably better just for that reason alone. As for retaining root, it depends on the method you use to go back to the upgrade path. I kept root, but, my "method" was convoluted and not recommended. :D I'd do some research into the 3 ways to do it and choose the one that seems like it's easiest to follow for you.

Ok, so there is a way to keep root, but is it true you can't use the existing roms like purity after the upgrade?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so there is a way to keep root, but is it true you can't use the existing roms like purity after the upgrade?

Yes....and no. :) The issue is that 901 introduces a completely new radio. The system files that most roms are based on are incompatible with the new radio. So what happens is you boot up and can't connect to anything....not even wifi. The fix is to copy some RIL files to a certain directory in the rom. Read this thread....FULLY:

.901 radio working with custom rom! - RootzWiki

Reactions: akorcovelos

McBane

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm sure as hell never buying another Motorola ever again if they keep locking the bootloaders. Coming from Samsung who "leaks" updates all the time and practically encourages the activity I know who my next Android phone maker will be.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've always liked the Moto hardware build quality. I wish they'd push an unlockable bootloader, but, it doesn't seem overly likely. I'm going to have to really weigh the options before I buy another phone. Coming from an OG Droid and Xoom, I really am spoiled by unlockable bootloaders. The Bionic being my first experience with them. So far, it's been a mixed bag. Only because the of the tenacity of the entire Bionic community were we able to get back on the upgrade path from leaks. Not a situation I wish to push my luck on, tbh.

wjfeilen

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. We are on 5.5 still. We have continued to check for an upgrade, but are being given the message we are up to date. I would really like to update. We aren't rooted.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. We are on 5.5 still. We have continued to check for an upgrade, but are being given the message we are up to date. I would really like to update. We aren't rooted.

Was there a question in there somewhere? :) 5.5.??? 886 is stock and you should see an update if you're still on that. 893 is the first ota update and if you're on that you won't see an update available. That's because 5.9.901 was pushed to a few people accidentally and was then pulled from the update server.

hoffer1120#AC

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Update 5.9.901???

I have a rooted Bionic and using forever root.I put the update on external sd card and ran the update from clockwork recovery. The update failed (invalid package). I then tried the update from stock recovery and it also failed (bloatware check). Moved bloatware back to system folder, and ran from stock recovery again. The update installed with no problems and I retained root access. The data signal has been reliable and battery life seems to have improved significantly. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymous Jones