Upgrade fee: What a load of crap, Verizon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Re: What a load of crap, Verizon....

They are not playing games, yet they only show it under the button, hidden? Why not show it up front in the open if it isn't a game?

I'm not throttled on TMobile nor Sprint...

If you hit a certain amount, you will be throttled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

were you a new customer or adding a line? Upgrade fees are only $30 on Verizon. Activation fees for new lines are $35.

Existing (long time, since they were Airtouch) customer, upgraded 2 lines during the, "whoops, we accidentally let you keep unlimited" weekend. I would have to dig out the original invoice, but they credited $70.

Posted from my XT1080M

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

It's all over the Verizon website and posted by the phones at the stores but you would have to actually READ it to know. That is the REAL problem here - people don't bother to read.

If people read, I don't think they'd get nearly as many people signing up as they do. Verizon (and other companies) do stuff like this counting no one will read it, and won't catch on until it's too late.

If you hit a certain amount, you will be throttled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not on a truly unlimited TMobile/Sprint plan. Have yet to be throttled and I use a bunch of LTE. Now, I think they'd throttle torrents, but due to the network congestion torrents cause, I think they have every right to.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Existing (long time, since they were Airtouch) customer, upgraded 2 lines during the, "whoops, we accidentally let you keep unlimited" weekend. I would have to dig out the original invoice, but they credited $70.
go ahead and dig them out and scan them in and post them showing the $35 upgrade fee.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

If people read, I don't think they'd get nearly as many people signing up as they do. Verizon (and other companies) do stuff like this counting no one will read it, and won't catch on until it's too late.
Verizon issued press releases on this when they changed their policies. It is posted by every phone in the stores that there is an upgrade fee. It is all over Verizon's website in the phones section that there is an upgrade fee. And the fee is $30. You pay sales tax on the upgrade fee in my state and I am sure in many other states also.

Upgrade Fee FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Bottom line - this is NOT a hidden fee like some of you are suggesting. And it also is not a $35 fee like some of you are stating. OP got confused because the activation fees were being waived and thought that an activation fee was the same as an upgrade fee. It is not. Read the link I provided if you have doubts.

Simple searches will find this information for you. It is not hidden at all. Rather, it was loudly and publicly announced by Verizon when they instituted this policy. I personally hate the policy but Verizon certainly didn't hide it from me.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

It takes all of 2 minutes to take a screen shot and black out your phone numbers. Far less time than you have spent here posting, replying and reading.

You're not posting the screen shot because you know you were wrong. The upgrade fee is $30, not $35. It's the activation fee that is $35. The information is readily available on Verizon's site online if you do a simple search.

No, I'm not going to post it for the reasons I stated. Despite your over-inflated opinion of yourself, you don't get to decide what other people think or why they do things.

Now, having said that, perhaps Verizon owes me $5? It wouldn't be the first mistake they've made. Last time I called and upgraded (to my RAZR MAXX) two years ago I called three different times and got three different answers from the phone reps about upgrade options.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I just upgraded Feb 1, On my receipt clearly states upgrade fee of $30. On an old receipt from when i purchased my RMHD in which i paid full retail for there was also an upgrade fee of 30. Don't understand why so many are crying about it. If you are so concerned about it pay it then call and complain and try and get it credited. If you are getting it online you are actually getting a better price anyway. I did mine in store thinking i would get the same price, but.... Because in some states mail in rebates are not allowed you get a better price online. example online the HTC One which i purchased is $49, In store it is $149 with a mail in rebate of $50. so in all i am still paying much more than it would be if i had purchased it online with the same upgrade fee. In the end #quitcherbitchin

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Only the most oblivious people are going to miss it when it's RIGHT UNDER THE BUTTON. They aren't hiding it there, they're making it obvious & plain to see there. If they wanted to hide it, they'd put an asterisk next to the button and make you scroll down the page to find out about it. You don't like the charge, that's fine, but they haven't gone to great lengths to hide it - they've actually put it in a very obvious and noticeable place, in a reasonable font, in plain language, and with a link to more information. Yes, it's probably a "because they can" kind of charge for the most part, but that happens with nearly every business in some way or another. At least you didn't find out about the fee after the fact, or when you went to make payment.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Not those of us with Unlimited data who want to keep it. If I go off Unlimited, I don't want to pay Verizon more $$ each month to finance a phone I am already paying a subsidy for.

Posted from my XT1080M

I was one of "those" people, but Verizon clamped down way too hard. Having to buy every phone outright is ridiculous just to "keep unlimited data" It's a great novelty, but the money that you save by switching to the edge plan outweighs unlimited data. Having brand new devices the day it comes out and only having to pay half to turn it in to get a new device is killer. How much data do you use anyway. WiFi is everywhere. Optimum Wifi, Xfinity, TWC.

"Those of you" who abuse data and use more than 4gb a month is the reason why Verizon cracked down on data in the first place. Unlimited is a thing of the past. The money that you save from the edge plan or switching to family plans dwarfs your savings. You lose your title, worse things have happened.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Verizon issued press releases on this when they changed their policies. It is posted by every phone in the stores that there is an upgrade fee. It is all over Verizon's website in the phones section that there is an upgrade fee. And the fee is $30. You pay sales tax on the upgrade fee in my state and I am sure in many other states also.

Upgrade Fee FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Bottom line - this is NOT a hidden fee like some of you are suggesting. And it also is not a $35 fee like some of you are stating. OP got confused because the activation fees were being waived and thought that an activation fee was the same as an upgrade fee. It is not. Read the link I provided if you have doubts.

Simple searches will find this information for you. It is not hidden at all. Rather, it was loudly and publicly announced by Verizon when they instituted this policy. I personally hate the policy but Verizon certainly didn't hide it from me.

Verizon didn't HIDE it, they just figured most people don't look there, which is hiding (note the caps). I don't follow press releases, I follow what the specific offer says. Which is why I know Sprint's Framily plan won't help me, as I already get a discount.

Only the most oblivious people are going to miss it when it's RIGHT UNDER THE BUTTON. They aren't hiding it there, they're making it obvious & plain to see there. If they wanted to hide it, they'd put an asterisk next to the button and make you scroll down the page to find out about it. You don't like the charge, that's fine, but they haven't gone to great lengths to hide it - they've actually put it in a very obvious and noticeable place, in a reasonable font, in plain language, and with a link to more information. Yes, it's probably a "because they can" kind of charge for the most part, but that happens with nearly every business in some way or another. At least you didn't find out about the fee after the fact, or when you went to make payment.

It's akin to putting the plans on display in a locked filing cabinet, in a disused lavatory with a sign outside the door saying 'Beware of the leopard'. Yes, not THAT far out of the way, but it's a social engineering thing, as MOST people won't read that. That is an issue yes, but Verizon is playing in to that issue.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I think you should go to a carrier that uses no fine print! Like.........

T-Mobile is the worst with it. I am student so I have little in the ways of credit but when I went to switch to them back in august they said they want more than half the price of the phone upfront. I say "I thought it was a zero down event, all devices are $0?" She says " well only approved credit". I felt mad and sad. I really wanted to be on T-Mobile then. Now I`m like I am happy I stayed with VZW.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Verizon didn't HIDE it.
As the poster above said, this wasn't hidden at all.

The real issue in this thread is the OP got confused about the difference between an activation fee and an upgrade fee and for some reason can't admit that. Instead of saying thanks when I pointed it out to him and cleared up his confusion, he dug his heels in and made more silly arguments.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

As the poster above said, this wasn't hidden at all.

The real issue in this thread is the OP got confused about the difference between an activation fee and an upgrade fee and for some reason can't admit that. Instead of saying thanks when I pointed it out to him and cleared up his confusion, he dug his heels in and made more silly arguments.

And that is just it, even if you pay full retail you will still have to pay the upgrade fee.

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

T-Mobile is the worst with it. I am student so I have little in the ways of credit but when I went to switch to them back in august they said they want more than half the price of the phone upfront. I say "I thought it was a zero down event, all devices are $0?" She says " well only approved credit". I felt mad and sad. I really wanted to be on T-Mobile then. Now I`m like I am happy I stayed with VZW.

I had T Mobile before they were T Mobile, Voicestream or something like that? I ported my number over to Verizon long ago. I left T Mobile because they didn't have coverage where I needed it. I'd imagine it's much better now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

No, you are wrong. An activation fee is paid only on a NEW LINE.

That's correct because you were UPGRADING TO A NEW PHONE, not adding a new line. There is ALWAYS an upgrade fee. Activation fees are sometimes waived, upgrade fees are NEVER waived.

they are not playing games; you just don't understand the difference between an activation fee for opening a new line ($35 and sometimes waivable) and an upgrade fee for getting a subsidized phone on an existing line ($30 and never waivable). Now with my explanation, you know.

Where are you going to go where you will get truly unthrottled, unlimited data? Um, nowhere. So you will either stay right where you are or downgrade your service to something lesser. Verizon will be glad to see you go, too. They want to get rid of all of the UDPs. So bye-bye, Verizon wants you gone.

Not trying to be mean here, but the difference between an activation fee and an upgrade fee is not game playing and the reality is that if you have an UDP on Verizon, you are lucky. If you want to give it up, that is your choice, but I would advise you to sell it as they are that valuable that people will buy them from you. Verizon wants you to leave if you have an UDP so they won't be crying over you finding a new carrier.
Explained all right here...

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I had T Mobile before they were T Mobile, Voicestream or something like that? I ported my number over to Verizon long ago. I left T Mobile because they didn't have coverage where I needed it. I'd imagine it's much better now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I doubt it, my coworker has t mobile and event in a very large tourist state/area he fights to get 4g or signal for that even

cootiesboy

May 16, 2013
Visit site

The upgrade fee is indeed 30 bucks and activation fee is 35. If op did get charged for 35, then it's a mistake.

I'm not too sure about paying an upgrade fee if you buy full retail because when the note 2 came out I brought it at full retail and didn't get charged any upgrade fees, but that was like a year ago so I'm not sure if verizon change that.

Regarding to the person blaming us unlimited users for using over 4gb and that's why Verizon dropped unlimited.....well hello, I paid for unlimited data and I can use it however I want. Don't blame us for using more than 4gb because as far as I'm concern, unlimited means there's no limit. It's not because of us that Verizon dropped unlimited, it's because verizon sees that data is the new way of making money. If you're a business, wouldn't you rather the customer pay $30 for 2gb with the chance of them going over their limit and pay an extra 15 per gig or would you continue giving unlimited for $30?
If you want to blame, then blame your wireless provider, not us.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm not too sure about paying an upgrade fee if you buy full retail because when the note 2 came out I brought it at full retail and didn't get charged any upgrade fees, but that was like a year ago so I'm not sure if verizon change that.
There is no upgrade fee when you pay full retail at Verizon or buy a phone off contract anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe