USB connection issues on my Galaxy Tab A 10.1.

May 20, 2020
Visit site
I just purchase a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1". I believe the tablet itself is fine as I was able to get it going and download the Apps that I want to use. It's main purpose is to be used as a digital dashboard for a project vehicle that I have running on Megasquirt. There are two Apps that will do this for me, Shadow Dash and MS Droid. Both are Android based. They communicate with the engine controller either by direct USB cable, Serial/USB adapter or Bluetooth. Megasquirt has both serial and USB outputs. I have tried both the direct USB and the serial/USB connections but neither one will establish connection with either App. Is there a setting someplace that I am missing?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you connect via USB, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB notification icon -- make sure it's set to MTP/File Transfer. If that doesn't work, try some of the other options there.

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Another question. I've been corresponding with the designer of Shadow Dash and he tells me that SD communicates using FTDI and that the tablet must support USB host mode. Does my tablet conform to this?

May 20, 2020
Visit site
OK. I power up the tablet, connect the cord, plug it into a USB femA/femA coupler and plug in a USB flash drive. Then I go to Settings->Notifications. That gives me App icon badges, Do not disturb and Status bar. Also recently sent Google. That's it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, what I meant was that after you connect via USB, swipe down the notification panel. Do you see a USB connection notification there? If so, tap it, and tell me what options you get.

May 20, 2020
Visit site
I'm still not quite sure what you want me to do. If I fire up the tablet and plug the USB cord into my laptop is gives me a notification about low battery charge rate, then another one if I want to allow access, or something like that. The settings-> notifications just give me the same few options, nothing about USB.

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Sorry I'm having difficulty with this. I don't think I'm stupid, but I've never owned a tablet before and I don't get along well with touch screen devices. So if you don't mind, let's start again. What would you like me to plug the charging cable into? Once done, do you want me to go to "Settings" and look for a USB notification Icon?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. Connect your tablet with the engine controller via USB.
2. On the tablet, swipe down from the top of the screen with your finger to see your notification panel.
3. Do you see any notifications in that panel related to your USB connection (e.g., about the low charging rate or allowing access, as you previously mentioned)? If so, tap one of them and see if you get any other options.

Seeing a screenshot of your notification panel after you've connected the tablet with your engine controller via USB would be helpful.

May 20, 2020
Visit site
AhSo! Didn't know about that notification panel. I've read through the owner's manual several times but my poor old brain ain't what it used to be. Anyway, how do I take a screen shot for you and how do I upload it to the forum? If it means anything, the panel doesn't change no matter if I'm plugged into the controller or not. The controller communicates with FTDI on serial, so I have a serial/USB adapter. Perhaps my adapter isn't compatible.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, how do I take a screen shot for you and how do I upload it to the forum?

See my previously shared link above on how to take a screenshot and how to post it. If you're using the Android Central app, you might not be able to attach an image to a response -- it's best to use the forum website on your browser.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's the Quick Settings toggle panel, which you typically see if you swipe down with two fingers, or swipe down with one finger two times in a row. If you just swipe down once from the top of the screen with one finger, do you see any notifications there?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's go back a few steps -- what exactly are you connecting the tablet to via USB? Something on your vehicle's dash, or a USB flash drive? It seems like you mentioned both before. Not being familiar with your setup, I can't quite picture what the connections are.

Try running this app to see if your tablet supports USB Host: OTG USB Host Checker

May 20, 2020
Visit site
I am trying to connect to my vehicle's engine controller. It is a DIY thing, completely programmable. The tablet is supposed to be able to communicate with the controller, upload all the current engine status parameters and display them in graphic form on the tablet. I just tried to connect to a flash drive as part of my troubleshooting. Sorry for the confusion. I did download a USB host checker and it looks like everything is good in that department.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the cable that the tablet came with? It's worth trying several different cables, since they can fail without warning.

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Good point. The author of Shadow Dash has recommended I buy one of the serial/USB type C cables that they have tested and found that work. I'll try that and let you know the results.
Thanks so much for your help, much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali