Using N7 AS a Bluetooth Speakerphone

docroc67

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi all -

As I was considering in general whether to buy a tablet -- and, in particular, the Nexus 7 -- my car GPS croaked. Since a good GPS with large screen and built-in Bluetooth speakerphone costs as much as (or more than) the N7, I decided to buy the tablet. Much of my use of the device will be in my truck anyhow for taking notes on customers, so using it also as a GPS makes sense for me.

I've installed CoPilot to get navigation capabilities. Now I want to know if I can use the N7 as a Bluetooth speakerphone for my cellphone.
I know there are Bluetooth speakers FOR the N7 -- what I want is for the N7 to BE a Bluetooth speaker for my phone.
I want the N7 itself to act as speakerphone for my Verizon cellphone so I can make and receive calls handsfree.
I am NOT looking for solutions that require me to be connected via WiFi. I do NOT have a cellular-enabled version of the N7.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I'll be interested on what the experts have to say on this. But one thing that comes to mind in your situation is speaker volume. Assuming you're out in the field, do you think it would be loud enough?

In my case, I ported my number to google voice so I could use cheap pay as you go stuff (but mostly to dump sprint), which also allowed me to forward all calls to whatever n how ever I liked. Having bought the 3g version of the Nexus, I have now gone completely VOIP via talkatone, but havn't had a chance to really try it out much over the 3g. I find myself having to hold it up too my ear like a regular phone outside at times. I could and may end up using my Bluetooth ear piece ( I really hate to wear that thing, feels like I'm wearing a kick me sign or something). In your case the ear piece thing may be your best bet. That and if possible, dump Verizon and pick up a Nexus 4 which would allow you to tether your 7 to it for better google earth type maps....

docroc67

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've wondered about the volume myself. I'll probably just end up buying a dedicated Bluetooth speakerphone for the truck, but I've had lousy luck with them in the past. I did see one mentioned somewhere (possibly this forum) called the JABRA Freeway that looks really good, but it's another $100 or so (and, in my case, money IS an object).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca