Verizon 4G network extender in home.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting - thanks for that.

This is consistent with my theory - at home, your 5G phone does not see any 5G signal, since it sounds like there isn't a nearby cell tower that sends it to your area. So when at home, your phone only sees 4G, sees the network extender, and then connects to it.

And then when you're in a city, it does see a 5G signal and connects to it.

So it really seems to me that when I'm at home, there is enough of a 5G signal, even though it's weak, that the phone's OS prioritizes connecting to a weaker 5G signal over a stronger 4G signal, and so it usually doesn't connect to the 4G network extender. Randomly the 5G signal in my home drops low enough that it then connects to the 4G network extender. But when the 5G signal randomly increases in strength, it then because it prefers it, it then connects to 5G, dropping the network extender connection.
FYI, with the 6.1 update, you can now disable 5GSmartSelect_20240329_101144_Vivaldi.jpg

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, methinks that's gonna be very welcomed news to DLCPhoto! 👍
FYI, with the 6.1 update, you can now disable 5G
Well, I'm already on 6.1, and don't see this option available. It appears that this may not apply to Verizon phones, unless I'm not looking in the right place. I believe this has been discussed elsewhere, where it is present for other carriers, but not Verizon. I hope I'm wrong...

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm already on 6.1, and don't see this option available. It appears that this may not apply to Verizon phones, unless I'm not looking in the right place. I believe this has been discussed elsewhere, where it is present for other carriers, but not Verizon. I hope I'm wrong...
Hmmm, that's too bad. I haven't up'd to 6.1, but mines probably the same, with Xfi, as I only have this:
Screenshot_20240329_105637_Call settings.jpgScreenshot_20240329_105557_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20240329_105629_Call settings.jpg

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: winmod21

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that's similar to what I see, and different from those where there specific 5g labels to select or deselect.

I dread another call to Verizon, especially because it's very unlikely they'll have anything useful to say or do.
I haven't back-read the preceding pages, but I'd presume that an unlocked phone would show selections. Or no? But if your phones not unlocked, have you looked into having VZ unlock it, or upgrading to an unlocked?
And do you know which carriers do show the network selections, and if they have coverage in your area?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't back-read the preceding pages, but I'd presume that an unlocked phone would show selections. Or no? But if your phones not unlocked, have you looked into having VZ unlock it, or upgrading to an unlocked?
And do you know which carriers do show the network selections, and if they have coverage in your area?
I just bought the phone a month or two ago, so upgrade is not an option. But if those options would in fact be available if Verizon unlocked it, then that is definitely something I can pursue with them. T-mobile has some coverage, and it does show up when I have it look for available networks. But it's mainly being able to choose a 4G/LT signal only that is needed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I do see the option on my factory unlocked S23 Ultra on Verizon. This definitely used to not be here. I'm not sure why we got the toggle on unlocked, but not carrier branded devices.

Maybe someone messed up, and they will take it away once they realize the 'mistake'.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I do see the option on my factory unlocked S23 Ultra on Verizon. This definitely used to not be here. I'm not sure why we got the toggle on unlocked, but not carrier branded devices.

Maybe someone messed up, and they will take it away once they realize the 'mistake'.
When I go to Mobile Networks...Network operators, I do see other providers listed (but no 5G specific options). Wouldn't this suggest that this phone is already unlocked?

I'm using eSIM, with no physical SIM card at this time, if it's relevant. The phone was purchased directly from Samsung, as a Verizon phone, not an explicitly unlocked phone.

Attachments

• 2024-03-29 15.49.25.jpg
    2024-03-29 15.49.25.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 11

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
There is carrier unlocked, and there is factory unlocked. I bought mine from Samsung directly as a factory unlocked devive.

Mine is model SM-S918U1. I believe the carrier branded phone will be SM-S918. Without the U1.
Exactly 👆 . . that's what I was just gonna say. But I think @Laura Knotek told me, just without the 1.
When I go to Mobile Networks...Network operators, I do see other providers listed (but no 5G specific options). Wouldn't this suggest that this phone is already unlocked?

I'm using eSIM, with no physical SIM card at this time, if it's relevant. The phone was purchased directly from Samsung, as a Verizon phone, not an explicitly unlocked phone.

It's probably carrier locked then. But I know they can be unlocked, and you can ask Verizon to do so. There's a code. We got the code from AT&T – when we were preparing to box-up my wifes' Note 8, before shipping it for the trade-in.

Reactions: DLCPhototography

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
There is carrier unlocked, and there is factory unlocked. I bought mine from Samsung directly as a factory unlocked devive.

Mine is model SM-S918U1. I believe the carrier branded phone will be SM-S918. Without the U1.
Mine shows SM-S928U, so actually neither of those! But I will call and see what I need to get it fully unlocked. And maybe then I can select 4G only when at home.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Exactly . . that's what I was just gonna say.

It's probably carrier locked then. But I know they can be unlocked, and you can ask Verizon to do so. There's a code. We got the code from AT&T – when we were preparing to box-up my wifes' Note 8, before shipping it for the trade-in.
I believe Verizon phones are automatically unlocked after 30 or 60 days or something. It was a deal they had to make years ago with the government as part of opening up extra spectrum. I think it was the early days of 4G...
Unlike the other carriers, you do not have to get permission from Verizon to unlock the phone.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine shows SM-S928U, so actually neither of those! But I will call and see what I need to get it fully unlocked. And maybe then I can select 4G only when at home.
Verizon can't do that for you. If it is Verizon branded, that is a firmware thing.
There are ways to replace your firmware, and there are people on these forums that will be happy to walk you through that process. I personally don't mess with the firmware

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Verizon can't do that for you. If it is Verizon branded, that is a firmware thing.
There are ways to replace your firmware, and there are people on these forums that will be happy to walk you through that process. I personally don't mess with the firmware

Yeah, I'm not going down that rabbit hole...

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Your device is running carrier firmware. If you want to flash unlocked firmware @mustang7757 will be able to help you.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
No, that screenshot was from the verizon software update notes. I think they messed up the route though. on my Verizon S23Ultra, it is Settings -> Connections -> Mobile Networks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240329_183807_Call settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20240329_183807_Call settings.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Laura Knotek

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

That looks to be one click too many. The options are directly in Mobile Networks. Network Operators is another option on the same page (See my screeshot above) Otherwise, are you 100% sure you updated to 6.1? (It literally just came out the other day and you may have to check for updates to get it to download). It was definitely NOT there before the update to 6.1.

Verizon had this locked down before. Verizon phones are automatically unlocked after 30 days. So, it is nothing to do with locked vs unlocked. It is all about the verizon specific firmware.

Update info, released 3/27 https://www.verizon.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s23-ultra-update/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali