Verizon Galaxy J3 V change voicemail alert sound

A

AC Question

I've had my Galaxy J3 V about a week now. I would like to change the voicemail alert sound to a custom audio file. When I open the Phone app and choose More>Settings, I can access the Alert sound in the Voice Mail section. That opens pre-installed alert sounds for voice mail and I can change those if I want. There is no option to select an alert sound from a different source like audio or ringtones, etc. This was something I could do fairly easily on my old LG flip phone.

There are no custom options available for voicemail alert sound in the Android settings

Android version is 6.0.1

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. My Galaxy J3 V didn't have anything nearly approaching the folder structure shown in the guide. I only have DCIM, Android and Samsung showing up in My Files>Device Storage with no Notifications folder visible in any of them. I was able to actually get the audio file I wanted to use to show up in the choices for the Phone app>More>Settings>Voice Mail-Alert sound by doing a search in the My Files app for Notifications. That turned out to be in Device Storage>Android>media>com.google.android.talk.

There was only one file listed there but I copied the audio file (mp3) into that directory and when I checked the Alert sound options in the Phone app, it was listed along with all the other pre-installed ones. I selected it and then made a call to the J3 V to leave a voice mail. I received visual notification that I had a missed call but nothing audible indicating that I had a new voicemail.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Stock file manager apps like My Files can be a little tricky to use, because they often give you dumbed-down options that don't show you the true directory structure. Can you show a screenshot of what your My Files main screen looks like? http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Or you could install a 3rd party file manager app like Total Commander (free and ad-free).

When you selected that one custom tone you added to the Notifications directory, did it play a sample for you?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. They seem to be limiting what you can see. What options do you get when you tap More?

Try installing Total Commander, as I mentioned above. (Don't be discouraged by the "Contains ads" designation in the Play Store -- it's because there's an option to add some plugins from the developer, which are also free.)

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
More shows:
Verizon Cloud
Clear recent file history
Conceal hidden files

I did install Total Commander but then uninstalled as it looks like a steep learning curve to figure out how to use it properly. Any tutorials or guides you can recommend for it?

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I actually got the Alert sound and visual notification of new voicemail working but it cost an hour with Verizon support to do it. Painful. :-\ Don't think it had anything to do with Android, more a Verizon problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not aware of any tutorials for Total Commander. Like most apps, I just futz around with it for a while until I get the hang of it. As long as you don't choose to delete anything, you won't do anything bad.

ASUS's File Manager app is also decent -- I've used it before on my Zenfone 2, and it's available for non-ASUS phones as well. It has a bit of a Samsung feel, but I think it also lets you explore the whole directory structure.