Verizon Galaxy S3: 4.3 update questions and issues!

prodaytrade

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 4.3 update questions and issues!

I don't know that it's needed, I was just asking. Mainly because in a different thread some with problems did a reset and it resolved their issues. I just thought it would be nice to hear one way or another as to the effectivness of that proceedure. I've done it a couple times, and while it does take some time, Google does most of the work. And it just sems like a better option than simply putting up with an issue hoping it will just go away. I'm all about trying everything available to troubleshoot an issue...within reason, that is.
So if anyone decides to try it maybe you can report back with the results? I can't be the only one wondering.

Did factory reset after update. Didn't experience most of the issues people are talking about.

Why factory reset?
Old files from previous version of Android or any kind of app installed may not play nice with the new OS.
Resetting ensures only the current files in Android 4.3 are utilized.
Grab the apps you were using from Google Play and it'll download the one optimized for 4.3.

Concerned about back up?
Use cloud services. Example: Google+ or Facebook to auto upload photos.
There are back up apps on Google Play.

Issues experienced since update?
1. Sluggish wake up of phone when pushing the power or home button.
2. Sluggish exit of task manager (press and hold home button). Seeing transition of notification bar start from black to light blue to transparent.

Is anyone else seeing the second issue with the transition?

Last edited:

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

prodaytrade, did your apps automatically download after the factory reset? Mine didn't... I also lost my saved passwords, and it seems Google Play's website believes I have two SCH-I535 phones...
Also, I'm quite sure my internet connection got worse after the factory reset, often getting less than 0.5mb/s (compared to about 30mb/s before)

About your second comment, I do observe those color transitions, but I;m more benevolent in calling the closing "sluggish". It's not instantly, but it's faster than opening.

Ducky4282

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
For some reason in the photo gallery, the Facebook sync seems to be not working. It keeps saying that it will be resolved soon but I am wondering if I just remove the account and re-add it if that will fix the problem. Does anyone know? I am not going to do a hard reset. I will put up with the little issues I have now until the S5 comes out.

Posted via Android Central App

prodaytrade

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

The biggest problem that I've heard from almost everyone is the remarkably fast battery drain. I went to bed the other night with a 60% charge and when I woke up, the phone was dead. And oh yeah, the thing is running around 60 cpu on average with no apps open, and much higher when trying to run just about any app. Factory resets do not help, the problem resumes afterwards. My phone is essentially a landline now. Also, I'm not rooted. I guess rooting now wouldn't be any help. What a sh*t show.

I haven't experienced battery drain issues.
Close all apps by holding down home key for a few seconds.

I have GPS enabled, but that doesn't affect battery life. Went to bed with 90% and woke up to 80%. You might want to discharge your battery to the point where the phone shuts itself off and charge it without turning it on. Also, let it stay on charge for another 15 or 20 minutes after you see the 100%.

If that doesn't help, get new battery.

Also take note that your phone pings for tower signals if you're in a location with bad service. The pinging will drain your battery. This applies to WiFi too. If you're not using it, turn it off. Leaving it on will induce pinging of available networks.

Last edited:

Cheryl D

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

I've had the same issue with the clipboard. Since updating two days ago, everytime I use the clipboard, (whether texting or emailing), the screen freezes, then the phone reboots. All of the locked text items that were in my clipboard do not appear, however, the program won't let me lock any new blocks of text because "i've reached my limit." I'm in direct sales and constantly use the same phrases with my customers, so the clipboard has been an awesome feature of the Galaxy S3. This issue impedes my ability to work fast and efficiently ... and I'm very frustrated!

prodaytrade

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

prodaytrade, did your apps automatically download after the factory reset? Mine didn't... I also lost my saved passwords, and it seems Google Play's website believes I have two SCH-I535 phones...
Also, I'm quite sure my internet connection got worse after the factory reset, often getting less than 0.5mb/s (compared to about 30mb/s before)

About your second comment, I do observe those color transitions, but I;m more benevolent in calling the closing "sluggish". It's not instantly, but it's faster than opening.

If you had apps previously backed up by Google, the apps will download itself. (How to Back Up an Android Phone on the Google Cloud: 5 Steps)
If not, the apps you've downloaded before should be found via Play Store > My Apps > All.
It's a manual process, but you know which apps you've downloaded before and can opt to avoid installing apps you don't use anymore. A clean phone is a happy phone.

Saved passwords will be lost if not backed up in addition to all settings and such. After all, it's a reset. Hope you had them written down somewhere.

I don't have internet issues.
You might want to turn your modem and router off for about 30 seconds and then powering it back on. It can clear up any congestion harbored in the devices.
Make sure your internet wasn't used up by other devices when you performed the speed test. This results in bandwidth issues across multiple devices that's accessing it.
Also, the server or app you used to test the internet speed may be slow . I've seen that happen various times. Don't be too alarmed about it.
Try powering the modem/router off and see if that resolved the issue.

Google website identifying two SCH-I535 is most likely a Google error. Regardless, you'll see multiple devices as you use the same Gmail address across different devices. There's no way to remove it from the list. At least for now until they implement this feature. Just install apps using the Play Store app. If you use the website to do so in the future, then click on the SCH-I535 devices from the list to see which one has the apps installed. Disregard the duplicate.

Thanks for confirming my concern about the transition. Thought I was the only one seeing it.

Last edited:

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Just updated and mostly running fine (maybe a quicker battery drain, not sure)

Only "annoying thing" is that when I get a sms text message, it used to display the sender and part of the text at the header and in the drop-down. Now it just says "Messaging - New Message"

Am I the only one getting this? I force stopped the messaging app and restarted but that didn't help.

Anyone?

If you hit the "Menu" key (lower left hand capacitive key) when you're in the text message app and tap "Settings", there's a setting in there that will restore the scrolling text message banner preview, and also put the preview on the lock screen as well if you want that. Just look around in those settings, you'll find it. Although I think that you may also have to enable "Mutiple lock screen widgets" under the "Lock Screen" settings to get the preview box on the lock screen, I'm not sure. Fun to play with, though *smile*.

Last edited:

Savvymi

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

DELETED MY RINGTONES!

All the stock ringtones are replaced with melodies. All I want is my basic old school "ring" back and I can only find birds in the jungle. Any ideas?

Savvymi

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

I have. It gave me a series of "are you sure?" caveats before connecting, but so far, so good.

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

If you had apps previously backed up by Google, the apps will download itself. (How to Back Up an Android Phone on the Google Cloud: 5 Steps)
If not, the apps you've downloaded before should be found via Play Store > My Apps > All.
It's a manual process, but you know which apps you've downloaded before and can opt to avoid installing apps you don't use anymore. A clean phone is a happy phone.

Saved passwords will be lost if not backed up in addition to all settings and such. After all, it's a reset. Hope you had them written down somewhere.

I don't have internet issues.
You might want to turn your modem and router off for about 30 seconds and then powering it back on. It can clear up any congestion harbored in the devices.
Make sure your internet wasn't used up by other devices when you performed the speed test. This results in bandwidth issues across multiple devices that's accessing it.
Also, the server or app you used to test the internet speed may be slow . I've seen that happen various times. Don't be too alarmed about it.
Try powering the modem/router off and see if that resolved the issue.

Google website identifying two SCH-I535 is most likely a Google error. Regardless, you'll see multiple devices as you use the same Gmail address across different devices. There's no way to remove it from the list. At least for now until they implement this feature. Just install apps using the Play Store app. If you use the website to do so in the future, then click on the SCH-I535 devices from the list to see which one has the apps installed. Disregard the duplicate.

Thanks for confirming my concern about the transition. Thought I was the only one seeing it.

They were backed up. In fact, they were downloaded to my Note 10.1 when I signed in with it (and so were the wifi passwords synced). I wonder whether it is possible to check online what is backed up on the google servers for each device...

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the modem/router, since I am on a university housing, with university provided wi-fi...
I've tried many times the speedtest, and it's consistently a lot slower than in the past.

fujiteam

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

I have two problems that the thread search did nto show results for. I listen to podcasts in dogcatcher. The volume rocker does not adjust the sound for media. I have to hit the volume button then the settings gear then slide the media bar to change the volume.

My second issue is using bluetooth speakers. I have a headset set to phone audio and a speaker set to media audio. The headset works perfectly. The speaker connects and the phone says it is connected, but the sound comes through the phone's speaker. Someone linked to a verison site foum where they mention issues with bluetooth in cars, I assume this is the media issue that I am having. Any fixes people know of?

seal10

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site

I would agree not to update as you will get all the problems and no real benifit. if you want the benifits, down load apps that have them. I repeat, don't down load the update. However if you are stuburn enough to want it (like regretfully was), then use Kies. I had the same problem as you and was able to update with Kies. BUT DON'T

prodaytrade

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

They were backed up. In fact, they were downloaded to my Note 10.1 when I signed in with it (and so were the wifi passwords synced). I wonder whether it is possible to check online what is backed up on the google servers for each device...

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the modem/router, since I am on a university housing, with university provided wi-fi...
I've tried many times the speedtest, and it's consistently a lot slower than in the past.

If you're at a university, most likely people are heavily using the bandwidth, some type of issue with their provider, or server used by the app to test the speed. If you have another device connected to your university, then you should be able to find out if the speed drop is due to your device or the university.

As to remove a duplicate SCH-I535, I found this (https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard). Sign in with the Gmail address associated with the device you saw the duplicate in and go to Android >Devices>Manage Devices>Uncheck Show in Menus.

The link above is also the closest you can view data backed up by Google.

Trisman

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

Reading through this thread makes me think I have got off lightly after I upgraded to 4:3...! :eek:

The only issue I seem to have is the SMS message and missed call alerts refusing to switch off.
(These are the numbers that appear to the top RHS of the phone & message icons when you've either missed a call or have unread messages).

I get the alert on the icon stating that I have urnread messages. I read the message, the alert stays in place telling me I still have an unread message, even after I've read it....

Likewise, I get the alert on the phone icon telling me I've missed a call. I click the icon, see who it was (& 'phone them back or not!), but the 'missed call' warning remains....

If I reboot, the numbers go away. Otherwise, the 'phone eventually seems to decide that I've heeded the warning after a random (long) period of time & the numbers disappear.

Annoying, but not as drastic as some problems!

Anyone know how to correct his?

cmslick3

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

Up to this point in time I have not been able to get back into the hidden menu or service menu...

I keep looking though

baker2gs

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

I'm having an issue with apps that I have a sound set for but vibrate turned off. When I set the phone to vibrate mode it begins buzzing for those apps. Vibrate mode overrides the vibrate setting on the app, it's really annoying.

The only way around this is to set the app to not have a notification sound and vibrate off. Then when you set the phone to vibrate it does not buzz for the apps. So now when I turn the sound back up on my phone now, the apps I want to notify me with a sound no longer do.

Ducky4282

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

Can someone please tell me where I need to go to get my questions answered? I have posted twice in this thread and been completely ignored. If this is not the right place, please direct me to the place I need to be.

Posted via Android Central App

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

If you're at a university, most likely people are heavily using the bandwidth, some type of issue with their provider, or server used by the app to test the speed. If you have another device connected to your university, then you should be able to find out if the speed drop is due to your device or the university.

As to remove a duplicate SCH-I535, I found this (https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard). Sign in with the Gmail address associated with the device you saw the duplicate in and go to Android >Devices>Manage Devices>Uncheck Show in Menus.

The link above is also the closest you can view data backed up by Google.

That would also be affecting my notebook and tablet, and it isn't...

I don't really want to remove that... My plan now is to somehow understand why Google recognized both as different devices, and factory reset again so that it sees my phone as the old one, and autodownload my old apps...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Vibrate mode overrides the vibrate setting on the app, it's really annoying.
From your description it seems like you meant to say 'vibrate mode overrides the sound setting of the apps' - that makes perfect sense to me: vibrate mode is a system setting, and system settings SHOULD override app settings.

If that's not what you were describing then I misunderstood - sorry.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I have posted twice in this thread and been completely ignored.
There's a difference between being ignored and not receiving an answer: your previous post deals with Facebook, and since I don't use Facebook I can't be of any assistance. My only comment would be - have you looked at the ratings for the Facebook app? 3.8 - what a POS! I won't install anything that is rated less than 4.0.

Your previous question (post #218 ) was almost immediately followed by another post (#224) which made a reply unnecessary.

Finally, your Facebook issue is probably not specifically related to the Verizon 4.3 update, so you could create a new thread in the main forum focused on that and hopefully with a Subject that includes Facebook you'll get the responses you're looking for. Or you could email the Facebook folks (android-support@fb.com) and see what kind of answer you get.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174