Verizon HTC One M8 Lollipop Update Thread

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of lollipop overall. I miss seeing the notification bar on the lock screen, meaning I won't see my battery indicator or any message indicators (I turned the lock screen card notifications off because I don't want them on the main screen). I also liked the old pull down on the notification bar that wasn't transparent. Over all, I'm just not a fan of material design, or whatever it's being called.

I do like having more apps in the multitasking window now, but that's about the only thing I've seen so far as an improvement in my view.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
After the update I would have to say there is no change in my battery performance. Still as good as ever. Yesterday I was unplugged over eight hours and through light to moderate use,(texts, social media, surfing) I was at 79% and the phone reported I had 16 hours left.

One odd thing this morning though my phone could not see my home WiFi. My WiFi was on and functioning. I checked my wife's phone and son's tablet, they were working fine. A reset of my router fixed the problem but it is something I will keep note of.

Posted via the Android Central App

droider37

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I got my update a few days ago, installed without doing a cache or factory wipe, everything went smoothly, haven't noticed any change in battery life.

However, there are a couple annoying changes. For starters, they removed the old "Power Control" widget that had Bluetooth, GPS, Auto-Sync, Wi-Fi, and screen brightness. Now the new one has everything except GPS, which has been replaced with screen timeout, which I think is less useful personally but I can just replace those with the individual widgets so it's not a big deal. What is annoying however is that the Wi-Fi toggle on the old Power Control used to be just that - a toggle. You pressed it on your home screen and it would turn Wi-Fi on or off (automatically connecting to a remembered network when turned on) from right on the home screen. Now however, the Wi-Fi button on the new Power Control widget acts just like the standalone Wi-Fi widget, which is to say, it opens the Wi-Fi app, from which you then have to turn Wi-Fi on or off. Why did they do this? It's another extra step to do every time I want to turn on and off my Wi-Fi, and requires opening another unnecessary app in the process. It's bad enough I've always had to go through the little confirmation dialogue box every time I want to turn off mobile data via that widget, but now they've actively made the Wi-Fi widget less useful, which is frustrating.

Secondly, when entering text via the keyboard (I'm just using the standard android keyboard with swiping enabled) I can now no longer tap on previous words and get the suggestions for it at the top of the keyboard, I can only see suggestions for the current word I've just entered. This is also annoying as it was nice to be able to type out a long text or email, and then go back and fix any accidental typos or incorrect suggestions ("abd" anyone? Seriously why is that in the phone dictionary? I can't count the number of times I've had to go back and change it to "and", including multiple times while typing this post alone, it's not even a word!) by tapping on the incorrect word and choosing the suggested word that I had meant. Now if I don't make corrections as I go along, it takes significantly longer to go back and change them, taking me out of the flow when I'm writing.

Anyone else having these issues? I've also got the whole Wi-Fi disconnecting and reconnecting randomly as well, but that hasn't been too disruptive as it cycles pretty quickly.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I got my update a few days ago, installed without doing a cache or factory wipe, everything went smoothly, haven't noticed any change in battery life.

However, there are a couple annoying changes. For starters, they removed the old "Power Control" widget that had Bluetooth, GPS, Auto-Sync, Wi-Fi, and screen brightness. Now the new one has everything except GPS, which has been replaced with screen timeout, which I think is less useful personally but I can just replace those with the individual widgets so it's not a big deal. What is annoying however is that the Wi-Fi toggle on the old Power Control used to be just that - a toggle. You pressed it on your home screen and it would turn Wi-Fi on or off (automatically connecting to a remembered network when turned on) from right on the home screen. Now however, the Wi-Fi button on the new Power Control widget acts just like the standalone Wi-Fi widget, which is to say, it opens the Wi-Fi app, from which you then have to turn Wi-Fi on or off. Why did they do this? It's another extra step to do every time I want to turn on and off my Wi-Fi, and requires opening another unnecessary app in the process. It's bad enough I've always had to go through the little confirmation dialogue box every time I want to turn off mobile data via that widget, but now they've actively made the Wi-Fi widget less useful, which is frustrating.

Secondly, when entering text via the keyboard (I'm just using the standard android keyboard with swiping enabled) I can now no longer tap on previous words and get the suggestions for it at the top of the keyboard, I can only see suggestions for the current word I've just entered. This is also annoying as it was nice to be able to type out a long text or email, and then go back and fix any accidental typos or incorrect suggestions ("abd" anyone? Seriously why is that in the phone dictionary? I can't count the number of times I've had to go back and change it to "and", including multiple times while typing this post alone, it's not even a word!) by tapping on the incorrect word and choosing the suggested word that I had meant. Now if I don't make corrections as I go along, it takes significantly longer to go back and change them, taking me out of the flow when I'm writing.

Anyone else having these issues? I've also got the whole Wi-Fi disconnecting and reconnecting randomly as well, but that hasn't been too disruptive as it cycles pretty quickly.

lol, I cant count the number of times I've had to change "Mich" to "much"! It's like my phone was pre-programmed by some guy named Mich and he wanted to leave behind a legacy. I have sense switched to google keyboard, which in my opinion is MUCH more accurate than the Sense keyboard.

The wifi widget issue i have not noticed because i just use the notification bar toggles for all of my toggles. i dont change them so frequently that it irritates me to have to swipe down twice.

However the wifi not being recognized, i have had similar issues. I havent had it actually refuse to connect, but at work I have had to manually reconnect twice because it would cycle then just not connect back to it, at least not quick enough for me to be okay with it. At home it's been rock solid, no cycles at all in the 12+ hour stretches I've been home this weekend.

droider37

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
lol, I cant count the number of times I've had to change "Mich" to "much"! It's like my phone was pre-programmed by some guy named Mich and he wanted to leave behind a legacy. I have sense switched to google keyboard, which in my opinion is MUCH more accurate than the Sense keyboard.

The wifi widget issue i have not noticed because i just use the notification bar toggles for all of my toggles. i dont change them so frequently that it irritates me to have to swipe down twice.

However the wifi not being recognized, i have had similar issues. I havent had it actually refuse to connect, but at work I have had to manually reconnect twice because it would cycle then just not connect back to it, at least not quick enough for me to be okay with it. At home it's been rock solid, no cycles at all in the 12+ hour stretches I've been home this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm trying out Google keyboard now and it still has the ability to view suggestions for previous words so that's nice. I'm also going to start using the notification bar toggles for Wi-Fi and the like, I never really used them previously since you had to tap the button in the notification bar to see them on previous versions of Android, but now that's it's just a quick second swipe I'll give that a go. Cheers!

jnugglet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I installed today and am no longer able to text pictures. It tries sending for a few minutes and then gives a failure message. Hmmmm.

Whosurdaddy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I updated at the end of last week and all went well. Overall performance was good and I was enjoying the benefits of the update. I plugged my phone in last night and woke up this morning to a phone that is dead. The battery full green light remains lit after reaching full charge during the night, even after I've removed it from the charger. The screen won't come on, the alarm didn't wake me this morning and it doesn't seem to be operating at all since it didn't connect to bluetooth in my car either. My phone is in exceptional condition otherwise, though about a year old. Anyone hear of issues like this? Not sure if this issue is related to the update or it just died.

Whosurdaddy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I updated at the end of last week and all went well. Overall performance was good and I was enjoying the benefits of the update. I plugged my phone in last night and woke up this morning to a phone that is dead. The battery full green light remains lit after reaching full charge during the night, even after I've removed it from the charger. The screen won't come on, the alarm didn't wake me this morning and it doesn't seem to be operating at all since it didn't connect to bluetooth in my car either. My phone is in exceptional condition otherwise, though about a year old. Anyone hear of issues like this? Not sure if this issue is related to the update or it just died.

A quick follow up. Took it to a VZ store and they did a soft reset by depressing Volume Up and Power Button at the same time. I had only tried Volume Down/Power Button. Came back to life pretty quick and seems normal, so I'm not sure what to make of it - but it works fine for now.

yz250f_spud

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I installed today and am no longer able to text pictures. It tries sending for a few minutes and then gives a failure message. Hmmmm.

Same here - I can't send pictures in the messages app. MMS group messages are also coming in as individual messages. I didn't mind the default messages app, but I installed Textra this morning because of this issue.

tomstinson

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Ran the update last night. Phone has froze three times so far requiring soft reset (volume up + power button). Seems the notification bar at the top flickers with temperature and wireless networks available icons. That's the only thing that seems strange.

deepdiver68

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Update was pushed to our phones last night so went ahead and ran it. Seemed to work fine. Today, after reboot before leaving home - no internet over WiFi except for Google pages. DNS1 & 2 reset to Google's public DNS 8.8.8.8 for all WiFi connections. I have tried 3 of my routers and 2 public that were remembered and can ONLY access Google. This is the case on Chrome or Dolphin browsers. Won't resolve any other DNS including Verizon. I tried forgetting the connections and reconnecting and made no difference. Cleared cache partition, no difference. Won't let me change DNS on any of the connections either using any non-root method I can find on internet. Called Verizon tech (had to get off WiFi because it wouldn't rectify to Verizon tech support page on WiFi and they said they have had other calls on this problem for M8 and a few for Samsung S5. They suggest hard reset. But hey, works fine on 4G... But that doesn't fix my cloud backup issue now. I will have to change to allow to backup on 4G and suck up that usage loss. Hopefully I don't have too much new stuff. :( The KitKat tablets still work fine on all those networks so definitely a Lollipop issue.

Also, I usually have 2-3 WiFi bars on my office WiFi in front of the building in the parking lot. Now I have no more than 1 and it comes and goes even standing right outside the front door. Open the GLASS front door and extend my arm to just inside the door and it is max connection. Hold door open and move it 1 foot outside the threshold and 1 bar. So WiFi strength is different as well which makes no sense to me as I would think that is a hardware antenna matter and nothing to do with software.

As to battery usage, I have had less than typical phone usage today (except for messing with the WiFi a bit) since I can't browse any web pages. I can usually go 2 days with at least 35-50% of battery left. I'm now down to 52% in 10 hours and the WiFi was turned off for about half that time.

While I like several things about the Lollipop GUI, this is a hassle otherwise. Interestingly, my IMAP emails wouldn't connect earlier with WiFi enabled but now are updating again. Gmail, and all other Google stuff works on or off WiFi except Play Store which gives a connection error unless WiFi is turned off.

I'm going to try a hard reset when I get home as I don't have a charger with me. If this doesn't work Verizon said it is borked and I need to get a replacement phone. Sounds goofy to me all around.

P51-SN95

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I've run in to a few issues since the update.

1. when typing I no longer have the option to "Copy all" I have to grab both ends and move to highlight only the sections I want and it seems to not like when it changes lines.

2. I've lost my "live wallpaper" and after the update I had a new wallpaper, tried to go back to the settings to put my live wallpaper back (one of the stock HTC ones) and it's not even available any more (I believe it was called Nexus??) it had multicolor lines moving in a horizontal/Vertical mannor with a dark grey background.

3. Trying to attach pictures to a text message now repeatedly results in a "failure to attach image" I've had this happen about 10 times in the 2-3 days that I've had the update and never once had I experienced this before in the year or so prior of having the phone.

4. With no changes to my settings I've noticed faster battery drain, before I'd leave work with about 75-85% battery remaining and now I'm down to 50-60%

5. I really dislike how when getting a new text message it no longer displays a preview of who from and "x" amount of lines up at the top in the notifcation bar. My settings are still set to display the preview.

Really wishing I could undo this update.

deepdiver68

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I ended up at the office quite late so I didn't do anything to the phone last night. Just shut it off when I got home and put it on the charger. This morning, upon start it worked on WiFi at home again. Then it worked on WiFi at the office. Strange. And the battery usage today is back to about what it was before.

The only issue today is that my browser (both Dolphin and Chrome) will just suddenly shut down with no warning, no crash alert afterwards and no consistency as to what I am doing when it happens. Wait and see I guess...

gnwest

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I ended up at the office quite late so I didn't do anything to the phone last night. Just shut it off when I got home and put it on the charger. This morning, upon start it worked on WiFi at home again. Then it worked on WiFi at the office. Strange. And the battery usage today is back to about what it was before.

The only issue today is that my browser (both Dolphin and Chrome) will just suddenly shut down with no warning, no crash alert afterwards and no consistency as to what I am doing when it happens. Wait and see I guess...

About Dolphin crashing, disable jetpack if you have it enabled. I had the same issue and informed the Dolphin support team. I haven't heard from them yet.

Posted via Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm trying out Google keyboard now and it still has the ability to view suggestions for previous words so that's nice. I'm also going to start using the notification bar toggles for Wi-Fi and the like, I never really used them previously since you had to tap the button in the notification bar to see them on previous versions of Android, but now that's it's just a quick second swipe I'll give that a go. Cheers!

You can also pull the notification bar down with 2 fingers to go directly to the quick settings instead of double swiping. You could do this prior to LP too.

I also found out by swiping up with the screen off take you directly to the lock screen. I knew some other people and myself were irked that the double tap no longer did that, making you have to double tap to turn it on and then swipe to access the lock screen. So that's a work around.

danveB

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I am having battery issues. Is this normal, where 22.2% is consumed by Kernel (Android OS)? Please help :)

Attachments

• 1426486285073.jpg
    1426486285073.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 23

deepdiver68

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
About Dolphin crashing, disable jetpack if you have it enabled. I had the same issue and informed the Dolphin support team. I haven't heard from them yet.

Posted via Android Central App

Thank you for the response, although in this case Jetpack does not seem to be the issue as BOTH Dolphin and Chrome fail to resolve DNS and crash.

Yesterday and today I once again I have no internet access on WiFi but now it is just most places. Dolphin just crashes and Chrome shows a "DNS lookup failed" error.

I may have narrowed this down though. Preliminary inspection (I haven't had time to go out and about to get more evidence) seems to indicate that while the phone is picking up an IP from the DHCP it is not picking up the default gateway. I suspect this because it seems to work fine where the default gateway is 192.168.1.1 but have the DNS resolve crash when it is otherwise. I only have 4 data points on this so far. I need to change the IP on one of the problem routers to 192.168.1.1 (but nothing else) and see if everything suddenly works on the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalikimoko