Verizon LTE outage

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
What seemed strange to me was I don't live in a 4G area at all, and when LTE went down my phone got stuck on 1x. I would have thought since there was no LTE here anyways that my phone would have been fine.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

The BOLT uses a special 3G just for it (us). Whatever they did w/ LTE effected that as well. Which is why everyone got thrown into 1X.

My brother has an OG, and when I went into 1X I asked him to check what he was in. He was in 3G.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The BOLT uses a special 3G just for it (us). Whatever they did w/ LTE effected that as well. Which is why everyone got thrown into 1X.

My brother has an OG, and when I went into 1X I asked him to check what he was in. He was in 3G.

That's correct. The technology that allows interoperation between the LTE network and the EVDO network went down along with LTE. In layman's terms; the version of 3G that the Bolt uses can't function without the LTE network being active. And without that technology=no 3G for thunderbolt.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
This phone has the technology to do 3G data and voice calls.
As well as it must be able to hand off when going between 3G and LTE.
Because of that, Tbolt owners were affected.
If you took off the simultaneous voice/data and told your phone to use 3G it worked fine.
(Extra steps I know, but it did work while LTE was down)

Stevez48

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
has there been anything new with the outage as far as information released by VZW. My 4G speeds are seriously slower then they were pre-crash...

SoldierofCatan

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
My 4G connection came up for part of yesterday but its back to 1X today. I saw a post on Engadget saying that the problem has been fixed. If so did it happen again? I'm in St. Louis.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
This phone has the technology to do 3G data and voice calls.
As well as it must be able to hand off when going between 3G and LTE.
Because of that, Tbolt owners were affected.
If you took off the simultaneous voice/data and told your phone to use 3G it worked fine.
(Extra steps I know, but it did work while LTE was down)

Sort of. SVDO was working if you had 3G. The problem, though, was that the Bolt uses a special version of 3G that allows an easy handoff to 4G. There is an additional network layer, called eHRPD, that all of the 4G phones use when they're on 3G..

mychlan

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Phone was showing no type of Network ID...but was slow...battery pull...now I have 1x again....well as I type the 4G came back...they are definatly still working on this...huh

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I dropped to 3G earlier for some reason and restarted my phone and it went back to 4G. I suspect they are still messing around with it.

As far as speeds mine seems to be just as fast as before in SE Michigan, App Test =27.31Mbps Down and 4.70Mbps up

Browser based speed test 21.05Mbps Down and 5.22Mbps up

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
We had an outage today in the Boston area and even when it came back it was spotty with weak signal strength and frequent drops.

AFirefighter

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't have 4G, I don't have 3G, I don't even have 1X. I just have 3 bars of reception and no designation as to what this is. My weather widget is unable to find a location. I am unable to upload photos to Facebook or e-mail them via GMail or AOL. I am currently at my g/f's house in Philadelphia where there should normally be 4G... This is absolutely ridiculous.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid