Verizon variant of Moto X

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been more or less perfect. I, like everyone else, has had some screen redraws,but nothing major. It's been a pretty flawless release.

Anyone complaining was clearly not around for the upgrade to 4.0. There was nothing good about any part of that update process. 5.0 by comparison is a dream come true. I would even say that it is the most stable upgrade I have had on any phone.

Sent from my XT1096
I agree with you. I had a no problems with 4.4.3 on my 1st issue moto x. However, 5 .0 lollipop is freaking awesome I can send of the animations a on the screen are beautiful.

Sent from my custom 2nd Gen Moto X built by moto maker

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my second Moto X (first one returned due to the wood back starting to lift up, replaced with same). The first one had no problems on Lollipop, but I did a cache clear right after applying the update. If it had the screen redraw bug, I never noticed it. The second (current) one shipped with KitKat but updated right away (within 10 minutes of turning it on). After the update, none of the apps would launch by tapping the icon; I had to open the multitasker and select them after trying to open them. However, since I had not installed anything on the new phone yet, I just did a factory reset and all has been well since.

Lollipop has bugs, yes. For me they're a non-issue as they do not negatively impact the use of the phone. Those who report horrendous bugs after updating probably have some incompatibility from an app or leftover cruft that can be cleared out via a cache clear or, failing that, a factory reset. No, it's not an ideal situation. It would be nice if updates went smoothly. But 5.0 is a significant software update, so bugs are expected.

tl;dr: As for whether or not the Verizon version is better than others, I honestly have no idea other than to say I've had no permanent issues with either of my unlocked Moto X's.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my second Moto X (first one returned due to the wood back starting to lift up, replaced with same). The first one had no problems on Lollipop, but I did a cache clear right after applying the update. If it had the screen redraw bug, I never noticed it. The second (current) one shipped with KitKat but updated right away (within 10 minutes of turning it on). After the update, none of the apps would launch by tapping the icon; I had to open the multitasker and select them after trying to open them. However, since I had not installed anything on the new phone yet, I just did a factory reset and all has been well since.

Lollipop has bugs, yes. For me they're a non-issue as they do not negatively impact the use of the phone. Those who report horrendous bugs after updating probably have some incompatibility from an app or leftover cruft that can be cleared out via a cache clear or, failing that, a factory reset. No, it's not an ideal situation. It would be nice if updates went smoothly. But 5.0 is a significant software update, so bugs are expected.

tl;dr: As for whether or not the Verizon version is better than others, I honestly have no idea other than to say I've had no permanent issues with either of my unlocked Moto X's.
Yes sir, I definitely agree with what you're saying. As far as what I'm feeling, I try to inbox by Gmail and the new updated bbm which I use with my dad on my first gen mother west with him on wifi only. Least two applications consume battery like theres no tomorrow on my phone and it is been the turtle eats spoken about on the Google Product Forums and even on here of course for heating of the battery / processor and consuming battery at the same time. Some people reported find other people report heavy usage and the battery being slaughtered today is basically. For me, I don't mind using the stock email app, it does all the functions and purposes that I need. Just try it just to see.

Let me ask you a question though, as far as a home screen reader oz when you say clear the cache and you never experienced the issue ever again, what part of the cache did you clear? Did you clear the cache before or after you had every application with the data settings for fully downloaded on your moto X 20? I'm curious maybe I would do it to mine if it doesn't negatively impact the phone's performance well you're fully installed with everything on it basically.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been more or less perfect. I, like everyone else, has had some screen redraws,but nothing major. It's been a pretty flawless release.

Anyone complaining was clearly not around for the upgrade to 4.0. There was nothing good about any part of that update process. 5.0 by comparison is a dream come true. I would even say that it is the most stable upgrade I have had on any phone.

Sent from my XT1096

Excuse me, the Galaxy Nexus was my fifth Android phone so Lollipop isn't my first rodeo lol

Some people are having issues, some are not. It seems to be power users having issues, including everyone on the Android Central podcast. I tried wiping the phone to no avail.

Is Lollipop beautiful? Yes! Can I use this 5.0 build as a daily driver? Sure. But the widely reported memory issue is a real downer.

Lollipop is a huge upgrade and unfortunately it's got some bad bugs. Not nearly as bad as Honeycomb or ICS but it's up there. Even after wiping my Moto X, I still have to reboot it once every two days to have it act snappy at all.

Honestly I don't know if I'd rather have 4.4 or 5.0 running on my Moto X.

Posted via the Android Central App

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Excuse me, the Galaxy Nexus was my fifth Android phone so Lollipop isn't my first rodeo lol

Some people are having issues, some are not. It seems to be power users having issues, including everyone on the Android Central podcast. I tried wiping the phone to no avail.

Is Lollipop beautiful? Yes! Can I use this 5.0 build as a daily driver? Sure. But the widely reported memory issue is a real downer.

Lollipop is a huge upgrade and unfortunately it's got some bad bugs. Not nearly as bad as Honeycomb or ICS but it's up there. Even after wiping my Moto X, I still have to reboot it once every two days to have it act snappy at all.

Honestly I don't know if I'd rather have 4.4 or 5.0 running on my Moto X.

Posted via the Android Central App
Many are having bugs. Many will always have bugs with any update. Google could have released 4.4 again completely unchanged and people would still have bugs just from the update process.

The memory leak is not that bad of a bug. Restarting your phone every couple of days should be habit for people anyway. It of course should be fixed as quickly as possible, but it breaks nothing.

The only thing I have heard AC complain about on the podcast is design choices in lollipop. They have not complained about general bugs. They may have them, but they not claimed that I have seen.

Every keeps talking about all these horrible bugs, but the memory leak is the only one several people seem to have. The buggy mess that lollipop supposedly is really boils down to one bigish bug, bugs cause by the update process, and a bunch of new stuff that people at or may not like. It is really a grand victory for Google.

Sent from my XT1096

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Many are having bugs. Many will always have bugs with any update. Google could have released 4.4 again completely unchanged and people would still have bugs just from the update process.

The memory leak is not that bad of a bug. Restarting your phone every couple of days should be habit for people anyway. It of course should be fixed as quickly as possible, but it breaks nothing.

The only thing I have heard AC complain about on the podcast is design choices in lollipop. They have not complained about general bugs. They may have them, but they not claimed that I have seen.

Every keeps talking about all these horrible bugs, but the memory leak is the only one several people seem to have. The buggy mess that lollipop supposedly is really boils down to one bigish bug, bugs cause by the update process, and a bunch of new stuff that people at or may not like. It is really a grand victory for Google.

Sent from my XT1096

I agree with many of your points, but both Andrew and Russell have said a few times now their Moto Xs are running a lot slower after the lollipop update, unfortunately. Same with Droid Life podcast.

Posted via Android Central App

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree with many of your points, but both Andrew and Russell have said a few times now their Moto Xs are running a lot slower after the lollipop update, unfortunately. Same with Droid Life podcast.

Posted via Android Central App
Running slower is extremely hard to quantify. Is it because the transitions are by default slower? Is it apps loading because or the new run time? Is it general ui lag?

Notice none of those are actually bugs, but rather design choices and possibly unoptimized code.

If people don't like lollipop, that is one thing, but call it what it is. It is not a buggy mess or unstable. It is a new operating system with new ways of doing things and a lot of code that probably needs to be better optimized. If people don't want all that then, then don't upgrade,but don't complain on forum about all these wide spread bugs that do not appear to exist. It only muddies the water and prevents the real issues from getting the attention they deserve.

Please don't take this as an attack on you. I just get on here and see all these complaints(mostly by people that probably don't even own a device running lollipop) about bugs and stability and how it's the worst release ever, and from my point of view it is probably the best. I mean 2 years ago everyone would be complaining about never getting update. Now everyone is complaining about actually getting it and acting like the few legitimate issues are huge deal breakers, and it is mind boggling to me. I mean the guys on the other side of the fence in the walled garden recently had a version of ios8 that took away the ability to make phone calls. We have had nothing close to that.

Sent from my XT1096

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Running slower is extremely hard to quantify. Is it because the transitions are by default slower? Is it apps loading because or the new run time? Is it general ui lag?

Notice none of those are actually bugs, but rather design choices and possibly unoptimized code.

If people don't like lollipop, that is one thing, but call it what it is. It is not a buggy mess or unstable. It is a new operating system with new ways of doing things and a lot of code that probably needs to be better optimized. If people don't want all that then, then don't upgrade,but don't complain on forum about all these wide spread bugs that do not appear to exist. It only muddies the water and prevents the real issues from getting the attention they deserve.

Please don't take this as an attack on you. I just get on here and see all these complaints(mostly by people that probably don't even own a device running lollipop) about bugs and stability and how it's the worst release ever, and from my point of view it is probably the best. I mean 2 years ago everyone would be complaining about never getting update. Now everyone is complaining about actually getting it and acting like the few legitimate issues are huge deal breakers, and it is mind boggling to me. I mean the guys on the other side of the fence in the walled garden recently had a version of ios8 that took away the ability to make phone calls. We have had nothing close to that.

Sent from my XT1096
You know I must agree with you. And not to go against anyone on this forum or this thread as well, but every software version has bugs and issues. I'm nothing Google is turning us into beta testers I therefore there software release it is but everything is going to have a bug here in that. You have to be accepting that to some degree. The only reason I posted the question is just a see if anyone else can relate to me a little bit but I can also do understand that we're still talking about mobile software at the end the day regardless of how beautiful lollipop looks or how annoying another piece of mobile software can be. When I got my second gen Moto X, the sole reasons in which I bought the phone vs my original Moto X were as follows: the incredible excellent build quality of the 2nd gen Moto X, and of course lollipop 5.0. I think it's one of the best build smartphones that is out tonight and lollipop really is awesome we also have a few small bugs in it may or may not have. By the way, I'm sure Google will fix it in future self to releases... Google would be stupid if they didn't fix things of course just like anyone else. I have noticed on my 2nd gen Moto X, and that the touchscreen doesn't seem to care as many fingerprints do the Corning Gorilla Glass 3 vs girls last two on the original Moto X. Which is something I love much easier to keep clean and it's much less annoying. :)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Great to hear. I hate bugs. got a bad one now
Hey listen in my defense., I bought the Droid turbo because it was a special promotion and the room now card widget and I have my NHL hockey team set up via my Google accounts. Well, it just still turned out that, flinching and I was the only one to have those issues. After buying a 2nd gen is coming with lollipop 5.0 on it I have no issues that I have to love the phone!

Hayyden

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey listen in my defense., I bought the Droid turbo because it was a special promotion and the room now card widget and I have my NHL hockey team set up via my Google accounts. Well, it just still turned out that, flinching and I was the only one to have those issues. After buying a 2nd gen is coming with lollipop 5.0 on it I have no issues that I have to love the phone!

Great to hear it. Lollipop 5.0 is the best

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Great to hear it. Lollipop 5.0 is the best
listen, again, I understand that software has glitches and all that stuff. But I do overall like lollipop. I just can't say it enough. I like the animations to screen transitions everything like that. I think it's smooth it's a lot better on battery I do have my screen brightness turned all the way down and I can still easily see the screen.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I really don't have any issues with lollipop on my Verizon Moto X. Its pretty damn smooth.
Yes, once again, Touche. I can't really complain about anything whatsoever. Very solid, very stable. Everything does its function and its purpose and its job. I didn't even with lollipop 5.0 being better on battery from them., I turned down my screen brightness because of my first generation moto x per charge the battery would be eaten away by the screen brightness taking 40 to 50 percent of the battery. I didn't even realize what a huge difference that would honestly make. Just using the phone for what I've always just before. The one thing I do love about physical aspects of the new Moto X I do like the little bit bigger screen although the 4.7 inch screen on the Moto X previously wasn't horrible at all. I also do love the sinner design with the all aluminum framing construction. Very stable and selling build quality of the Motorola has always been known for.

Will Eaton

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I got an invite by Google today for the app inbox by Gmail. I try it out. It use a hundred and 50 megabytes of RAM and he heated my phone up so much so and drain my battery so much. Has anyone else tried this or experienced this at all?

I have Inbox for a few months and I haven't noticed any issues.

Posted via my Moto X (2014)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have Inbox for a few months and I haven't noticed any issues.

Posted via my Moto X (2014)
You know what's interesting is when I run my regular Gmail app for email app for iPhones cool does it concern lot of battery excetera excetera that says and I downloaded in box by the email is heated up battery was smoked 20 percent in an hour which is uncommon for this phone of course the second I deleted it went right back to normal. Something was up with that app.

Sent from my custom 2nd Gen Moto X built by moto maker running lollipop 5.0