Video Of My GEAR S3 LTE Is Up : )

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Folks, you're buying a tool, not a work of art. Smartwatches are designed to make your life better- easier, more efficient, more convienant, etc. It does this job for a finite period of time (~18-36 months) and eventually needs to be replaced. Thing of them like an appliance ie. a refrigerator.

Interesting perspective. Mine is: It's a watch... Therefore it should last longer than a phone and it should look good the entire time.

Plus this things being marketed as tough and rugged. If the paint scratches off then it's not tough or rugged. I'm looking for something comparable to the toughness of my Gshock.

Last edited:

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting perspective. Mine is: It's a watch... Therefore it should last longer than a phone and it should look good the entire time.

Plus this things being marketed as tough and rugged. If the paint scratches off then it's not tough or rugged. I'm looking for something comparable to the toughness of my Gshock.

What he said. Also im sure tools take a beating and they dont lose their look until long long grueling use. If you hit this once you could be good and done. Im sorry but dropping 400 on a WATCH it is marketed as a smartwatch, and like Kalvin said, i expect something marketed as rugged to keep its color after a hit and not start loosing its look after one scuff. Kalvin i agree the Chrome seems to not have this issue but the problem for me the Chrome also feels very light and cheap. The frontier feels heavier more well built except the whole discoloring deal after a hit.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
What he said. Also im sure tools take a beating and they dont lose their look until long long grueling use. If you hit this once you could be good and done. Im sorry but dropping 400 on a WATCH it is marketed as a smartwatch, and like Kalvin said, i expect something marketed as rugged to keep its color after a hit and not start loosing its look after one scuff. Kalvin i agree the Chrome seems to not have this issue but the problem for me the Chrome also feels very light and cheap. The frontier feels heavier more well built except the whole discoloring deal after a hit.

Yeah blopez, I'm bummed, but gonna hold off for now. I'm not seeing a really great reason to spend on this yet.

I looked at Pebbles, but honestly they just look like a junky kids toy to me and feel terrible to try and use, very clunky.

I'm extremely disappointed that in 2016 no one can seem to get smartwatches right. Oh well, guess I'll wait another year.

ateamlawn

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah blopez, I'm bummed, but gonna hold off for now. I'm not seeing a really great reason to spend on this yet.

I looked at Pebbles, but honestly they just look like a junky kids toy to me and feel terrible to try and use, very clunky.

I'm extremely disappointed that in 2016 no one can seem to get smartwatches right. Oh well, guess I'll wait another year.
Samsung really got it right. I have the classic and love it. You can get the Bluetooth version classic or Frontier for 299 just about every where right now. I love it so much I'm going to get the Frontier too. I already have 5 Samsung smartwatches because I like to change up depending on how I'm dressed. I have gold silver and black to match my other jewelry. I bought a Moto 360 a few years ago but I hated Android Wear. Maybe it's better now but it lacks the features of a Samsung watch. So if you are really serious about getting a smart watch you can't go wrong with the Gear S3.

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Samsung really got it right. I have the classic and love it. You can get the Bluetooth version classic or Frontier for 299 just about every where right now. I love it so much I'm going to get the Frontier too. I already have 5 Samsung smartwatches because I like to change up depending on how I'm dressed. I have gold silver and black to match my other jewelry. I bought a Moto 360 a few years ago but I hated Android Wear. Maybe it's better now but it lacks the features of a Samsung watch. So if you are really serious about getting a smart watch you can't go wrong with the Gear S3.

Ill agree with you that i think from everything ive read internally Samsung has hit the mark. Externally the issue compared to other smartwatches samsung dropped the ball with the frontier as it seems very fragile to scuffing. I will say this i love the look of the Samsung S i wish they did a similar watch again. Not sure if the S is obsolite now or if still gets support. Right now im considering getting a S2 from facebook, ebay since ive seen them as low as 100 i might pull the trigger. Or I might just get a fitbit charge 2. Although the main thing that makes me want the s3 is the samsung pay.

ateamlawn

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Just had to make a quick Hands On of this watch cuz i'm over the moon in love with it! :-*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIwCwEZcRds
I usually watch YouTube videos on my TV using my Chromecast. So as I was watching your video I wondered if I could control the video with my Gear S3 like I normally do with my phone when watching on my TV. Guess what? It works perfectly. And that's a great thing for me because I often time load up my que on YouTube and then put my phone down and just watch as if I was watching regular TV. Also I noticed when you were looking for your media player app you navigated all the way to your apps to get to the media player. You need only to pull down from the watch face and tap the music symbol. Loving my Gear S3.
0e2fae3ee4b41c422565028908dd31ea.jpg

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I...You need only to pull down from the watch face and tap the music symbol. Loving my Gear S3. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161201/0e2fae3ee4b41c422565028908dd31ea.jpg

Yeah, in the video i did mention i didn't have all the shortcuts down yet, but i DID demonstrate you can stop/start your video with the watch : ) It REALLY surprised me too, since there is little to no "Google Integration" i surely would have thought, "no way will it work w/ YouTube... Huge surprise & bonus : )

i am loving it TOO...its a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!

BTC

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Folks, you're buying a tool, not a work of art. Smartwatches are designed to make your life better- easier, more efficient, more convienant, etc. It does this job for a finite period of time (~18-36 months) and eventually needs to be replaced. Thing of them like an appliance ie. a refrigerator.

I don't know about you, but I don't replace my refrigerator every 18-36 months....

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about you, but I don't replace my refrigerator every 18-36 months....

Refrigerators and smartphones are mature products. Smartwatches are in the infancy stage of the product development lifecycle. I'm not saying that current watches will stop working after a couple of years, I'm saying that they will become functionally obsolete. This is further amplified by our behavior. Right now smartwatches are only attracting early adapters, people who are always buying the latest greatest. How many folks here are still using a Galaxy S5 or iPhone 6 as their daily driver?

I'm not giving Samsung a free pass, but that ruggedness image is marketing hype. If you believe that stuff, I've got a bridge in San Francisco to sell you... The reality is anything that's used as much as a smartwatch is, 12-18 hr/day, 365 is gonna show some wear and tear.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Finally got to play with a Frontier today. Much nicer, sleeker and thinner than the reviews make it out to be. It's smaller than my current Gshock daily driver.

Seems cool, but still holding out due to the price tag and scratch issue.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Refrigerators and smartphones are mature products. Smartwatches are in the infancy stage of the product development lifecycle. I'm not saying that current watches will stop working after a couple of years, I'm saying that they will become functionally obsolete. This is further amplified by our behavior. Right now smartwatches are only attracting early adapters, people who are always buying the latest greatest. How many folks here are still using a Galaxy S5 or iPhone 6 as their daily driver?

I'm not giving Samsung a free pass, but that ruggedness image is marketing hype. If you believe that stuff, I've got a bridge in San Francisco to sell you... The reality is anything that's used as much as a smartwatch is, 12-18 hr/day, 365 is gonna show some wear and tear.

No, I agree to some extent. I can see how a device marketed as rugged should be expected to get dinged up, but maybe the metal should be a solid color, not "painted on". I don't want my watches dinged up, but I understand they are a tool and when worn around weights, they risk getting scratched. Heck I bought a case for my S7 cause I thought it would compliment the watch. Now I'm not even buying the S3 Frontier. I ended up ordering the Garmin Fenix 3 HR last night.

ateamlawn

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, in the video i did mention i didn't have all the shortcuts down yet, but i DID demonstrate you can stop/start your video with the watch : ) It REALLY surprised me too, since there is little to no "Google Integration" i surely would have thought, "no way will it work w/ YouTube... Huge surprise & bonus : )

i am loving it TOO...its a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!

BTC
No. Didn't surprise me that it works with YouTube but it did surprise me that I was able to still control the video with my watch once it was on my TV.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmax36884