Question Voice focus

mgstevens

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
Just purchased a Galaxy A34 with Android 14 installed.
It is supposed to have the new Voice Focus installed - can I check this and does it need to be activated?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if the A34 has that feature (or if it needs it; if it has noise cancelation hardware it is not required), but if it is there, you should be able to type VOICE FOCUS in the Settings search bar and it'd show up.

Reactions: VidJunky

mgstevens

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
OK Thanks Typed in settings but nothing shows up. Was assured by Samsung that the A34 has but would like a way of checking it. Will continue trying to get some sense out of Samsung support but their tech experts are not upto speed I think.

Reactions: J Dubbs

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
A quick search turned up this article...

It says this way down inside...

Awesome Experiences

Galaxy A54 and Galaxy A34 offer consumers a host of meaningful experiential features that enrich their lives.

• The unique Voice Focus feature allows users to enjoy clearer voice/video calls with your voice isolated from the background noise.
Note the "experimental" part.

In the meantime this thread appeared for the question how to enable...

Samsung in their usual, no help at all I might as well be yelling at the ocean, response was...
Question;
Why Samsung doesn't provide auto turn on voice focus while attending the call. If they provide it in Settings>other call settings>Auto Voice focus(On/Off toggle), it will be very useful who are attending the call while stuck on crowd/road.

Samsung response;
Dear Samsung Member,

Greetings from Samsung Customer Support!

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We welcome your suggestion and appreciate the time and effort you have spent sharing your valuable comments. This will help us to improve our services.

Thank you for writing to Samsung.

Warm Regards,

Samsung Customer Support

I was able to find this video. It's in Hindi but CC can translate it to other languages.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
My understanding when I was looking around for a new phone last year was that this model (and others with this feature) is only available in the Indian market. Is that where you are located?

mgstevens

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
Solved after a lengthy chat session -yes I have Voice Focus installed.
Samsung reply :
It requires a One Ui 5 version or higher. Then this should be available on your phone. It can be enabled during call, when on call you can turn on the Voice Focus on the upper left corner of the screen.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for posting the solution should anyone else come looking.

Did your device not arrive with the latest update and you simply had to perform the update or did you have to do other things to get the updated version needed?

mgstevens

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
I purchased it from a department store in the UK and it was preinstalled with Voice Focus I eventually found out.
What I could not find out without help was how to activate it. After viewing some Indian videos I could see the symbol but their sequence was different.
When yo make or receive a call a green symbol shows up at the top of the screen - in my case it is on the right hand side. To activate it just press on the symbol and it should disappear. Of course it only makes your voice clearer in noisy places but needs the recipient to have Voice Focus installed as well for you to benefit.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The Voice Focus feature is only available on selected A-series models for the Indian market and not elsewhere. Your particular model already has noise cancellation built-in via a secondary microphone.

Any info you have gleaned, either via Google or YouTube is India based (ever seen a video which isn't from India?). Forget what you read on Samsung forums etc as they simply aren't or won't be aware this is a feature only available for that market.

When the microphone is first activated, whether at the start of a call, using Google Assistant, Shazam or whatever, you will briefly see the green microphone icon shown on the top right of the display before turning to a green dot showing that the microphone is active.

Your phone already has noise cancellation built-in so forget about VF and just enjoy your new phone.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the update all.
Samsung are very confusing in that they spec the same model phone for different markets.

For example the UK A34 has 8 gig of RAM and 256 storage. The Indian version also offers this and a cheaper 6 gig, 128 storage option plus VF.

For another example, the UK A14 5G version has 4 gig RAM/64 storage only. For India they offer 4/6/8 gig RAM, all with 128 storage plus VF.

Samsung also fit different chips for different markets. Follow the annual furore in the States as to whether the latest flagship S-series (amongst others) is getting a Qualcomm or Exynos chip.