Welcome to the Samsung Epic 4G! Please introduce yourselves here.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey all the Epic is very much Epic I moved from the Moment (very Pleased). I love the qwerty keyboard makes life easier. We have 1 Epic and 1 Intercept
Welcome and congrats on your purchase of the Epic 4g. Speaking of the Moment, my friend still swears by his Moment... Does everything he wants, likes the display and the physical keyboard.

Stig82

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
New to Android

Hello everyone, this is my first Android I recently had a webos phone, I rooted that phone and enjoyed some of the hacks so im interested in rooting this phone but im not sure how safe it is.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my first Android I recently had a webos phone, I rooted that phone and enjoyed some of the hacks so im interested in rooting this phone but im not sure how safe it is.
Welcome to Android and the Epic 4g!

If the rooting is ok then i would like to know what are the best hacks for the phone
Rooting is okay just like any other device. Of course the carriers/device makers frown on us for rooting our devices with the exception of a few now that are actually encouraging rooting & hacking like HTC's recent announcement.

Anyways, all the information you need to root the Epic 4g is located below.

[Root] Epic 4G Froyo & Eclair with ClockworkMod v3.0.2.5 Dual RFS/EXT4 Support

As far as mods, we have them all.. Take a look at the threads located in this section below and you can see the threads starting with [ROM] are the individual threads for a ROM and you will see a feature list of what they have done to the ROMs. I think you will be quite pleased with what is available.

Epic 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks

We also have a master list of all available, ROMs/themes/kernels/mods for the most recent official OS, Froyo EC05 available below.

[Index] Froyo EC05 ROM's, Kernels, Themes, & Other Mods [Updated 6/1]

Last but not least, you can check the FAQ listed in my signature for answers to questions you may have and feel free to post any questions you may have about rooting/hacking in that section/link I provided above. Welcome again to Android, the Epic 4g and Android Central.

Reactions: kridder0

BoomerFZ1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey all...Ex-Evo owner made the leap!

Hey all. I had the Evo for the past year and while I really liked it, I always liked the Samsung phones better than HTC's offerings. So I come up due and decide to get the Nexus S 4g....BIG MISTAKE!!! That think is a serious POS!!! So here I am with the only other phone on Sprint I'd own and I gotta say, now that I've had it a few, I really like it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey all. I had the Evo for the past year and while I really liked it, I always liked the Samsung phones better than HTC's offerings. So I come up due and decide to get the Nexus S 4g....BIG MISTAKE!!! That think is a serious POS!!! So here I am with the only other phone on Sprint I'd own and I gotta say, now that I've had it a few, I really like it.
Glad to have you onboard.

Goterps76

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I am finding to the Epic 4G to be SO slow. When I look up a contact in Contacts or the phone it takes forever. I have 4000 contacts. Is that the issue? The device just can't handle that?:-\

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am finding to the Epic 4G to be SO slow. When I look up a contact in Contacts or the phone it takes forever. I have 4000 contacts. Is that the issue? The device just can't handle that?:-\
Yes I would probably say that 4000 contacts is probably your problem. That is an awful lot of contacts for any device to search through without causing some sort of lag.

kridder0

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Howdy!

My Palm Pre was done. Here I am with an Epic. Tried the Samsung Replenish, but returned it within 6 days for the Epic. When's Gingerbread? ;)

schmagoogly

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys!

I've upgraded from the Optimus S to Epic 4G. Although my Optimus was rooted, ROM'd, and an awesome first-time-owning-an-android device, It's difficult to miss it at all with the shear amazingness of my new Epic 4G!

It's rooted and running SRF 1.1.1 which makes it the best smart phone experience I have ever had. My Epic's responsiveness and performance puts my dad's Evo 4G to shame :D

Anyway, love this phone and love the AC community!

ski21

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, just purchased an epic off ebay. I'm trying to read up on the rooting, and roming and stuff until it gets here. I've never had an android phone, been using a TP2 for longest time, which I unlocked and flashed tons different roms. Is rooting and flashing the epic similar to the TP2. I hope so. Also is there a totally newbie guide to android, because I'm a little intimidated by some of the terms like, odin, clockworkmod, froyo, eclair etc. Hopefully I get a a good grasp before the phone gets here, so I can get right to modding it hehe. I love the site, and look forward to learning the ins and outs of android. I guess my biggest thing I need on this device is wireless tethering, is it easy to do. I don't have 4g in my area so that isn't a problem.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, just purchased an epic off ebay. I'm trying to read up on the rooting, and roming and stuff until it gets here. I've never had an android phone, been using a TP2 for longest time, which I unlocked and flashed tons different roms. Is rooting and flashing the epic similar to the TP2. I hope so. Also is there a totally newbie guide to android, because I'm a little intimidated by some of the terms like, odin, clockworkmod, froyo, eclair etc. Hopefully I get a a good grasp before the phone gets here, so I can get right to modding it hehe. I love the site, and look forward to learning the ins and outs of android. I guess my biggest thing I need on this device is wireless tethering, is it easy to do. I don't have 4g in my area so that isn't a problem.

Welcome to Android and the Epic 4g!

If you goto my FAQ thread below it will answer many of your common questions and give you some reasonable explanations and answers.

[FAQ] Q & A on Rooting/ROMs/Methods

When it comes to Rooting your device...

[Root] Epic 4G Froyo & Eclair ClockworkMod v3.0.2.5 Switch Between RFS & EXT4

Wireless tethering...

[How To] Wireless Tethering for Root Users

Any more questions please feel free to ask in the Rooting and Hacking section and if possible in the threads pertaining to your question and we will help you out :)

Again, welcome to Android Central, Android in general and congrats on your Epic 4g...

Paul627g

Reactions: ski21

ski21

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Paul, so I was looking at how to factory restore, and see there are 7 procedures. If I root and flash a custom rom, would I have to perform all 7 procedures to return to stock. I see they all have different stock files, or would I just have to perform the one that had the stock file on it when I started? Thanks again for the links. Very helpful.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Paul, so I was looking at how to factory restore, and see there are 7 procedures. If I root and flash a custom rom, would I have to perform all 7 procedures to return to stock. I see they all have different stock files, or would I just have to perform the one that had the stock file on it when I started? Thanks again for the links. Very helpful.

No problem..

Anyways.. For the factory restore, sorry that looks so confusing.. Basically its a build up of all the different versions of OS that have come out for the Epic 4g and a few optional methods.

Depending on what you device comes with the most current official build for the Epic 4g is Froyo EC05. So that is really the only version with the factory restore you need to worry about, which is procedure #1.

You can use the other versions like Froyo EB13 or Eclair 2.1 (DI18) but your taking a step back in time but some users prefer the older versions over the new.. To each their own..

Reactions: ski21

xalky

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I'm a long time palm phone user that just got tired of waiting for a new device. My last phone was a palm pixi which was a great little phone but I was getting a little envious of the Android users with there big screens and the pace of innovation and the huge choice of apps. I bought a used (like brand new) 1 week old epic 4g and activated it last night. This thing is amazing and I've barely scratched the surface.

I'm a tweaker, I always tweaked my Palms, this phone will be no different.

Which rom seems to be the most stable, best battery life, etc...?
I'm kinda leaning towards the latest Syndicate rom, with the overclock abilities. Would that be a good choice to start with?

You guys will probably be seeing a lot of me around here, sponging up info. :p

glenner444

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys.

Epic 4g owner for about a month now. Have figured out lots of tricks without root (launcher, custom icons, widget skins, etc.) but am now considering rooting. Not too worried about bricking my phone, just not sure if it's going to be worth the work. Pretty happy with my device performance and look. Just wish I could take screenshots. Will probably just go install the sdk to do it so I can show off my homescreens.

Anyone have a strong opinion on rooting to increase the performance of the Epic?

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I just upgrade from my pre that i had from day one i love it and it was root and modified to the teeth, but i am tired of waiting for a new device and look that the pre 3 would be on att and I want to stay with sprint ,and i can wait to root this baby. Epic

RandomKing

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been a member over at XDA for a few months, offering insight and help as best as I can. Even put together my own custom rom over the last month or so. Thought I'd come in here and see what this forum is all about, actually signed up some time ago. :D

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been a member over at XDA for a few months, offering insight and help as best as I can. Even put together my own custom rom over the last month or so. Thought I'd come in here and see what this forum is all about, actually signed up some time ago. :D

I can verify that this guys roms are highly optimized for battery life. Hopefully RandomKing will write one of his articles up for everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anzarkv