What can we expect in the V40 now that the G7 is out?

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I currently have an LG V30. I've been really spoiled by the quad DAC and just the huge difference it makes when listening to music, with a pair of higher impedance headphones. There's nothing like it on the market. The battery life has also been fantastic, even with the AOD toggled on, and location also toggled on periodically, at high accuracy.

Having said all that, I'm selling the phone on eBay, because its weaknesses are glaring. For one, the UI is aesthetically terrible. And LG's theme store is laughable. I know there are themes available in the Play Store, but coming from a Nexus 6P that is set to look like a Pixel with Nova Prime, I'm not at all interested in making yet another phone look like a Pixel with the themes on offer.

Secondly, even when I'm at home and mostly on Wi-Fi on T-Mobile, I've never had full bars, much less when I'm out at appointments. On my Nexus 6P, however, I'm still able to get signal in a bad coverage area.

Finally, call quality is just bad. I'm always being told by the person on the other end that there's an echo, which is annoying.

With the release of the G7, I like the fact that they changed the look of the stock folder icons to allow users to view up to nine apps per folder, a la iOS. To me, it just looks cleaner. But LG must step it up with regard to theming options for the stock launcher.

I'd like a better quality screen, with brightness boost. I actually wouldn't mind it if LG used their new LCD panel in the V40, as long as it had the G7's brightness setting. If they do go with OLED, I'd still like a brighter panel, with more defined screen settings. sRGB needs to actually look like it's been toggled on.

Dual stereo speakers would be nice, but the "boom box" speaker seems fine, from the videos I've seen.

Improve call quality and reception. That's a must.

Improved front camera

Move the power button to the side, instead of in the FPS. I don't care if there's a hardware GA button on the left, but constantly triggering the power button when the phone is on a flat surface is annoying.

No notch, please!

A bigger battery is always welcome.

I'm gonna miss the quad DAC once my V30 sells, but LG still has some work to do, IMHO.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree about theming.

I don't use the selfie camera but I agree it should be better (on par with other flagship phones)

My call quality and reception are great

This is my first OLED screened phone and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I loved when LG put the buttons on the back and I'm praying they continue. I don't like that they G7 separated the power button and fingerprint sensor.

Honestly for myself I really like the V30+ I've had the G2, G3, G4, G5, G6 and now the 30. The last two have restored a bit of faith in LG for me.

Either way I hope your next phone works out better for you. 🙂

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
.... For one, the UI is aesthetically terrible.

I am ok with it, but loved the Nexus 6Ps more. Sadly, even there the good things get less and less (Google Now for example. I loved it, when it still worked).
I would recommend other launchers. Many love the Nova launcher.

And LG's theme store is laughable. I know there are themes available in the Play Store, but coming from a Nexus 6P that is set to look like a Pixel with Nova Prime, I'm not at all interested in making yet another phone look like a Pixel with the themes on offer.

As said: different launcher helps. There are icon packs, backdrops ... heck, the whole thing about Android is its customizability.

Secondly, even when I'm at home and mostly on Wi-Fi on T-Mobile, I've never had full bars, much less when I'm out at appointments. On my Nexus 6P, however, I'm still able to get signal in a bad coverage area.

Couldn't confirm that. My Nexus 6P had the same reception as my V30. The only thing bugging me about the V30 is, that it heads strait for the weakest WiFi signal. I got 3 Wifi networks set up. One in the cellar at the cable modem - this one has a very weak signal on the basement floor. Two more (one G one N) are on the upper floor. The N is a bit weak on the basement floor, but the G would suffice nicely, even in the garden.
If only the V30 would select it without being explicitly told so. My phone always takes the cellar signal, which is the weakest... d'oh.

Finally, call quality is just bad. I'm always being told by the person on the other end that there's an echo, which is annoying.

I understand your frustration but can't confirm that. I have nice quality and reception.

I'd like a better quality screen, with brightness boost. I actually wouldn't mind it if LG used their new LCD panel in the V40, as long as it had the G7's brightness setting. If they do go with OLED, I'd still like a brighter panel, with more defined screen settings. sRGB needs to actually look like it's been toggled on.

A bit more brightness would be nice, when I look videos or streams. That's right.
But else I am very happy with my display. The resolution, the deep blacks, the nice colours, all of it is great. But I must say I am one of the lucky ones, where the blueshift is nearly not noticable, so I might have a better quality display built in anyway. Who knows.

Dual stereo speakers would be nice...
Agree, even though I understand, that this is a problem place-wise. Could probably be solved somehow without sacrifices. Others can do it too. When at it, make the DAC usable for the USB port and the speakers, too.

Improved front camera

oh yes.
And let me continue on that thought: use a bigger sensor on the backcamera as well! No sense in using nice optics and ruining it with the sensor. Why would anyone want to bottleneck his device? Is this really so much more expensive?

Move the power button to the side, instead of in the FPS. I don't care if there's a hardware GA button on the left, but constantly triggering the power button when the phone is on a flat surface is annoying.

Nooooo ;) ... please leave it there. It's genious. I love it.

No notch, please!
... or at least make it "away-able", like Oneplus does it with the Oneplus 6.

seconded and signed, even though I must say, that the powerperformance is really good with this phone.

I'm gonna miss the quad DAC once my V30 sells, but LG still has some work to do, IMHO.

The best of luck to you!

Last edited:

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the V30 a few months ago. So far it has been great. Signal is good, and call quality seems fine. My only gripe would be the FFC. Luckily, I don't use it that often.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an LG V30. I've been really spoiled by the quad DAC and just the huge difference it makes when listening to music, with a pair of higher impedance headphones. There's nothing like it on the market. The battery life has also been fantastic, even with the AOD toggled on, and location also toggled on periodically, at high accuracy.

Having said all that, I'm selling the phone on eBay, because its weaknesses are glaring. For one, the UI is aesthetically terrible. And LG's theme store is laughable. I know there are themes available in the Play Store, but coming from a Nexus 6P that is set to look like a Pixel with Nova Prime, I'm not at all interested in making yet another phone look like a Pixel with the themes on offer.

With the release of the G7, I like the fact that they changed the look of the stock folder icons to allow users to view up to nine apps per folder, a la iOS. To me, it just looks cleaner. But LG must step it up with regard to theming options for the stock launcher.

Dual stereo speakers would be nice, but the "boom box" speaker seems fine, from the videos I've seen.

Improve call quality and reception. That's a must.

Improved front camera

No notch, please!

I've had my V30 since launch. I purposely waited for it because of all the hype with the camera, ergonomics and, of course, that 32bit ESS Sabre quad dac. I'm on tmobile and have not experienced any of the issues that you mentioned. My calls are crystal clear, and I have full bars most of the time. I always leave my location on and I still get great battery life. So I guess I'm very happy with the V30 to the point where I'll keep it for 2 years c

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte16