What do you do with your old phone?

SandyS2014

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
They still work, RIGHT? Turn on WiFi & Google Assistant and use them. No need to buy Google home etc. I leave one in my bedroom as my alarm & to control hue light/thermostat, etc. Pretty much one in every room. And yes, you can make calls without a cell signal.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I've done a few different things with my older devices. I used my LG G4 like a tablet until I sacrificed it to the Samsung gods for a nice discount on my Note 8. I gave my old LG Leon to my sister after she turned her phone into a toilet U-boat and I swap my V20 out with my Note 8 for daily driver duties.

anon(10388027)

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
No judgemental here... But that is a remarkable Android phone fixation, having moved on from a Note 8... Maybe the 6.3 inch screen wasn't for you... Some don't like the rounded edges, and I understand that.

anon(10388027)

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
I certainly would never return my phone to my carrier for their low ball offer.

Change has been remarkable enough that I have no interest in holding on to old phones.

I have never purchased year over year upgrades.

My last jump was from the Note 5 to the Note 8.

My next jump might be the Note 12... A well established 5G phone.

PixelTracer

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
I have a collection of my parent's old phones that I use as either props in movies or just backup phones.

I use my mom's old Galaxy Note 4 as an MP3 player.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Currently sitting on a Note 3, 4, and 5 that aren't active. I like using them for music or streaming video to the TV rather than using my active phone. Notifications during music playback drives me nuts.

Also play some games on them around the house, basically my phone is used as a phone and my old phone is my entertainment.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Currently sitting on a Note 3, 4, and 5 that aren't active. I like using them for music or streaming video to the TV rather than using my active phone. Notifications during music playback drives me nuts.

Also play some games on them around the house, basically my phone is used as a phone and my old phone is my entertainment.

You're right, notifications while you're listening to music are quite irksome! So that is a good plan you've made for yourself!

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I normally sell mine on Swappa or to a friend. The only used phone I have as a back up is an HTC M8 which is my favorite smartphone to date. I power it up from time to time just to go down memory lane .

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
I religiously keep all my old phones (and other peoples if they don't want them!). Truth is I need them. I decided to get into Android app development in my spare time, and having as many different phones as possible is really useful. Different screen sizes, different versions of android, some are fast, some not so fast, but all useful.

I currently have: OnePlus 5 (current phone), Nexbit Robin, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, LG Leon and a (very old) ZTE Blade.

...but that means I have Android Oreo (8.1 and 8.0), Nougat (7.1, 7.0), Marshmallow (6.0), Lollipop (5.1 and 5.0) and Kitkat (4.4). This covers testing for 95% of all android phones in use at the moment. Can you believe Nougat and Oreo only account for about 26% of all android users!

It is actually really surprising that one phone can cause a bug that all others don't. Drives you nuts sometimes, so it's better to have as many as possible.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I religiously keep all my old phones (and other peoples if they don't want them!). Truth is I need them. I decided to get into Android app development as in my spare time, and having as many different phones as possible is really useful. Different screen sizes, different versions of android, some are fast, some not so fast, but all useful.

I currently have: OnePlus 5 (current phone), Nexbit Robin, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, LG Leon and a (very old) ZTE Blade.

...but that means I have Android Oreo (8.1 and 8.0), Nougat (7.1, 7.0), Marshmallow (6.0), Lollipop (5.1 and 5.0) and Kitkat (4.4). This covers testing for 95% of all android phones in use at the moment. Can you believe Nougat and Oreo only account for about 26% of all android users!

It is actually really surprising that one phone can cause a bug that all others don't. Drives you nuts sometimes, so it's better to have as many as possible.

Wow, what a great way to utilize all of your old phones (as well as other people's!)! Good for you!

And whoah, I didn't know that statistic! I thought it'd be way more than that!