What happened to this phone?

freeoscar

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey all - I've had the Fascinate since October 10. I always had little problems, nothing big except for the GPS which seemed to fix itself with the Froyo update. I picked up a firesale Palm Pre2 last summer, and have been using that just for a change. A month or so ago I decided to go back to the fascinate b/c I wanted to watch the NCAA app, and I missed the awesome screen of the fascinate. I actually did a factory reset and then re-activated it. The gingerbread update went through. Now the phone is terrible. Its always freezing and shutting down/restarting itself. Is this what others are experiencing?

Ataraxia212

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd take Mtn_Scott's advice if you are into rooting, flashing ROMs etc. The update from Froyo to GB improved my user experience, not the other way around as you've experienced.

bstarfish

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I both have Fascinates and both have had the same experience since the GB update. Our phones freeze and reboot randomly.

I have done a factory reset, and while it seemed to have helped for a week or two it is back to freezing and rebooting.

We both love the phone, but the OS is very frustrating. I have been checking with Best Buy about replacements. When they run out of Fascinates to replace mine with I'll see what they can do about getting a different phone.

freeoscar

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I looked into Odin, but I have a Mac, not a windows machine. I looked into rooting, but the instructions for rooting on a Mac don't work b/c the necessary files are on a website that got shut down (megaupload). Does anyone have a suggestion for where I could turn? At this point, even if I mess it up it isn't a big deal as I have a backup phone, and I get an upgrade in the summertime.

Downwind

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem with mine. I was pulling the battery to get a restart daily. Drove me crazy. Finally I called Verizon and before I could open my mouth they offered me an early upgrade. I wasn't due for another 6 months. Sounded like they were getting a lot of complaints after the GB update. I got a GNex and haven't pulled the battery once. And now I know what a real GPS is. Even with GB the Fassy connected slowly. The GNex connects instantly.

firephoenix

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I rooted and flashed geewiz and now no more freeze or lockups. Gps locks almost instant and i am getting around 40 hours between charges with moderate use. I would recommend rooting and flashing a good rom and kernel.