What I hate about android!

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it's not Google's problem, but it is a problem inherent to Android. Google releases an update, then the OEMs have to adapt it for their devices, then the carriers have to test and approve it. As we know, that can take a while. For the most part, when Apple releases an update everyone can get it that day. I'd say it's a point to Apple unless you're using a Nexus device.

Posted via Android Central App

Read the following:

The carriers do the same testing on iOS devices. Apple just doesn't announce/release until it's near enough completion that they can stick to the date, barring something really really weird.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I think you're pretty close with this. Apple, I believe, has their own test facility on-site in Cupertino and tests each major US carrier there. Something is telling me I read that representatives from the carriers go to Cupertino to be involved in testing and approval. It's no secret that Verizon hates dealing with the iPhone and I'd say that's part of their issue. But they're stuck as long as they want to carry the iPhone. Right now Apple holds all the cards. That may change in the future but I, for one, hope it doesn't. In fact I hope all the OEMs get that power someday. The carriers have too much power as it is.

The only reason why I feel that Verizon finally accepted the iPhone is that they believed it was giving ATT competitive sales advantage. Not at first because ATT network was being hammered by the expansion due to the iPhone that it knocked its reputation down a couple notches but as time went by, people didn't care.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
So pretty much you're saying "I wish I could be stuck with this setup instead of being allowed to choose my own setup, including this one."

Some people don't care / have other priorities in life.

Almost completely because of the carriers. All their damned "testing and retesting", I mean you Verizon. Well that and the proprietary network files (Sprint and Verizon here). If they didn't interfere the OEMs would be able to push them out all at once.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

It's not just the carriers, but also the device manufactures.

I think you're pretty close with this. Apple, I believe, has their own test facility on-site in Cupertino and tests each major US carrier there. Something is telling me I read that representatives from the carriers go to Cupertino to be involved in testing and approval. It's no secret that Verizon hates dealing with the iPhone and I'd say that's part of their issue. But they're stuck as long as they want to carry the iPhone. Right now Apple holds all the cards. That may change in the future but I, for one, hope it doesn't. In fact I hope all the OEMs get that power someday. The carriers have too much power as it is.

Yes, they test in house, but Apple also doesn't allow crapware to be installed by the carriers either. AT&T needs to ensure that if you accidentally press the wrong icon, they are still able to bill you an extra $10 a month.

Unfortunately for Apple, iPhone doesn't have a 4.7? 1080 screen, dual front speakers, come without a home button, or have an easily unlocked boot loader...

With that I might add, thank you Android Revolution developers. I have a stable, crapware free, fully functioning (Zoe and Beats), 4.2.2 device.

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I hate are how updates work. If there is an update we should all get it at around the same time regardless of the phone. Everything else is golden.

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I kinda get what the op is saying on my old fun there was a bunch of custom roms and I would find myself switching Tom's everyday because I wasn't sattisfied

Sent from my Huawei u8650 using AC Forums mobile app

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Read the following:

I did and frankly I'd be quite surprised if Apple had ever delayed a release due to lack of carrier approval. I have no more inside information than most everyone else on this forum but I would think that Apple tells the carriers their release date and the carriers approve it by that date. Period. Being able to focus on only a few SKUs, if a carrier does have an issue, Apple would be able to address it more quickly than most other OEMs. Also I'm fairly sure that approving an Apple release gets a high priority at all carriers. If you think about it, the carriers don't really have a lot to test with the iPhone in comparison to other OSes. There's no carrier bloatware or software branding to deal with. Does the update work? Does it cause the iPhone to put unnecessary load on the network? If those pass what else major is there?

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
To many options!
I'm being serious here, there are so many ways to customize the phone, that I'm never happy with it! I love launchers, next launcher in particular, it gives my phone an awesome look, and is very functional for me! But then I start missing the stock setup, I love blinkfeed and I love the very subtle approach of sense 5! Also how buttery smooth it is!

Sometimes I wonder if I would be happier with an iPhone or windows phone!

Anyone else ever feel this way?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

That's like saying you hate freedom lol

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Read the following:

Almost completely because of the carriers. All their damned "testing and retesting", I mean you Verizon. Well that and the proprietary network files (Sprint and Verizon here). If they didn't interfere the OEMs would be able to push them out all at once.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

The carriers do the same testing on iOS devices. Apple just doesn't announce/release until it's near enough completion that they can stick to the date, barring something really really weird.

I did and frankly I'd be quite surprised if Apple had ever delayed a release due to lack of carrier approval. I have no more inside information than most everyone else on this forum but I would think that Apple tells the carriers their release date and the carriers approve it by that date. Period. Being able to focus on only a few SKUs, if a carrier does have an issue, Apple would be able to address it more quickly than most other OEMs. Also I'm fairly sure that approving an Apple release gets a high priority at all carriers. If you think about it, the carriers don't really have a lot to test with the iPhone in comparison to other OSes. There's no carrier bloatware or software branding to deal with. Does the update work? Does it cause the iPhone to put unnecessary load on the network? If those pass what else major is there?

Sorry about the multi quoting but I just realized this and I have to get this point across. As an IOS developer I have always been running Beta IOS software whenever it is available.
If Apple had to wait for carrier approval, then Apple constant beta system would not work. It hasn't passed through their certification yet. I am pretty sure the time release windows between betas are usually so tight (3-4 weeks), I dont see any of it going through carrier certification feasibly.

The day IOS 6 was beta 1 was release I was running it on my 4s. Right now I have IOS 7 on my iPhone 5.

IOS 6 had 6 updates all within 5 weeks of each other, with one of them only being 2 weeks between release.

Everything I have heard about Verizon would state if they had any recertification requirement, this would not even be the case.

Does Google or any of the OEMs release beta software so developers can run on their phones before the release time? My understanding that this is not the case.
In a weird way this system is more closed than Androids usual openness. And from my understanding, the platform developer kit given to OEMs focus on new phones not updating old ones.
So this is where Google may have some blame also.

Also think about cyanogenmod, they aren't looking at carrier certification. In fact, most of cyanogenmod issues involve items outside of problems the carrier. When you think about the other custom roms out there, it is the same thing. From what I recall on XDA, usually issues happen with sound, bluetooth, and other items, not a loss of wireless capability.

Now in learning about how Google operates I found out this great article on Android Central.
Why you'll never have the latest version of Android | Android Central

One other link, Sony made a blog post about the whole process after ICS was released. Explaining all the sets it has to go through also.
Ice Cream Sandwich

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about the multi quoting but I just realized this and I have to get this point across. As an IOS developer I have always been running Beta IOS software whenever it is available.
If Apple had to wait for carrier approval, then Apple constant beta system would not work. It hasn't passed through their certification yet. I am pretty sure the time release windows between betas are usually so tight (3-4 weeks), I dont see any of it going through carrier certification feasibly.

The day IOS 6 was beta 1 was release I was running it on my 4s. Right now I have IOS 7 on my iPhone 5.

IOS 6 had 6 updates all within 5 weeks of each other, with one of them only being 2 weeks between release.

Everything I have heard about Verizon would state if they had any recertification requirement, this would not even be the case.

Does Google or any of the OEMs release beta software so developers can run on their phones before the release time? My understanding that this is not the case.
In a weird way this system is more closed than Androids usual openness. And from my understanding, the platform developer kit given to OEMs focus on new phones not updating old ones.
So this is where Google may have some blame also.

Also think about cyanogenmod, they aren't looking at carrier certification. In fact, most of cyanogenmod issues involve items outside of problems the carrier. When you think about the other custom roms out there, it is the same thing. From what I recall on XDA, usually issues happen with sound, bluetooth, and other items, not a loss of wireless capability.

Now in learning about how Google operates I found out this great article on Android Central.
Why you'll never have the latest version of Android | Android Central

One other link, Sony made a blog post about the whole process after ICS was released. Explaining all the sets it has to go through also.
Ice Cream Sandwich

Are the releases served via OTA update in iOS beta, or through a sync to another machine method?

Riffbear

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I have just come across from iphone to android HTC one. Main reason for me was screen size. The iphone 5 is still too narrow and small for my eyesight.
The only let down with this phone or any android phone i tried is texting..
Iphone has that down better than any other device. I have downloaded an iphone keyboard but it just doesnt feel right..
Apart from that this phone is brilliant and yes there is allot of personal customisation with an android over the iphone.

Just wish they could get the texting "feel" like the iPhone as that is miles ahead.
And iMessage is brilliant....

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Are the releases served via OTA update in iOS beta, or through a sync to another machine method?

Both but, OTAs only started with Apple with IOS5. Before that, you could only do an update through iTunes. The reason being that before you had to install the whole operating system with each update, there was no deltas.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
To many options!
I'm being serious here, there are so many ways to customize the phone, that I'm never happy with it! I love launchers, next launcher in particular, it gives my phone an awesome look, and is very functional for me! But then I start missing the stock setup, I love blinkfeed and I love the very subtle approach of sense 5! Also how buttery smooth it is!

Sometimes I wonder if I would be happier with an iPhone or windows phone!

Anyone else ever feel this way?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

I know how you feel. On Android I'm always trying to tweak stuff or flash new ROMs hoping to get the perfect device that I will never achieve. Then I wind up buying the next hot Android and repeat. Because of all the choices I'll never be satisfied and I'll spend too much time trying to get it to be perfect. It sounds crazy but sometimes too many choice can be non-productive if the persons is like me and never content. I've found myself going back to iPhone on several occasions just to break the habit and stop wasting my time. Problem is sometimes I get bored because of the lack of choices and feel the need to go back. Android is my cure to iOS and iOS is my cure to Android LOL. I completely understand what you are saying. The thing is everyone doesn't need to be able to tweak each and every setting of their devices. I tried to get my wife on Android on several occasions and she just said "it's too many menus and too many settings for everything, I just want to turn it on and go". And a lot of people feel like that. Some people like to have that control and others don't care about it. I mean it wasn't that long ago that we were all using flip phones where the only thing we could customized was a ringtone. People act like we've had this liberty forever LOL. So for many it's great and they can become content but for others like myself, you can become obsessed with the idea of having the perfect device. It's like a drug and searching for a new high that you will never reach.

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Exactly I know people who have android devices who don't customize anything or even know you can customize there happy with their phone and it just works for them

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Also I think android needs to advertise more on TV y'all know that commercial about the mobile contracts where the lady gets locked in a jail cell android should do one like that about apple

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately for Apple, iPhone doesn't have a 4.7? 1080 screen, dual front speakers, come without a home button, or have an easily unlocked boot loader...
This is one reason why I went with the HTC One and not the iPhone. The iOS eco system is top notch but it does me no good if the iPhone doesn't meet my needs. Thank god for me there's the iPad mini.

The only thing I hate are how updates work. If there is an update we should all get it at around the same time regardless of the phone.
LOTS of fragmentation with android. It can be an issue for devs. Not so for iOS.

android_fragmentation_jun13.jpg

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
This is one reason why I went with the HTC One and not the iPhone. The iOS eco system is top notch but it does me no good if the iPhone doesn't meet my needs. Thank god for me there's the iPad mini.

Yep, I upgraded my iPad 1 with an iPad 4 late last year.

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
What I hate about Android is that it isn't offered in its pure form across the board on every phone. Customized OSes - Touchwiz, Sense, et al - shouldn't exist. If the customized OS disappeared, the Android ecosystem's fragmentation would be equal to that of iOS. Everyone would be happier if customized Android OSes were dropped.

Anyway. That's what I hate.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Really? 163ppi, A4 SoC, 512MB RAM? IMO the iPhone is better when compared to Android phones than the iPad Mini is when compared to Android tablets.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson