what made you go with the 8.4 vs the 10.5 screen?

jennagilmore

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I love the tab. Right now I'm using the 10.5 screen. I'm considering the 8.4 version due to portability. I occassional take the tablet out of the house, but most of the time it stays home. What made you decide on the smaller screen size? Any tips would be helpful.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Android is not a full computer for me, it simply does not have professional softwares i need, so it can't replace my windows pc, tablet, laptop.

therefore, large screen is not as important as portability. 8.4 is so compact, I can put it in my shorts loose pocket.

Posted via the Android Central App

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The 8 inch size range is just plain more comfortable to use and handle in general in my opinion. It gives me a better overall experience.

laguim971

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I totally agree, the home button place is better for landscape and portrait ! On the 10 " the home button seems to be only for landscape use !

Yk Chin

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I own the 8.4, same boat as most of you. Reason I got this is portability. I always carry it with me whenever I'm out of house or office. I use it to check my reports & emails on the go.

On my traveling, I use it extensively for entertainment such as book or comic reading, movie watching, etc. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Yk Chin

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
What made you decide on the smaller screen size? Any tips would be helpful.
1. (Super) Lightweight.
2. Portability.
3. Easier to hold in your hands.
4. Sufficient for your daily tasks: email, messaging apps, etc
5. Big enough for games & movies.
6. Price is cheaper than the 10".
7. I just love the super Amoled screen..it's simply gorgeous! :)

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Honestly if the 8.4 had a 32gb option I would of thought about getting it but with Samsung bloat I wanted 32gb so got the 10.5 at bestbuy

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

cr500taco

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat. looking into getting the tab S but can't decide between the 8.4 and the 10.1. It's for personal use and not for business, so I am not really concerned about the portability, because I think that I will only use it when traveling or out of town when not home. Being that the 8.4 is $100 cheaper makes it a little more appealing to me and not sure if the 10.1 is worth the extra money.

How does does the video viewing and web browsing compare on the 8.4 to the 10.1? Which is either to email on? Those are the only things I can see to where the 10.1 might be a little better.

Posted via Android Central App

Yk Chin

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
It's for personal use and not for business, so I am not really concerned about the portability, because I think that I will only use it when traveling or out of town when not home. How does does the video viewing and web browsing compare on the 8.4 to the 10.1? Which is either to email on? Those are the only things I can see to where the 10.1 might be a little better.

Since you're not concerned with portability, then go for 10.1, bigger screen size is always better for video viewing, email, etc.

Posted via Tab S 8.4

dynot

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
So glad I stumbled unto this thread as I'm having trouble deciding on size too. Was convinced on getting the 8.4 until I compared the two side by side and found the 10.5 not overly huge. Still can't decide though, lol.

My probable use pattern: use mostly at home, bring it with me when travelling (5 -8 times a year) so using it to view movies on the plane and browsing in the hotel room. Will be making use of the multi-screen feature (example, am currently watching the hockey game on my laptop and posting here all on the same screen). Do not plan on using a keyboard attachment. Like the ability to hold the 8.4 one-handed but will be buying the folio case anyway. So as you can see I have good reasons to buy either size.

Questions I have:
- Will the larger size screen be a problem on a seat-back tray in a plane?
- Will battery life be lower on the 10.5?
- Speaker placement is different on each size and I think some of the other buttons as well. Is one better than the other or is this a minor difference.
- My eyes ain't what they used to be: how legible are the fonts on the 8.4? Keep in mind that I will be making use of the multi-screen feature.

Bonus question not related to size: can you record video at 60 fps?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

tabs007

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Portability was key for me, so 8.4 for me, but a 32gb option would have definitely been preferred. Even with a 32GB micro SD, still not enough local storage due to Kit Kat limitations.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
The 8.4 with a Samsung book cover using the built in buttons on the device is the perfect take everywhere device. Thin and light. At breakfast now at our favorite place .

cr500taco

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
bought the 10.5, today, but finding it a little cumbersome to use in landscape and portrait view while laying down. i have a Blackberry Playbook which is 7" and it's easy to use in landscape while laying down. thinking of getting thd 8.4, to see which I like, better.

Posted via Android Central App