what messaging app do you use?

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hangouts from the moment it got sms. I'm transitioning all my contacts to my Google voice number, I can make and receive calls or messages on whatever device is nearby. It's not perfect but is improving.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Messages+ should not bog the phone down. I have used it the past year on my MAXX and it flies. On the Turbo, you should be more than fine. It is great because the texts sync with the Messages+ app on my Nexus 7. I use Moto Connect and the Chrome extension to text from my PC.

Been giving it another go and yes you're right. No slow down. Must have been something else, or my imagination. Haha.

Posted via the Android Central App

Naylor07

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Using the new Google Messenger, I like it much better than Hangouts. I previously used Textra, but couldn't reply from my Moto 360 with it so I switched to Hangouts. I find Hangouts slow, especially when finding a contact to send a new message to. Good Messenger is nice and simple so far.

I used to use HelloSMS too, I really liked it. Had to switch for the same reason above (Moto 360)

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Using the new Google Messenger, I like it much better than Hangouts. I previously used Textra, but couldn't reply from my Moto 360 with it so I switched to Hangouts. I find Hangouts slow, especially when finding a contact to send a new message to. Good Messenger is nice and simple so far.

I used to use HelloSMS too, I really liked it. Had to switch for the same reason above (Moto 360)

I've been using the new google messenger all day today myself and I absolutely love it. It is super lightweight and it flies. Does it work with the moto 360? Because I have 1 of those coming tomorrow.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'll say it. I'm using the VZW Messaging + app and I like it, ok. It works well and all my messages get restored when I change phones. I went to an iPhone for a month and when I came back to the Turbo, all my iPhone messages restored as well as any old messages and photos came back. I like it. Plus you can log in online and use it. i'm sold.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
OK, I'll say it. I'm using the VZW Messaging + app and I like it, ok. It works well and all my messages get restored when I change phones. I went to an iPhone for a month and when I came back to the Turbo, all my iPhone messages restored as well as any old messages and photos came back. I like it. Plus you can log in online and use it. i'm sold.
Surprised me too. Don't have to drag out reading glasses to read a text. 🙌

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hangouts from the moment it got sms. I'm transitioning all my contacts to my Google voice number, I can make and receive calls or messages on whatever device is nearby. It's not perfect but is improving.

Pretty much this for me as well. Since I've had my old phone number on GSM carriers for years and couldn't port it to verizon for some dumb reason, I ended up porting it to GVoice and have been extremely pleased ever since. texts and calls ring on 3 tablets and 2 phones around my house which is the future life I like to live.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Chomp. I'm surprised not one person in this thread is using it. Used to use Handcent. Apparently Chomp and Textra are made by the same people, but Chomp is a little more full featured.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much this for me as well. Since I've had my old phone number on GSM carriers for years and couldn't port it to verizon for some dumb reason, I ended up porting it to GVoice and have been extremely pleased ever since. texts and calls ring on 3 tablets and 2 phones around my house which is the future life I like to live.

Yeah, Hangouts isn't perfect but (unless they bail on it) it's being updated pretty regular.
There are other ways to get sms on PC, but the whole Google bit if you jump into it
isn't too bad these days for phone/messaging. It'd be a lot easier if everyone else
used it too. :)

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, Hangouts isn't perfect but (unless they bail on it) it's being updated pretty regular.
There are other ways to get sms on PC, but the whole Google bit if you jump into it
isn't too bad these days for phone/messaging. It'd be a lot easier if everyone else
used it too. :)

Perhaps as nice as it was when everyone was using BBM. I loved being able to see if they'd read my text or if they were typing.

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I use Chomp as well. Everyone seems to embrace the simple, featureless, minimalist apps but I kinda like the ability to customize it the way I want. I've tried almost all of them but Chomp seems to work best with my HTC M8. MMS back and forth to iPhones and having consistent notifications (popup or lock screen) seem to be the shortcoming of most of them.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps as nice as it was when everyone was using BBM. I loved being able to see if they'd read my text or if they were typing.

SMS really ruined things for me, everyone used to have Yahoo or ICQ or AIM, and I used to be able to run something like Trillian that integrated them all pretty well on my end. Then came SMS, then FaceBook Messenger, and it all fragmented to hell and back and I never know who uses what or when, and web based IM like ICQ and such seems to be on the way out.
Unless they use gmail/hangouts or, as much as I dislike it, FaceBook Messenger. Or Skype. Or the Apple stuff for those guys which I basically ignore.
Sometimes Standardization is a good thing.

ejtsang

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Not too long ago, I used 3 messenging apps! Hello SMS for SMS (duh!), Google Voice app (which is my primary way of sending text messages), and Hangouts for G Chat messages. However, I've since integrated all of these messaging routes into Hangouts and it's been great just having to use 1 app. I did love the UI for hello SMS.

EDIT: And I forgot another reason I like to use Hangouts is so that I can send/receive text messages through my desktop with the Hangouts chrome app or in gmail/hangouts. My office has poor cell/wifi signal, so I put my phone in airplane mode during the day. Nice to still be able to receive texts from the desktop.

Last edited:

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I've just come from three different HTC phones in a row and was a little disappointed in the lack of customization in the native Messaging app on the Turbo on comparison. I read a couple of positive reviews about the Verizon Messages +, and even though I normally avoid any Verizon app like the plague on principle, I thought I'd give it a try and am pleasantly surprised...highly customizable, I really like it!

Posted via the Turbo

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Tried hangouts for a few days but quarter of the time it would just sit on sending then come back with an error. Went back to vz app because it always goes through.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej