what messaging app do you use?

zackh123

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else have the following problem once in a while?

I use the new google messenger app. If....

I am texting on google messenger app (leave it open)
Turn the display off
I receive a text message
I swipe up to open that text message from the notification screen

The phone's display turns on to reveal the messenger app (that I left open) but then the messenger app reloads and pops up again.

This above is kind of annoying but sometimes (2-3 times since I got the phone on launch) when this happens the phone freezes in the process of launching the messenger app the 2nd time and reboots.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I thought the default Messaging app was pretty good, I tried the Verizon Message+ app, and it has a lot of cool features.

I even tried the new Google Messenger app, but I didn't care for it.

I have gone with 8sms which looks a lot like the stock messaging app. However 8sms is the only app that I have found that allows a text to be "read" on Android Wear. It also allows you to adjust multiple settings.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bamzilla

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have the following problem once in a while?

I use the new google messenger app. If....

I am texting on google messenger app (leave it open)
Turn the display off
I receive a text message
I swipe up to open that text message from the notification screen

The phone's display turns on to reveal the messenger app (that I left open) but then the messenger app reloads and pops up again.

This above is kind of annoying but sometimes (2-3 times since I got the phone on launch) when this happens the phone freezes in the process of launching the messenger app the 2nd time and reboots.

I haven't had it reboot but it is annoying to see. I kind of just know to swipe unlock down to stay in that conversation now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I thought the default Messaging app was pretty good, I tried the Verizon Message+ app, and it has a lot of cool features.

I even tried the new Google Messenger app, but I didn't care for it.

I have gone with 8sms which looks a lot like the stock messaging app. However 8sms is the only app that I have found that allows a text to be "read" on Android Wear. It also allows you to adjust multiple settings.

Thank you for this recommendation. I'll give it a go.

sashazur

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for this recommendation. I'll give it a go.

As my SMS app, I'm currently using Hangouts.

Before that, my favorites were Chomp and Textra (both from the same developer I think). Hello SMS is also nice because it's got a clean nice look.

The main reason I liked Chomp/Textra is because they had an option to show new messages in a popup that you can reply from, no matter what you are currently in.

The reason I switched to Hangouts is because it also shows my my voicemails since I use Google Voice for that, so now I don't need two separate apps for voicemail vs. texting.

I did try Verizon Messages+ and actually use it on my WiFi iPad and my Mac so that I never miss messages even when I don't have my phone with me - but I didn't like it on my phone, just because it looks ugly.

P.S. There are a couple of apps that add useful features on top of your existing SMS app - SMS Popup gives a quick reply popup on any new message, and MightyText lets you send and receive texts on any device's web browser (as long as your phone is online). Both will work alongside any SMS app that you have.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
As my SMS app, I'm currently using Hangouts.

Before that, my favorites were Chomp and Textra (both from the same developer I think). Hello SMS is also nice because it's got a clean nice look.

The main reason I liked Chomp/Textra is because they had an option to show new messages in a popup that you can reply from, no matter what you are currently in.

The reason I switched to Hangouts is because it also shows my my voicemails since I use Google Voice for that, so now I don't need two separate apps for voicemail vs. texting.

I did try Verizon Messages+ and actually use it on my WiFi iPad and my Mac so that I never miss messages even when I don't have my phone with me - but I didn't like it on my phone, just because it looks ugly.

P.S. There are a couple of apps that add useful features on top of your existing SMS app - SMS Popup gives a quick reply popup on any new message, and MightyText lets you send and receive texts on any device's web browser (as long as your phone is online). Both will work alongside any SMS app that you have.

Thanks for this. Didn't know about SMS pop up.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I think 8sms has that quick reply popup feature too

It does, both "regular" and for "wake and unlock" for non-secured lock screens, although I haven't tried the feature. I will today to see if/how I like it. Another SMS program had that feature, and I didn't like its implementation (personal preference of course).

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I use Textra and love it. Tons of themes and recently added a "schedule text feature". If you want to send someone a text right away but they are sleeping, just schedule a text to them at 9am (for example). If you have used Textra in the past and were not impressed in the looks department, check it out now. There was a recent material update and it now looks pretty sweet.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I use Textra and love it. Tons of themes and recently added a "schedule text feature". If you want to send someone a text right away but they are sleeping, just schedule a text to them at 9am (for example). If you have used Textra in the past and were not impressed in the looks department, check it out now. There was a recent material update and it now looks pretty sweet.
D@amn you guys, stop this! I didn't care that much for textra on my first try, but now you've got me considering going back to the well with material design update which may address my earlier complaints. Argh!
:-\

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Stock. I like the row of contacts you text most at the top. I'm able to set the background to a dark wallpaper. I get the pop ups and can reply as such in any app. Stock does everything i need. I actually downloaded chomp last night. I immediately noticed my frequent contacts weren't at the top. I went ahead and customized it and tried it out. I'm sticking with stock though. I don't think everyone realizes just how customizable stock is.

SGN4 :-D

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Stock. I like the row of contacts you text most at the top. I'm able to set the background to a dark wallpaper. I get the pop ups and can reply as such in any app. Stock does everything i need. I actually downloaded chomp last night. I immediately noticed my frequent contacts weren't at the top. I went ahead and customized it and tried it out. I'm sticking with stock though. I don't think everyone realizes just how customizable stock is.

SGN4 :-D

I think you're referring to Verizon's Messages + app that comes pre-installed. It's the red messaging app stock is the green messaging app with smiley face

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Samsung's default Messages app has the " scheduled text" feature, however Verizon blocks it. I work third shift so it is super useful for me.

Does Textra let you mark texts as "read" on Android Wear? That's the main appeal of 8sms for me.

Currently I use Text Later to send a scheduled text:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.iamcaptaincode.textLater&token=NdS7LkUE

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just tried it. Textra will mark texts as read, but I didnt like the look as well as 8sms.

Also, neither of these will display an unread count on the icon. I wish they did.

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I was using Verizon Messages+ because I liked the ability to see and respond to texts on my tablet. However, with both my S4 and the Turbo when trying to pick someone from my contacts it takes forever for the suggestion to appear. Now I am using Textra, but not completely sold.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe