what messaging app do you use?

Sven62

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Wow... only one other person for GoSMS? Been GoSMS Pro for a couple years. Many skins. Pop-up option with reply.

And no one has mentioned Mighty Text. Way better than Moto Connect. Has integration with FB and Gmail, also. And a web app.

So... SwiftKey, GoSMS Pro, Mighty Text. But with all the Textra fans I'll give it a look....

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Textra for me. Good looking ui, easy to navigate, and it's quick. I also use push bullet and have the extension installed in Chrome to allow me to reply to texts from my pc

Posted via the Android Central App

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Personally, the stock texting app has been working well for my purposes. I don't consider texting to be a main function that I utilize, but it does what I need it to do. I have taken a peak at Messenger and like the looks of that one.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I use to like messages+, but since getting the turbo it seems you go to start new message, pick a contact and all the contacts are doubled?! Got to frustrated. Went to the stock messaging (green) and all good to go. Can't figure messages+ out, why doubled? Phone/people apps, no duplicates. only messages+. So sticking with the stock messaging app.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think I replied "Textra" earlier on in this thread, but if not, "Textra."

It has customization (dark theme including black) and personalizations for idnividual contacts. It's nice to know who is texting by the tone that sounds.

Spurred partly by coincidence and partly by the comments here, I've been revisiting some apps I'd used previously (8sms, EvolveSMS, etc.) and trying some I hadn't (Google Messenger). I still find I can't let go of Textra. Any others I try fall short in some meaningful way for me.

The one thing I do wish Textra would change is the width of the text bubbles. I do like sent and received messages to be on opposite sides, but they can surely extend the text bubbles to 2/3 or even 3/4 of the screen width. Probably my only quibble, and it isn't a major one.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled Textra and went back to Google Messenger for one reason only: I have an app that watches for unread text messages and reminds me every 20 minutes until I read them. Textra break those apps - it doesn't use the phone's internal message store but instead does it on its own. It does have repeat notifications, but they are every 2 minutes, and there is nothing more annoying than hearing that tone every two minutes as I drive, waiting for a chance to stop...

Otherwise, it's a solid, great app with great added features over most other messaging apps, and free to boot.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled Textra and went back to Google Messenger for one reason only: I have an app that watches for unread text messages and reminds me every 20 minutes until I read them. Textra break those apps - it doesn't use the phone's internal message store but instead does it on its own. It does have repeat notifications, but they are every 2 minutes, and there is nothing more annoying than hearing that tone every two minutes as I drive, waiting for a chance to stop...

Otherwise, it's a solid, great app with great added features over most other messaging apps, and free to boot.
Which text reminder app are using?

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Google messenger, for some reason I like using all google apps when possible. I wish I could disable the stock Motorola one cause I dont like having it enabled and not used (aka can't wait for root!)

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Google Messenger and like it for the most part. Sometimes a message will have the 'message not sent, tap to try again' under it even though I usually get a reply to the message that supposedly wasn't sent. Weird....
I find it happens when I switch out of that conversation, or out of the app itself, before it has finished sending.
My 16yr old is all about Verizon's Message + app. I did use it and liked it. I'm pretty sure it had the option to take a pic and attach it to a SMS right inside the app before the Google Messenger app did.

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
My 16yr old is all about Verizon's Message + app. I did use it and liked it. I'm pretty sure it had the option to take a pic and attach it to a SMS right inside the app before the Google Messenger app did.

I was surprised at how much I liked the Messages+ app when I tried it out. I like the ability to customize notification tones especially, but the visual customizations are fun to tinker with, too.

The deal breaker for me was that you can't customize *Contacts* only Conversations. So, in order to save the customizations you've made for an individual, you would have to save at least one message from a prior Conversation.

I know for some folks this probably isn't a big deal as they don't clean up their messages, but I generally keep my inbox cleared of anything but active conversations. To have an inbox filled with dozens of Conversations just to save the personalizations was more than I can handle.

I'm not sure why they do it that way. I have given them feedback on this, FWIW.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised at how much I liked the Messages+ app when I tried it out. I like the ability to customize notification tones especially, but the visual customizations are fun to tinker with, too.

The deal breaker for me was that you can't customize *Contacts* only Conversations. So, in order to save the customizations you've made for an individual, you would have to save at least one message from a prior Conversation.

I know for some folks this probably isn't a big deal as they don't clean up their messages, but I generally keep my inbox cleared of anything but active conversations. To have an inbox filled with dozens of Conversations just to save the personalizations was more than I can handle.

I'm not sure why they do it that way. I have given them feedback on this, FWIW.

Same problem here. I use Chomp because I like all of the customizability with notifications etc. I just went and tried Google Messenger again, but I can't do that so I'm heading back to Chomp.

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I use Textra. Very fast, and small app size. Has just the right amount customization. I've never had any issues. I tried Google Messenger a couple of times, but always go back to Textra. What are advantages of Google Messenger over Textra? I can't seem to find any.