What problems are you experiencing with the Essential Phone

Norgoth

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, in Firefox it happens about once every 50 page loads and only on a refresh, never a new page. I've had it occasionally happen on other phones as well but it might be something with this phone. It's so rare that I wrote it off as Firefox misbehaving. I believe I've only seen it twice in five days.

I guess that puts me at 99% bug-free. lol
Yes, using Chrome, the text sometimes runs off the side

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Definitely worth a try. Mine has been flawless with touch. Only app bug I've found was in Textra but the phone itself has been fine. I use BlackBerry Hub for email and it's been great so far.

Ok. I did a reset and the touch problem has seemingly disappeared. I will report again if I notice it return.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
After the factor reset from Saturday night, I just saw one hangup when I woke up today morning where phone didn't respond to anything. Had to hard reboot to get out of that, but other than that running pretty smooth.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I walked into this skeptical, expecting to return it within the first week. Instead, it's looking more and more like a keeper. It'll still get flogged for the next two weeks looking for issues but I'm not expecting much to change.

Even the polished ceramic doesn't fingerprint anywhere near what was claimed. When it does, it wipes away with ease.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I walked into this skeptical, expecting to return it within the first week. Instead, it's looking more and more like a keeper. It'll still get flogged for the next two weeks looking for issues but I'm not expecting much to change.

Even the polished ceramic doesn't fingerprint anywhere near what was claimed. When it does, it wipes away with ease.

The ceramic back is also not slippery than the recent glass back surfaces we see with many phones. So, this is a welcoeme change. And not to mention that its also ergonomically great to hold.

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Post factory reset the phone is much better. The touch is not as responsive and perfect as my pixel XL but much much better. Now I need to get the phone to connect to att better and more reliably. Fingers crossed. Keeping this beauty no matter what but have to keep my pixel with me just to guarantee I can make a phone call.

Faded03cobra198p

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
mine has been pretty perfect till yesterday and i started having freeze ups and touch screen issues. reset twice and a fresh install. in the process of exchanging it.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I still cannot get mine working on Verizon. At all. Tried this morning. Then this afternoon. Will try again now.

Update: it's working a ok now.

Last edited:

OchoCILINDROS

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue with Youtube in fullscreen, the slider does not register touches correctly. I feel like this screen issue is only on the edges and the slider happens to be on the edge. I think they purposely made the edge less sensitive to avoid unwanted presses when holding the phone. Hopefully they correct this issue.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
YouTube full screen is buggy, like described here by others.

Edge touch sensitivity can be a little bit off at times.

Camera app is sloooooow.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I still cannot get mine working on Verizon. At all. Tried this morning. Then this afternoon. Will try again now.

Update: it's working a ok now.

I had to make my preferred network "Global" for it to play nicely with wifi and to work properly

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So using multiple screen view breaks the notification bar at the top and will remain the color of the app when you got back to home screen until you turn it off.

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Ok. Few days in. The phone is super duper sexy. But, how is it that my pixel xl with the old Snapdragon is faster than the essential with no lags. This phone lags too much. Fix this now essential! Now. Camera sucks compared to my pixel. FYI. And the Google camera app does not solve the problem.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I had to make my preferred network "Global" for it to play nicely with wifi and to work properly

Yeah me too. I am okay now.

The camera is sloooow. 4K video is really bad to actually start recording. Seriously, this phone feels 5 years old when it comes to the camera.

YouTube is definitely a problem to use.

Touch screen definitely has some wonkiness at the edges at times. It's odd.

The screen is downright dark compared to my iPhone.

Build quality is superb. It's the sexiest, coolest phone I have ever touched, but so what if it has some serious issues? This just feels rushed, like they knew they would lose out on sales once the iPhone 8 launched and so they had to get to market. At what cost?! Their reputation is taking a huge beating. Nobody who reviews phones on YT is keeping it. They all come right out and say it's inferior to the Note 8 or even the S8 (which is fragile as heck, but yup, has a terrific camera).

I am betting these phones are half off used by xmas.

Mine is going back. I hope they get it right next year. IF they survive.

For the record, I think the fingerprint sensor is more than adequate. It has never felt slow. The sound quality is great. Call quality is great. It charges very fast and the battery seems to last quite a long while. Scrolling around is nice and fast. Lack of bloatware is cool. I don't think any phone out or coming out will look and feel as awesome.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Yeah me too. I am okay now.

The camera is sloooow. 4K video is really bad to actually start recording. Seriously, this phone feels 5 years old when it comes to the camera.

YouTube is definitely a problem to use.

Touch screen definitely has some wonkiness at the edges at times. It's odd.

The screen is downright dark compared to my iPhone.

Build quality is superb. It's the sexiest, coolest phone I have ever touched, but so what if it has some serious issues? This just feels rushed, like they knew they would lose out on sales once the iPhone 8 launched and so they had to get to market. At what cost?! Their reputation is taking a huge beating. Nobody who reviews phones on YT is keeping it. They all come right out and say it's inferior to the Note 8 or even the S8 (which is fragile as heck, but yup, has a terrific camera).

I am betting these phones are half off used by xmas.

Mine is going back. I hope they get it right next year. IF they survive.

For the record, I think the fingerprint sensor is more than adequate. It has never felt slow. The sound quality is great. Call quality is great. It charges very fast and the battery seems to last quite a long while. Scrolling around is nice and fast. Lack of bloatware is cool. I don't think any phone out or coming out will look and feel as awesome.
Well, this phone clearly is not aimed for general consumers and No, it does not and will not compete with Note 8 or iPhone 8 or LG V30. They are not marketing that way and clearly they also don't have interest to do so.

It's targeted for folks who are eager to jump on a journey believing the company. As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, we are all beta testers for this product right now.

All the issues we have so far are related to software which means with adequate manpower, Essential can fix them.

Whether you want to be part of that journey is something you need to decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katcragon