What To Turn Off When Travelling ?

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm going on a cruise to the Caribbean . I really only want to check my email and texts every now and then and don't want to receive any calls. Last time I went away some of my apps started updating and it cost me a fortune. What should I turn on or off ?

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Turn of Mobile Networks for sure. If you are outside the US, i would think even texts would cost quite a bit. You'd have to use WiFi to check your e-mail if they have it.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm going on a cruise to the Caribbean . I really only want to check my email and texts every now and then and don't want to receive any calls. Last time I went away some of my apps started updating and it cost me a fortune. What should I turn on or off ?

Settings, Wireless & Networks, Mobile Networks, Data Roaming=Deny data roaming. Should already be the default. Also, as far as not wanting to receive any calls... Just don't answer them! :). I decide to answer depending on the call's importance to me.

Email on the ship's Wifi works fine, if you buy the package.

I do Caribbean cruises all the time. Works for me. Never had to change any default settings on the Thunderbolt.

18170d1322243579-what-turn-off-when-travelling-200x70images.jpg
<---Frank :D

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Great thanks guys. I called Verizon and of course she said nothing about Data Roaming just rattled off a bunch of prices that calls and data would cost. Do I need to do anything in the Accounts & sync section?

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I think I've also read the suggestion to put the phone into Airplane mode and then turn on wifi - if you're going to be using wifi.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My suggestion is put shut ur phone off completely. I went on a cruise last year and at first ibmissed my phone....but after a daybof leaving it my room....I didn't miss it. I used the ships internet package to check email.....believe your significant other will.appreciate it....trust me....your going.on.a vacation for a reason

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion is put shut ur phone off completely. I went on a cruise last year and at first ibmissed my phone....but after a daybof leaving it my room....I didn't miss it. I used the ships internet package to check email.....believe your significant other will.appreciate it....trust me....your going.on.a vacation for a reason

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Yea I leave it in my cabin and really just check my email every couple of days because I'm waiting to hear from a couple of my clients about work when I get back. I also check in with my kids to be sure they haven't burned the house down lol.

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Settings, Wireless & Networks, Mobile Networks, Data Roaming=Deny data roaming. Should already be the default. Also, as far as not wanting to receive any calls... Just don't answer them! :). I decide to answer depending on the call's importance to me.

Email on the ship's Wifi works fine, if you buy the package.

I do Caribbean cruises all the time. Works for me. Never had to change any default settings on the Thunderbolt.

Click to view quoted image
<---Frank :D

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

I'm sailing on the Oasis for the third time Frank. It is absolutely incredible and if you have the opportunity, take a trip on it or it's sister ship the Allure.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sailing on the Oasis for the third time Frank. It is absolutely incredible and if you have the opportunity, take a trip on it or it's sister ship the Allure.
Yep. I just got back from a cruise on the only ship bigger than the Oasis... The Allure! :D

Heading out again on the Dream with Carnival on Dec 3rd.

-Frank (Allure is bigger than the Oasis by 2 inches!)

Last edited:

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Yep. I just got back from a cruise on the only ship bigger than the Oasis... The Allure! :D

Heading out again on the Dream with Carnival on Dec 3rd.

-Frank (Allure is bigger than the Oasis by 2 inches!)

We were on the Allure only once hahahaha. Have fun, we get back the day you leave.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LordNikonX