What was your previous phone? Do you like the Nexus 5 more or less? Why?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: What was your previous phone? Do you like the N5 more or less? Why?

I don't mind the non-removable battery of the Nexus 5
It's not non-removable, and easier than you might think. There's a video on youtube and it only took a few minutes to do. You buy a "kit" with a pry tool, battery and small screwdriver, and I was surprised at how easy it was to do.

Anyway, I came from the Moto G (which I had for only 4 months), and before that I had a Samsung Infuse for 2 yrs. It's like night and day difference between the infuse and N5, but not so much of a difference between the moto g and the N5. The moto g actually did everything I needed and did it pretty fast, but something about the N5 was calling my name. I don't regret getting the N5 at all. SImply beautiful and fast!

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
But its cheap build really ruins the experience for me. I know it's a budget phone but it still kills the experience. I wish Google would make a premium nexus with better materials. The specs are fine and aren't super important.

The build matters more to me.
I don't agree with you. My red N5 is solid as a rock, and looks great. I get comments all the time on it in the short time I've had it. Buttons are just fine, USB port is solid. To me, specs are more important, but I don't understand how you can call it a "budget" phone. Who's budget? Most people I know would never even consider spending more than $150 on a phone. Just because it's "only" $349 for the 16gb model, doesn't make it a budget phone. It's still puts it WAY above what most people are willing to pay to buy a phone outright.

A budget phone to me is one of those $60 metro pcs 4" screen jobbers that still run android 2.3 with a single core cpu and 512 ram. The N5 is not a budget phone by any means. I guess we just have different definitions of what "budget" means.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
In the past couple of years I went from a Galaxy Nexus to a Samsung Note 2, which I dropped and destroyed, then an LG Optimus Pro, was getting tired of carrying around a big phone so I thought I would go back and try a Nexus 5 now that LTE is on it. I really like the phone but after owning 2 larger screen phones with bigger batteries it took me a few days to get use to the smaller screen, but now it's just fine. The only thing I didn't seem to be able to anticipate was the battery life, after having the Note 2 and the LG Pro I had gotten spoiled by never having to concern myself with paying attention to battery levels, I knew the Nexus 5 was going to be worst, just didn't realize how much worst it was going to be. Other than the battery life, I'm liking the N5.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A budget phone to me is one of those $60 metro pcs 4" screen jobbers that still run android 2.3 with a single core cpu and 512 ram. The N5 is not a budget phone by any means. I guess we just have different definitions of what "budget" means.

Normally when people refer to the N5 as a budget device they're talking off-contract price vs other flagships and some people are rather silly and try to say that it is a poor quality device based on that "budget" connotation. In reality, the Nexus device is a top echelon flagship just like the G2, S4, Moto X, HTC One, etc, etc were last year. The quality of its components are of the same caliber and it costs pretty much exactly the same amount to produce them. Now when DEADP1XEL talks about the build quality, there are many people who had issues with Nexus devices that did have loose buttons, etc and those are issues... but we also have to realize that all devices have those issues, including iPhones and Galaxy Notes, etc. As far as I know there is no statistical comparison of the rate of issues in the population, etc. and the forums are a horrible judgement tool for that sort of thing because we tend to center discussion around issues and we have an abnormally disproportionate Nexus:Galaxy:One:iPhone:Other population compared to the rest of the country and/or world.

My experience with each Nexus that I have owned has been that they are superbly put together devices and the fact that they are inexpensive and eschew the extra buttons, strange software design concepts and shoot for minimalism and functionality are great reasons for me to choose the Nexus line. I totally understand that not everyone appreciates the same qualities that I do in devices, but I agree that referring to any Nexus as a "budget" device is a major mistake. When referencing the subsidized nature of the Play Store price tag, it is misleading and when referencing the build quality, components and/or production costs, it is just not going to hold up. It rang all of the spec bells, has great design quality and has high praise for heft, feel, etc along with a lot of appreciation for the camera (not quite an S5 or G2 quality, but still up there as one of the heavyweights) and it has the best and most accurate screen available in mobile.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Moto X and Galaxy S3 before that. I have a tough time deciding between the X and the N5 to use for the day, and it beats the S3 no doubt.

From a SlimKat Tab 2....from who knows where

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Had an s4 octa before. The nexus 5 is way smoother than the s4 and also heats up lesser than the s4. The nexus has been a really great device up until a few days ago when it's lcd started flickering and double imaging. This problem had ruined the experience for me and I really appreciate samsung's quality control now.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Normally when people refer to the N5 as a budget device they're talking off-contract price vs other flagships and some people are rather silly and try to say that it is a poor quality device based on that "budget" connotation. In reality, the Nexus device is a top echelon flagship just like the G2, S4, Moto X, HTC One, etc, etc were last year. The quality of its components are of the same caliber and it costs pretty much exactly the same amount to produce them. Now when DEADP1XEL talks about the build quality, there are many people who had issues with Nexus devices that did have loose buttons, etc and those are issues... but we also have to realize that all devices have those issues, including iPhones and Galaxy Notes, etc. As far as I know there is no statistical comparison of the rate of issues in the population, etc. and the forums are a horrible judgement tool for that sort of thing because we tend to center discussion around issues and we have an abnormally disproportionate Nexus:Galaxy:One:iPhone:Other population compared to the rest of the country and/or world.

My experience with each Nexus that I have owned has been that they are superbly put together devices and the fact that they are inexpensive and eschew the extra buttons, strange software design concepts and shoot for minimalism and functionality are great reasons for me to choose the Nexus line. I totally understand that not everyone appreciates the same qualities that I do in devices, but I agree that referring to any Nexus as a "budget" device is a major mistake. When referencing the subsidized nature of the Play Store price tag, it is misleading and when referencing the build quality, components and/or production costs, it is just not going to hold up. It rang all of the spec bells, has great design quality and has high praise for heft, feel, etc along with a lot of appreciation for the camera (not quite an S5 or G2 quality, but still up there as one of the heavyweights) and it has the best and most accurate screen available in mobile.

Which are all many of the reasons that I'm going back to it from my GPE M8. While that's a great phone, there are numerous things about it that make it not worth the extra funds over the Nexus 5. The camera is considerably worse. The screen and build seem to be a little better, but nothing astronomical. The speakers are obviously better, but I barely watch or listen to anything other than YouTube on my phone, so they're kind of lost on me. Most other things are watched or listened to via Chromecast. So the M8 is going back and I'm getting a Nexus again. And I'll be buying a Nexus 7 with the money saved!

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Coming from an AT&T Note 2. I was tired of flashing AOSP roms on it and wanted something stock and stable. AOKP was defiantly the most stable rom for the note 2 tho. Lovin that nexus life!

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Well said. I guess for some people, only the most expensive will suffice.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5>Nexus 4>Galaxy Nexus>Galaxy 2 SR>iPhone 4>Droid Charge>Motorola Droid>iPhone 3G>Original iPhone>Nokia N90>Motorola MPX220>Some Nokia brick

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I came from a Moto X. I love the Nexus 5 but sometimes when I pick up my wife's X I miss the palmabilty of the X. It does feel so good in the hand :)

Even though I have a Nexus 5, I still keep my Moto X because it feels so great to hold it. I often wish there was a way to combine the two into a single super-phone. :)

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I still use Nexus 4 as main phone, started because phone gets knocked around at work, fits in pocket better, I prefer the look. LTE no big issue.
Should have waited for the 6 or the 4 to break thinking about it!

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Even though I have a Nexus 5, I still keep my Moto X because it feels so great to hold it. I often wish there was a way to combine the two into a single super-phone. :)

+1 That's exactly my thoughts also, if they can combine the best of the N5 and the Moto X that would be a great phone, not complaining about the N5 just my personal opinion, I really liked the X just have become to use to a bigger screen, the screen size on the X was the reason I picked the N5 over the X.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
+1 That's exactly my thoughts also, if they can combine the best of the N5 and the Moto X that would be a great phone, not complaining about the N5 just my personal opinion, I really liked the X just have become to use to a bigger screen, the screen size on the X was the reason I picked the N5 over the X.

I view the Moto X as a great phone that's very easy to hold in my hand. With the Nexus 5, I see it as a great "tablet" with a 4.95-inch screen.that happens to make phone calls. I would be interested to see Google release a phablet Nexus with a 5.5-inch screen, but I don't want them to abandon what we have with the Nexus 5 because I know a lot of people love the current size.

Stephan Hall

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I had studied and read everything I could .... for months before my purchase of the Nexus 5. I narrowed it down to three phones ....... The Moto X ( nice phone), the G2 Awesome) and the Nexus 5. I not here to convince everyone why any phone is the best. I like to "fiddle" with my phone. I love knowing that the future will provide me with the newest android updates. I use my phone ....like most others but I have a huge interest in the android sphere and it's a hobby too. The N5 is a solid phone. It's not the "best"! But it's a great phone for the "enthusiast"! It might not do everything the best ..... but, it does most everything "well"! I continue to feel .... that for $350.00 I got the most phone for the money! It's nice not reading about the newest android OS updates but experiencing them first! Battery life has been a non-issue for me. I get through a day with moderate to heavy use ..... although I don't play games or stream alot of videos. So it works for me.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I came from the S4 and I'm much happier with my nexus 5
I prefer stock android, multitasking button , immediate updates

atomics

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I had an HTC One XL. Got sick of sense really quick and the lack of updates was a disappointment. I really enjoy using the nexus 5 and am glad I got it. Might be overkill for my needs though. I think my next phone will be a Moto G equivalent. Less stress about breaking and babying the phone :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newuser93939