what's the easiest way to cancel a line still under contract and port my ##7-777-777# number out?

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
I want to port one of the lines on my family account to another carrier.
That line is still under 2-year contract.(20 months remaining)

Can I just go to that other carrier and have them port the number out?
If so, will Verizon just automatically close out that line and bill the $350
ETF and whatever monthly fee is due on that line for that month?
(which I'm happy to pay)

I don't want to call Verizon and simply say I want to cancel, because
I want to keep that phone number. It's a pretty good number with
seven 7's.... ##7-777-777#. It was originally my landline number
several years ago before I ported it to Verizon)

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Just call your new carrier and they will gladly initiate the port process out of Verizon. Which will automatically cancel your verizon account. You'll need you Verizon account info. (Account # and billing password) Don't call verizon to cancel your line(s) because you'll lose your number. Yes anything you owe will be due in your final bill from Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In this situation , since the OP has a family plan, porting out a line won't cancel the account, but rather just disconnect that specific line

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
In this situation , since the OP has a family plan, porting out a line won't cancel the account, but rather just disconnect that specific line

last night, I ported it out to Google Voice because I couldn't decide which carrier to take it to.

within 11 minutes, Verizon disconnected the line. (completely disappeared from my account when I logged in)

this morning, my account shows a $350 early termination fee... boy that was quick. :)

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
last night, I ported it out to Google Voice because I couldn't decide which carrier to take it to.

within 11 minutes, Verizon disconnected the line. (completely disappeared from my account when I logged in)

this morning, my account shows a $350 early termination fee... boy that was quick. :)
OTOH, porting from a landline to cellular takes days. Where "landline" includes services like Comcast Voice. Been there, done that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord