When will N7 (2013) LTE get Lollipop?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Depends on which country you're in and whether you bought your N7 via a carrier. In some countries there are 'retail' versions that shouldn't depend on when carriers are ready. At the moment we're still waiting for Google to release factory images for both the 2013 and 3012 mobile versions.

I would have to disagree with you there. The retail version still has to connect to a carrier's network to function. And carriers aren't going to let any devices connect to their network unless they approve the update. But whether you buy from Asus, the Playstore, or through the carrier, the hardware and update is going to be the same.

Baazaa

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
vzwuser76: Who are you to decree that LTE is only for data? Or that it is only to be used when there is no wifi network? You obviously do not understand that when LTE is not available the device defaults to 4G or 3G, so your argument about LTE only being available (to you where you are?) for the last 6 months is ridiculous. I previously had a cheap but very good ZTE provided through my telco and used it constantly with motorola bluetooth headset-- I could walk around the office and leave the tablet on my desk, listening to internet radio or taking telephone calls; or go on a trip using the tablet as a hub for my notebook, and receiving forwarded calls from home, the office, or my cellphone left at home. Having only one device for phonecalls is my preference, regardless of your one-eyed views. There has been much discussion on forums about Googles failure to include a phone in this device, with suggestions it is a tacit conspiracy with telcos to force customers to have more than one simcard connected-- indeed some telcos deliberately disabled phone connections from tablets. Now please go and stick your big head back up Googles exhaust.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
vzwuser76: Who are you to decree that LTE is only for data? Or that it is only to be used when there is no wifi network? You obviously do not understand that when LTE is not available the device defaults to 4G or 3G, so your argument about LTE only being available (to you where you are?) for the last 6 months is ridiculous. I previously had a cheap but very good ZTE provided through my telco and used it constantly with motorola bluetooth headset-- I could walk around the office and leave the tablet on my desk, listening to internet radio or taking telephone calls; or go on a trip using the tablet as a hub for my notebook, and receiving forwarded calls from home, the office, or my cellphone left at home. Having only one device for phonecalls is my preference, regardless of your one-eyed views. There has been much discussion on forums about Googles failure to include a phone in this device, with suggestions it is a tacit conspiracy with telcos to force customers to have more than one simcard connected-- indeed some telcos deliberately disabled phone connections from tablets. Now please go and stick your big head back up Googles exhaust.

LTE has been around since 2011, for data. Voice over LTE, or VoLTE, has only started becoming available for devices in the last six months. That's the difference. Don't believe me, look up the term Voice over LTE or VoLTE. Verizon is the first in the US to deploy it, under their term Advance Calling 1.0. One of the guys I went to school for telecommunications with is on the team upgrading the towers. Before lashing out about people being fanboys, maybe make sure that what you think you know is actually correct. But if you're so certain that Google intended for the Nexus 7 LTE to handle phone calls, please show where that was stated.

And those aren't my one-eyed views. There are some tablets that let you make/take calls on them, so far only 3G or HSPA models as no one has come out with a tablet that handles VoLTE. The fact of the matter is, this device was never intended for voice calling over LTE. Devices that can handle VoLTE have different cellular radios. Earlier LTE handsets won't even be able to make call over LTE, because they don't have the hardware to support it. They routed their voice calls over 3G and 1x, and their data over 3G and LTE. Only some of the phones manufactured since 2014 have the hardware to handle VoLTE.

Last edited:

Baazaa

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Vzwuser76: Please read and comprehend messages before dashing-off responses. Where did I ever say that “Google intended for the Nexus 7 LTE to handle phone calls” – I actually said the opposite, that it should have been there in the first place, ie: they neglected to provide it. I later clarified that Google may have tacitly conspired with telcos to force consumers to have 2 paid SIM connections. And, I repeat: just because the phone model is LTE doesn’t mean it is limited to LTE for data or phone services. By-the-way, don’t assume that everyone lives in USA—where I live the HSPA closed down 3 years ago to allow the bandwidth to be used for 4G/LTE, which still co-exists with 3G.

Baazaa

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Getting back to the topic of this thread, the image for 5.0.2 for Nexus 7 2013 (Mobile) is now available at developers.google.com/android/nexus/images, although it may be best to wait for the on-line roll-out if you are not confident about doing a manual install.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Vzwuser76: Please read and comprehend messages before dashing-off responses. Where did I ever say that “Google intended for the Nexus 7 LTE to handle phone calls” – I actually said the opposite, that it should have been there in the first place, ie: they neglected to provide it. I later clarified that Google may have tacitly conspired with telcos to force consumers to have 2 paid SIM connections. And, I repeat: just because the phone model is LTE doesn’t mean it is limited to LTE for data or phone services. By-the-way, don’t assume that everyone lives in USA—where I live the HSPA closed down 3 years ago to allow the bandwidth to be used for 4G/LTE, which still co-exists with 3G.

You're complaining about me dashing off answers, and what you're saying is you assumed that it had voice capability, didn't do any research to see if it in fact had it, and are now mad about it and blame Google because you didn't check before buying. They didn't conspire with anyone to not have voice on it, most non LTE tablets don't have this capability, and only one LTE tablet I've found does. In my research the only one I could find is the Galaxy Note 10.1LTE, and that only supports VoLTE in Korea. That's the only VoLTE tablet I could find, and that came out in 2012. So apparently the demand isn't that big for that feature.

My point is, you're blaming Google for not including it, why aren't you as mad at every other manufacturer who also makes an LTE tablet that doesn't support VoLTE. My advice to you would be if you really need that feature, sell your Nexus 7 LTE and pick up a Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE model. That's assuming you live in Korea which is apparently the only VoLTE bands it support. But from the research I've done, that appears to be your only option.

And I was giving you the benefit of the doubt when I said you thought they intended to have VoLTE on the Nexus 7. If you knew it didn't have that feature, why buy it and then complain about it not having that feature?

Last edited:

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Getting back to the topic of this thread, the image for 5.0.2 for Nexus 7 2013 (Mobile) is now available at developers.google.com/android/nexus/images, although it may be best to wait for the on-line roll-out if you are not confident about doing a manual install.

I caved and loaded it onto my Nexus 7 LTE (Verizon) last night. First time unlocking a device. I had a few hiccups, but mainly due to not understanding terminal on OSX. Figured it out and its working fine on my N7 (Cant seem to get Super Hexagon to play though.)

However, I'm not really that impressed. Just seems more visual than functional.

Posted via the Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the delay is because they are now installing a phone, which should have been there in the first place! Like many others, I was "tricked" by the LTE tag into believing it had one when I bought it. That was the last time I will buy anything branded Google or Nexus.

All tablets are the same way (if you want both, you need a "phablet", which is going to be smaller). Google didn't trick you - you made an assumption and then found out it was wrong. LTE is the same thing as 4G, and it's a data only connection. There has been nothing about it that indicates voice service. Only recently have they started implementing VoLTE. You would've had the same issue/experience with a Samsung, Asus, Apple, or any other brand LTE tablet, or on any other cell service provider.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
All tablets are the same way (if you want both, you need a "phablet", which is going to be smaller). Google didn't trick you - you made an assumption and then found out it was wrong. LTE is the same thing as 4G, and it's a data only connection. There has been nothing about it that indicates voice service. Only recently have they started implementing VoLTE. You would've had the same issue/experience with a Samsung, Asus, Apple, or any other brand LTE tablet, or on any other cell service provider.

I mentioned before, there is one table that handles VoLTE, the Galaxy Note 10.1, but that apparently only supports bands in South Korea which is their home base. Many OEMs save their best products for their home countries.

jfd3

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Just got the Ota download for my Verizon nexus 7 lte

Posted via the Android Central App

I got my ota link while at work. But by the time I got home to install it the link was gone. Does anyone know how to get the link back?

Posted via Android Central App

Jyscal

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Got my OTA last night. Installed and liking it so far. Working alot better than 4.4.4 did.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Tatooine_Star

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 7 2013 32 GB LTE just received the Android v5.0.2 OTA update notification, but I haven't had chance to install it yet. Very surprised to see it arrive so quickly here in the UK, over the EE network.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I got my ota link while at work. But by the time I got home to install it the link was gone. Does anyone know how to get the link back?

Posted via Android Central App

Settings > About Tablet > System Updates > Software Update

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali