Whitestone Dome another failure

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Finally received the Whitestone dome yesterday and installed one this morning. Everything looked perfect until I looked at it under LED lighting. I have a huge shadow on the right side and a strip down the middle. Only noticeable on dark or light screens. Had this same problem with the WSD for the Note 20 ultra. I could just live with it, but it's going to drive me crazy.

Anyone else see anything like this?

Here is a pic under LED lighting.

shadow.jpg

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Finally received the Whitestone dome yesterday and installed one this morning. Everything looked perfect until I looked at it under LED lighting. I have a huge shadow on the left side and a strip down the middle. Only noticeable on dark or light screens. Had this same problem with the WSD for the Note 20 ultra. I could just live with it, but it's going to drive me crazy.

Anyone else see anything like this?

Here is a pic under LED lighting.

View attachment 342819
When i do my install , i do 3 times 15 seconds then 3 times 60 and let it set for 12 hours no touching , i believe the glue with the 3 times sets up for the protector to stick but not fully cure until 12 hours later , i think that's the best method and have done for years now.

I work with other glues and epoxys in my business and nd set glue is first 10 minutes then 24 hrs to fully cure and i apply that to white stone glue

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
When i do my install , i do 3 times 15 seconds then 3 times 60 and let it set for 12 hours no touching , i believe the glue with the 3 times sets up for the protector to stick but not fully cure until 12 hours later , i think that's the best method and have done for years now.

I work with other glues and expoys in my business and nd set glue is first 10 minutes then 24 hrs to fully cure and i apply that to white stone glue

Should I peel this off and try again?
Had this same problem in the past on the Note 20 Ultra and the second one did the same thing.

God, I hate these protectors. Wonder if the AmFilm one is any better?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Had this same problem in the past on the Note 20 Ultra and the second one did the same thing.

If it bothers you then yes , i would personally wait that way to have a back up, i never tried their films .

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site

I installed the AM glass protector on my S22U. Very similar process to the WSD. I have no issues, lines, etc.

Used it on my S21U as well. Very satisfied if you explore that route in the future.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok keep us posted

Round 2 = PERFECT !

I honestly believe that work light I was using overhead was curing the glue as it was spreading. This time I did not use that work light and everything looks perfect.

I did 3 X 15 and only 2 X 60 - Maybe I should do another 60 and let it sit overnight before messing with it.

pags11

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site

I work with other glues and epoxys in my business and nd set glue is first 10 minutes then 24 hrs to fully cure and i apply that to white stone glue

I agree with this analysis. When I did my S22 Ultra Whitestone Dome install I put my Speck Presidio 2 Grip case on it and there was this little part of glue that got on the case, that I haven't been able to get off.

When possible it is best to not put a case on the phone for 12 or so hours. Typically I do the installation in the evening and let the phone sit overnight before putting the case on. Didn't do that this time. Lesson learned.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Round 2 = PERFECT !

I honestly believe that work light I was using overhead was curing the glue as it was spreading. This time I did not use that work light and everything looks perfect.

I did 3 X 15 and only 2 X 60 - Maybe I should do another 60 and let it sit overnight before messing with it.
Let it cure fully overnight

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree with this analysis. When I did my S22 Ultra Whitestone Dome install I put my Speck Presidio 2 Grip case on it and there was this little part of glue that got on the case, that I haven't been able to get off.

When possible it is best to not put a case on the phone for 12 or so hours. Typically I do the installation in the evening and let the phone sit overnight before putting the case on. Didn't do that this time. Lesson learned.
Definitely

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I got it on my first try and never installed a whitestone on previous phones. I watched a few videos before the install. As soon as I was done I slapped the case on it and started using my phone as normal. Don't think letting it sit for 12 hours for curing is actually needed. It's a thin layer of adhesive not a two-stage paint job on a car.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I was using an Ott Lite overhead light just so I could see what I was doing.
I'm pretty sure this light was curing my glue while it was spreading, and I didn't have a clue. It might have some sort of UV properties to it.

ottlite.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord