Whitestone Dome another failure

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
So it sounds like what I'm hearing is the WSD discombobulates or, at least, molests the fingerprint reader's performance. It looks great when done correctly but at the cost of fingerprint reader performance. Perhaps I'll cancel my order or (if too late) send it and the wanna-be knock-off pictured above back. This Zagg cover doesn't seem to inhibit the for at all.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I got the haze on one side also and my FPS mostly stopped working after a few hours unless I wet my thumb. I ripped it off after a couple days because I just can't deal with that. I don't think I'm going to even try again with the second one. It's been three phones with the WSD and they have always behaved the same.

Your choice, but I urge you to try again. You've already paid for the protectors so why not try the 2nd one?

My first install went well, but the fps was barely working. It didn't even work well enough to re register my prints. I took it off, waited a couple days, then tried again.

I re registered my prints, made sure increased touch sensitivity was on (I unchecked this option BEFORE the 2nd install) and now it's working great.

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
Your choice, but I urge you to try again. You've already paid for the protectors so why not try the 2nd one?

My first install went well, but the fps was barely working. It didn't even work well enough to re register my prints. I took it off, waited a couple days, then tried again.

I re registered my prints, made sure increased touch sensitivity was on (I unchecked this option BEFORE the 2nd install) and now it's working great.

eh, maybe. I've just tried them so many times..<sigh>

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
For you WSD users over the years, would it have taken the beating and cracked while saving the phone's screen? Curious, never used a WSD, not have a curved screen on my 4XL; but planning ahead since I do have a S22U on order....

Logic says it would; Murphy "says not really."

LightningGA

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have cracked over a dozen WSD screen protectors on the curved edge and it has protected the actual screen everytime. WSD has warranty replacements for $10 shipped so I just replace it each time.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Nice to know.

And I will add that the circumstances of the break are probably rare. It was perfect to cause a break. A narrow piece of wood (desk) a small are of the screen equals high psi to that one area. I'm going to guess if the phone dropped flat; nothing would have happened. Not that I want to try it.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
On my Note 20 U, less than a week of having the phone, I accidentally slammed the screen against my night stand flat and it cracked the Whitestone and left no damage to the screen. Now, the screen probably wouldn't have broke I think but I guess it did it's job by taking the impact.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
On my Note 20 U, less than a week of having the phone, I accidentally slammed the screen against my night stand flat and it cracked the Whitestone and left no damage to the screen. Now, the screen probably wouldn't have broke I think but I guess it did it's job by taking the impact.
Ive had white stone save few screens on couple Samsung and will continue buying from them unless something happens.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
My second install which I thought was perfect has a tiny speck under the glass. Very hard to notice unless you are really looking hard for it.

Any chance this speck will scratch the actual screen of my phone if I just live with it?

Here's a pic:

WSDspot.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My second install which I thought was perfect has a tiny speck under the glass. Very hard to notice unless you are really looking hard for it.

Any chance this speck will scratch the actual screen of my phone if I just live with it?

Here's a pic:

View attachment 342966
Like lint or something soft ? Should be ok , i use the stickers right before the glue is layed down to remove those things

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
if your hands are bone dry, fuhgeddaboudit :-\

I know. I have found that is the problem for me. If my thumb is moist, its perfect every time. But who wants to lick their thumb each time you use your phone. I just rely on the face rec. and for Gpay or bank stuff where the FP is required, well......

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So it sounds like what I'm hearing is the WSD discombobulates or, at least, molests the fingerprint reader's performance. It looks great when done correctly but at the cost of fingerprint reader performance. Perhaps I'll cancel my order or (if too late) send it and the wanna-be knock-off pictured above back. This Zagg cover doesn't seem to inhibit the for at all.
I never had a problem with FPS on my other Samsungs with WSD. I have not installed mine yet on the S22 U

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Seems this has helped some. I still have it on occasion where it just refuses to pick up my finger especially in the dark.

I don't see any difference with touch sensitivity on vs off, either with fingerprint or screen touch in general. Lighting high or low is no different. My S22 with the WSD is perfect to touch, swipe, etc. either way, it is only the fingerprint reader that is finicky. At this point I don't believe putting on the WSD adversely impacted either screen touch or fingerprint. The fingerprint sensor reliability was sketchy sometimes before WSD also. The only thing that impacts is moistening the finger a bit. Then fingerprint recognition is perfect first time every time with just a light touch. Otherwise with dry fingers, I get often get the messages: "Cover the entire" reader or "Press Harder".

I was thinking that maybe when I input the fingerprints, my hands were more moist so when they were dry later the ID would not work. So I redid the fingerprints making sure that fingers were bone dry for input and still the same. For me, I think it is an issue with the fingerprint sensor itself, not the WSD.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigD