Who is ditching the thunderbolt and who's keeping it?

ddonahueiup

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Was trying to make it last as long as possible but it died ad in turned off and never turned on again, I'm not up for upgrade until February so I had to buy the lucid 2. I'm happy with the phone but not happy about the money I had to spend

Sent from my VS870 4G using AC Forums mobile app

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I was still daily using my HTC Thunderbolt as of last Saturday. It was a good phone with Gingerbread, but Ice Cream Sandwich ruined it. It became slow and laggy. Battery life has always been an issue. Needed to swap batteries at least once a day near the end.

I purchased an LG G2 mainly for the great battery life. It's been a very good experience so far.

I considered getting an HTC One, but liked several things in the LG G2 a little more.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I was still daily using my HTC Thunderbolt as of last Saturday. It was a good phone with Gingerbread, but Ice Cream Sandwich ruined it. It became slow and laggy. Battery life has always been an issue.

That's one reason I went for the Droid Maxx. The other was the reputation for Motorola radios, which I see first hand is well-deserved. Places where my TB would drop to 3G I maintain 4G with the XT1080M. Places where I would lose signal or drop to 1X are 3G or 4G. Also, with Motorola now owned by Google, the lack of Motoblur is a good thing. I still have my TB, and use it for the FM radio and for WiFi connections. I will probably order a SIM card adapter set so I can use the TB in case my Maxx gets hurt or lost.

I miss some of the HTC Widgets, but not much else.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Note 3 a few weeks ago. Its like an entirely different world. My T-Bolt served me well for 21 months but it was well past time to get a new phone. This Note 3 is incredible in every way and it made me realize how badly I needed to upgrade.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Note 3 a few weeks ago. Its like an entirely different world. My T-Bolt served me well for 21 months but it was well past time to get a new phone. This Note 3 is incredible in every way and it made me realize how badly I needed to upgrade.

Similar sentiment here when I got the Note 2 about a year ago. It was such a night and day difference. While I enjoyed the Thunderbolt, it worked well for me for the most part, I didn't realize how much hand holding it often needed to stay running well until I got the Note 2 which "just works", no hand holding needed. :) Anyway, congrats on the Note 3, enjoy! The Note series are awesome with the S-Pen, its immense software options and their large screens! :D

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Similar sentiment here when I got the Note 2 about a year ago. It was such a night and day difference. While I enjoyed the Thunderbolt, it worked well for me for the most part, I didn't realize how much hand holding it often needed to stay running well until I got the Note 2 which "just works", no hand holding needed. :) Anyway, congrats on the Note 3, enjoy! The Note series are awesome with the S-Pen, its immense software options and their large screens! :D

It's really a whole new world. Over the past few years I've gone from Eris to T-bolt to Note 3. Every jump was huge. My wife still has her T-bolt. I'm getting her either an S4 or HTC One for Xmas.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My TB kinda went crazy during the summer and I decided it was finally time to lay it to rest. It definitely improved after ICS, but after a while everything went downhill. This thing kept cycling through problems like SMS not sending; not sending MMS; not getting messages; still random data drops; dying EXTREMELY fast, like it would die in six hours of me not using it, and an hour and a half when I do. And I'm the guy who could actually make his last for almost three days with the standard battery. :p It would die so fast that it would actually lose battery while charging. Yes, it would die faster than it charged. Or it would just not charge at all and stay the same. But it would do all of this off and on, and it would switch one problem with another like every week.

I took mine in with my insurance and got a Spectrum 2. It's not super amazing or anything, but it's a real good mid-range phone, and definitely a major step-up from the TB. My upgrade is in March, and I'm not sure if I will stay with Verizon. Regardless though, I'm probably going to get whatever HTC comes out with as the successor to the One. I loved the DNA; I loved the One; I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like whatever they come up with next, even if it turns out to be a spec bump instead of something else radical. If for some reason HTC doesn't blow me out of the park, or Verizon takes forever to get the phone out again, I'd consider the Moto X. By that time it'd be a little old though, and since it came out pretty late compared to the One and the S4, I have no clue when they'd make a successor for it, but I doubt I'd be disappointed.

critical_level2

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt has so far been not been problematic at all. A few freezes and such, but that was also when I had it rooted and the Rom i had loaded ended up taking a dump. I can say it has been a very reliable phone so far. It is now starting to show its age and the upgrade bug is biting. I am looking into getting a Moto X to replace it. I like the simplicity of the Moto X and the fact it is not much bigger than the Thunderbolt. I have become so used to the comfortable size of my Thunderbolt, the other phones just seem uncomfortably big. I will still keep my Thunderbolt around as a spare.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I am looking into getting a Moto X to replace it. I like the simplicity of the Moto X and the fact it is not much bigger than the Thunderbolt. I have become so used to the comfortable size of my Thunderbolt, the other phones just seem uncomfortably big.

I thought my wife would prefer the Moto X or the Droid Mini as being closer in size to her 3G Incredible 2. She picked the MAXX - which I had already decided on to replace my TB. The MAXX is just a little wider, abut an inch taller, but thinner than the TB, and is lighter than the TB with the extended battery.

rporterfield

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My thunderbolt has been a reliable phone except for battery life. With the cyber-Monday deal I am getting the Moto-X to keep my unlimited data plan. I really wanted the HTC One, but between the cost and battery life with a non-replaceable battery, I just couldn't do it.