Who's getting the new Pixel Fold?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... Went back and checked the fine print on that $200 credit, and it says "Google Store credit expires on October 12, 2023 at 11:59pm PT." The 7th generation is the only one that was released earlier than that in October, so we can only hope that the 8th gen is up for preorder before that date.

But when I go to my Google account and check the detail on my store credit, it says "Next expiration 4/27/24" - with that date corresponding to the 1 year anniversary of a credit granted a few weeks back for an issue I had with an accessory order.

That has me wondering if that credit expiration was removed...? Does yours show an expiration in your google store account?
Yea I forgot about the 7Pro coming out slightly earlier than normal. I just checked my account and it says 11/Oct/2023 for the expire date on that credit. I guess if the 8pro doesn't come out by then, I'll use it on the tablet. By that time it might be discounted some.

Reactions: Jeremy8000

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ugh... between the Galaxy Z Fold 4 and the Pixel Fold, if I had $1800 in discretionary funds, I'd take the Pixel Fold without hesitation for so many reasons despite the latter being a '1st gen' product. But with the Z Fold 4 selling for as little as $1350 without activation, or even less with bloated trade-in values, it's tough to justify the 33% higher effective price.

Smart tactic by Samsung. They know that while their brand recognition and retention will provide a lot of defense, this is the first US foldable competitor and it gets a lot of things done better in a way consumers will care about (since most consumers don't really care about intangible specs). And they know Google won't do any real discounting for quite a while.

If Google really wanted to take the battle to Samsung (which they do and don't, I'm sure), they'd offer a massive trade-in specifically for owners of Samsung foldables.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ugh... between the Galaxy Z Fold 4 and the Pixel Fold, if I had $1800 in discretionary funds, I'd take the Pixel Fold without hesitation for so many reasons despite the latter being a '1st gen' product. But with the Z Fold 4 selling for as little as $1350 without activation, or even less with bloated trade-in values, it's tough to justify the 33% higher effective price.

Smart tactic by Samsung. They know that while their brand recognition and retention will provide a lot of defense, this is the first US foldable competitor and it gets a lot of things done better in a way consumers will care about (since most consumers don't really care about intangible specs). And they know Google won't do any real discounting for quite a while.

If Google really wanted to take the battle to Samsung (which they do and don't, I'm sure), they'd offer a massive trade-in specifically for owners of Samsung foldables.
900.00 trade-in for my Fold⁴ not bad but i think your right Google doesn't care at this point about sells as its not launching worldwide as far as i know. I still might go for it despite not liking the Tensor chip yet , we see .

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
900.00 trade-in for my Fold⁴ not bad but i think your right Google doesn't care at this point about sells as its not launching worldwide as far as i know. I still might go for it despite not liking the Tensor chip yet , we see .
I have yet to find anything that my Pixel 7 Pro hasn't been able to handle without the hint of a hiccup, though I don't run as many intensive games as I used to - and to be honest, that was pretty much the same with the original Tensor in the Pixel 6 Pro.

Other devices may benchmark better, but those tests are considering boundaries far beyond what the vast, vast majority of users would ever actually need, so I've taken to looking at benchmarks much like I look at the top potential speeds of a car - whether a car tops out at 120mph or 150mph is irrelevant if I'll never go about 85mph and the ride there is sublime. YMMV.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have yet to find anything that my Pixel 7 Pro hasn't been able to handle without the hint of a hiccup, though I don't run as many intensive games as I used to - and to be honest, that was pretty much the same with the original Tensor in the Pixel 6 Pro.

Other devices may benchmark better, but those tests are considering boundaries far beyond what the vast, vast majority of users would ever actually need, so I've taken to looking at benchmarks much like I look at the top potential speeds of a car - whether a car tops out at 120mph or 150mph is irrelevant if I'll never go about 85mph and the ride there is sublime. YMMV.
That's not the reason for why I don't like the tensor 2 chip , it runs warm in lot of situations with light task . I never liked the latest generations Exynoss .

Reactions: Laura Knotek

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
With my P7pro battery life experience (also with larger battery and single screen compared to Pixel Fold), I will wait for Pixel Fold 2 as it may come with Tensor G3 (may be generation better).

richxps

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I changed my mind. I cancelled my preorder. I will wait for the reviews and then make up my mind. I am not sure about the grease and mainly the durability of the device.
I think it's better for me to just buy a Pixel 7 Pro and use it together with my S23 Ultra.
I am of course intrigued by the fold concept, but the device is just too expensive for me to experiment. Also, the first impressions of most YouTubers were concerning. They said that the device felt cheap, especially because of the main display.
Where did they say it felt cheap ? Most of the first impressions I seen said the build quality was premium.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Where did they say it felt cheap ? Most of the first impressions I seen said the build quality was premium.
I heard it in two places...I just laughed and thought the podcasters were idiots and its why I give no credence to anyone on the Verge or anyone who is an ios user reviewing a Pixel.

The reason is they said the foldable covering (plastic )felt cheap and I said to myself...They do know glass doesn't bend don't they?

Android Police podcast....and I believe AC podcast.

Those with Samsung foldables, how do they cover the inner glass screens hinge? Does it fell cheap? Or a necessary byproduct of a foldable.

Last edited:

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know what is the screen material of the inside of the Fold? I read something (I need to keep references) that said it was bendable/foldable GLASS? Is that possible or it is some kind of PLASTIC (cue "The Graduate")? Plastic, nylon, acrylic are all amenable to scratching no matter how careful one would be.

It is kind of tempting to be the first on the block but there are definitely reasons to be somewhat reluctant.

richxps

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know what is the screen material of the inside of the Fold? I read something (I need to keep references) that said it was bendable/foldable GLASS? Is that possible or it is some kind of PLASTIC (cue "The Graduate")? Plastic, nylon, acrylic are all amenable to scratching no matter how careful one would be.

It is kind of tempting to be the first on the block but there are definitely reasons to be somewhat reluctant.
I think it’s some sort of thin glass with a plastic protector… I can’t wait for mine .. I’m sure it will be great … Google learned from the years of Samsung and Microsoft’s foldable phones (I hope )

Reactions: FF22

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Bendable glass is more of a durable plastic material than glass. It's not as fragile as what's it's made out to be but it doesn't shatter or crack like actual glass either.

On my zfold4 4 my fully clawed cat ran across my inside screen and I didn't have a screen protector on it, I had taken off the inside protector. The claws didn't puncture the screen and unless the light shines on it at the right angle you'd never know there was any damage. It didn't affect the pixels displaying on the screen at all.

I wouldn't worry too much about the durability of foldable screens.

EDIT: here are pictures of what I was talking about.

35374115a068c20e009b812ef99c65a0.jpg
ecb396026d1553e4989bcc5a6c429edf.jpg
81ed2ba2658702144e3eb42b52c74135.jpg

Last edited:

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought the only bendable glass (aside from fiber) was the Corning Willow Glass....I thought they had two panels with plastic in the middle.:unsure:

Edit: No it seems the screens are plastic...Willow glass isn't ready yet.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Bendable glass is more of a durable plastic material than glass. It's not as fragile as what's it's made out to be but it doesn't shatter or crack like actual glass either.

On my zfold4 4 my fully clawed cat ran across my inside screen and I didn't have a screen protector on it, I had taken off the inside protector. The claws didn't puncture the screen and unless the light shines on it at the right angle you'd never know there was any damage. It didn't affect the pixels displaying on the screen at all.

I wouldn't worry too much about the durability of foldable screens.

EDIT: here are pictures of what I was talking about.

35374115a068c20e009b812ef99c65a0.jpg
ecb396026d1553e4989bcc5a6c429edf.jpg
81ed2ba2658702144e3eb42b52c74135.jpg
You can barely see it!

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that's pretty ridiculous that a 128gb S22+ is worth $650 to Google but a 256gb 7 Pro is only worth $400. Pretty crappy if you ask me. It's stupid stuff like this that makes me lose respect for Google. Especially with them saying that the Pixel 7 Pro was supposedly the best smart phone of 2022.

Seems like a marketing tactic to get Samsung users to switch to Google. Pretty dirty if you ask me. You should be rewarding those that are most loyal to your brand by offering them a higher incentive to stay with you.

What, how is it ridiculous? You have no clue what you are taking about. Google is trying to draw in Samsung users. Seems like a common sense thing to do.