Who's gonna trade Note 4 for Note 5???

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: who's gonna trade note 4 for note 5???

The one thing that had always set Android ahead of Apple, at least for me and many others, was the flexibility of being able to switch batteries and use a micro SD card for removable storage. I've never been a big fan of metal-bodied phones, especially with the development of polycarbonates, etc. I like to change phones every year, so I definitely would like to trade my N4 for an N5. However, if Sammy chooses to go all metal and lose the flexibility of removable battery and micro SD card, I'll be looking to go with something else. Either that or keep my N4 for at least another year. It'll still be a great device, especially since it'll be good for another OS upgrade or two.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I still have my 17 months old Note 3. Note 4 is a phenomenal phone, but it wasn't enough an upgrade for me to shell out $500 (after trading in Note 3).

Frankly, at this point, I don't see anything down the road that will be a worthy upgrade for me in the short term (few years from now).

Higher PPI? nice but makes little difference.
Faster hardware? sure, although my note 3 is plenty fast.
64bit? over-hyped thing that means next to nothing to me.
a 0.2' larger screen? well, barely noticeable.

I am looking for real ground-breaking innovations in my next handset, and I am afraid I don't see anything coming at that level. Not to mention, if sammy makes note series's battery non-removable and eliminate sd card, it will likely be end of the line for me.

I will keep waiting, if my note 3 breaks before the wait ends, I may pick up an note 4 and continue the wait.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Clevin, you wrote my post. Note 3 on AT&T (about the only thing I could see trading for would be a TMobile Note 3, so the bootloader wasn't locked) and I don't see anything coming down the pike (not even LolliFlop) that makes me want to change. Oh, there are a few nice things about the 4 - you can include a video (or photo) in an S-Note, things like that. But for a few hundred dollars? I'll wait for the app. (It's not only the price of the phone, it's the Otterbox, the spare battery, etc., etc. It better make the coffee for that kind of money.)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Clevin, you wrote my post. Note 3 on AT&T (about the only thing I could see trading for would be a TMobile Note 3, so the bootloader wasn't locked) and I don't see anything coming down the pike (not even LolliFlop) that makes me want to change. Oh, there are a few nice things about the 4 - you can include a video (or photo) in an S-Note, things like that. But for a few hundred dollars? I'll wait for the app. (It's not only the price of the phone, it's the Otterbox, the spare battery, etc., etc. It better make the coffee for that kind of money.)
IME, with the 4, you can use GPS reliably too...unlike with my 3.

♻from the n.4 Prime✒🍫

mikakat84

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site

I just got my note 4 a month ago I also leasing it so I can't upgrade till the note 6 comes out. If I could upgrade I wouldn't. I rather wait for the note 6. Yearly upgrades aren't enough for me to change. Two year upgrades are more substantial and different. So no I'll keep my note 4 for a while.

Posted via the Android Central App

Brian McMahon

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

If Samsung keep the Note series as a premium business device which includes sd card and removable battery then i'll happily get one every year. I was tempted to get the S6 but pricing on O2 in the uk is way too high i'd rather keep my Note 4 and wait to see what they do with the 5 this year.

If they do go the way of the S6 then i'll be moving to LG or whatever manufacturer offers what i need.

jwt873

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I generally keep my devices for at least two years. (Prior to the Note 4, I had a Note 2).

So, if Samsung improves the Note year by year and doesn't remove any features (like SD card capability and a removable battery), I'll probably upgrade to the 6 or 7 rather than the 5. (That is assuming they continue incrementing the model number each year and nothing better comes along elsewhere)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Maybe?

I'm a serious phone-hopper, but I'd need to know a few details first. You know, like release date, specs, pricing, all those minor little details that aren't even at the "solid rumor" stage yet.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Hard to answer the question when I haven't seen the Note 5 yet ^_^.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

For my yearly upgrade in October on the Next program yes, unless they do it like the S6 and leave out removable battery and micro sd card support. 2 deal breakers for me. I may jump ship if they do that to the 5 and go with the LG G4.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Started with the Note 2, passed on the Note 3, because I was still so happy with the 2. Loving my Note 4! So will have to wait and see on a next generation that isn't even conceived yet (to the public anyway) I also would prefer; removable battery and SD card slot!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I will probably be getting a new phone on the fall. I replace my phone about once a year. I hope it has a replaceable battery and SD card. They are not deal breakers though.

If no SD card I hope the standard storage is 64gb and 128 is like $50 more.

I am interested in what the next Nexus phone will be. It might come down to the camera for me.

The phones I have had are the and you can see my theme at the end.

Orginal Motorola Droid
Motorola Droid 2
HTC Thunderbolt
Samsung Droid Charge
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (worst phone ever)
Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy Note 4

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

Nope I'll wait for the note 6. But if they take away the SD card slot...I'm done with them. It's better to skip a generation.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

IME, with the 4, you can use GPS reliably too...unlike with my 3.

♻from the n.4 Prime✒🍫

What was wrong with the GPS on your Note 3? I still use my Note 3 and use it as my GPS device when I'm out and about.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I will probably be getting a new phone on the fall. I replace my phone about once a year. I hope it has a replaceable battery and SD card. They are not deal breakers though.

If no SD card I hope the standard storage is 64gb and 128 is like $50 more.

I am interested in what the next Nexus phone will be. It might come down to the camera for me.

The phones I have had are the and you can see my theme at the end.

Orginal Motorola Droid
Motorola Droid 2
HTC Thunderbolt
Samsung Droid Charge
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (worst phone ever)
Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Ha. I loved the Galaxy Nexus.

NCzerniak83

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site

Will consider upgrading but I'm not a fan of the direction Samsung are heading with no non replaceable battery, no expandable storage and on top of that very expensive handsets going on the S6 and S6 edge prices (more expensive than the iPhone 6)

If they continue in this direction with the Note 5 I'm moving to the nexus range, as Samsungs delays on updating to the latest Android version are really being to frustrate me.

I agree. I'm going to be looking at either the next Nexus or the Note 5. It should be interesting.

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site

If I'm able to get out of a 2 year contract and it's crazy awesome and still have expandable storage and replaceable battery then definitely. Unless I switch back to iPhone for some reason. My macbook is getting lonely without handoff and iCloud lol.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Had every note to date. But depending very much on the specs if I change.
If no changeable battery or Microsoft card.. That would be a game changer.
Also not keen on many changes re lollipop colors etc.
I think their could be some good competition in the future. I'm also watching iPhone this year they made major leaps 3rd party keyboards widgets not fully functional yet by next year who knows.
I want long battery life without turning features off and without worrying about lasting all day. Great camera Inc night mode. Better speakers.
Also waterproof would be nice.

Posted via the Android Central App. Magichoward