Who's gonna trade Note 4 for Note 5???

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I normally upgrade once 60% of my phone is paid off. However, I believe Samsung will implement the version of the S6 /Edge towards the Note series. So therefore I will be sticking with the Note 4. So far this phone has been solid. I do not trust cloud storages I heavily depend on my SD cards and non removable batteries. I use SD cards in my tablets and my wife's tablets as well. I'm good for now, I think the device would have to be super amazing in order for me to purchase one.

Amazing Verizon Galaxy Note 4

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
It's really impossible to say at this point since we know nothing about the Note 5's specs. I would get a Note 5 (actually hoping for a Note Edge 2) only if the specs are a dramatic improvement while keeping the functionality of the previous model. In other words, the SoC that Samsung uses in the Note 5/Edge 2 would have to perform noticeably faster than the Snapdragon 805 in my current Note Edge. I'm not talking about opening Chrome 0.5 seconds faster either.

There's also the issue of SD card compatibility. That is an absolute must for me as I have far too much digital content (mainly music) that I refuse to part from. I also refuse to pay an extra $200 just to get a phone with 128GB of storage when I already have a 128GB microSDXC card and plan on buying the 200GB microSDXC card once it drops to around $120. Even if I already didn't have a 128GB card, I could buy one for $70 now.

Most phone updates are more iterative these days anyways. The Note 4 is a prime example. It's a great phone but so was the Note III and there really isn't a need to upgrade from that to the Note 4. There will be a much larger difference between the Note III and Note 5 (assuming Samsung follows the same path it's done with the Note series) but likely not much between the Note 4 and Note 5. Then again, Samsung could ruin it by making the Note 5 an all glass phone, putting a smaller battery in it, throttling the CPU down to get more life out of that smaller battery, and removing the SD card. That's when the Note 4 would actually be more valuable than the Note 5.

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
It's really impossible to say at this point since we know nothing about the Note 5's specs. I would get a Note 5 (actually hoping for a Note Edge 2) only if the specs are a dramatic improvement while keeping the functionality of the previous model. In other words, the SoC that Samsung uses in the Note 5/Edge 2 would have to perform noticeably faster than the Snapdragon 805 in my current Note Edge. I'm not talking about opening Chrome 0.5 seconds faster either.

There's also the issue of SD card compatibility. That is an absolute must for me as I have far too much digital content (mainly music) that I refuse to part from. I also refuse to pay an extra $200 just to get a phone with 128GB of storage when I already have a 128GB microSDXC card and plan on buying the 200GB microSDXC card once it drops to around $120. Even if I already didn't have a 128GB card, I could buy one for $70 now.

Most phone updates are more iterative these days anyways. The Note 4 is a prime example. It's a great phone but so was the Note III and there really isn't a need to upgrade from that to the Note 4. There will be a much larger difference between the Note III and Note 5 (assuming Samsung follows the same path it's done with the Note series) but likely not much between the Note 4 and Note 5. Then again, Samsung could ruin it by making the Note 5 an all glass phone, putting a smaller battery in it, throttling the CPU down to get more life out of that smaller battery, and removing the SD card. That's when the Note 4 would actually be more valuable than the Note 5.

I fear this so much. The note 4 is my first android phone and I'm all about what makes it stand out. If they ruin it then I'll be upset and probably won't be buying one. The main reason I bought one instead of a 6 plus was not only because I couldn't find a 6 plus anywhere but because of the battery and sd card.

Posted via the Android Central App

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: who's gonna trade note 4 for note 5???

The Note 5 Edge and the Note 5 - I am on it the moment they are available on Verizon.

wms3

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

What he said^

Exactly! I love my note 4, the note 5 is going to have to be absolutely awesome which includes removable battery and expandable storage as an absolute minimum. Otherwise the note 4 may be my last Samsung product

Posted from my Sammy Note 4

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
If there is a change with the Note 5, meaning no SD Card or removable battery, then it would be time for an adjustment or adapt to what's new. I remember seeing similar posts on BlackBerry forums when there was a push away from physical keyboards. There was a substantial population that wasn't receptive to the new trend toward an all-capacitive touch screen smartphone. But, the shift happened. Everyone adjusted. And now we enjoy our new smartphones without physical keyboards. So, if Samsung advances past removable batteries and micro SD cards, everything will be fine.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If there is a change with the Note 5, meaning no SD Card or removable battery, then it would be time for an adjustment or adapt to what's new. I remember seeing similar posts on BlackBerry forums when there was a push away from physical keyboards. There was a substantial population that wasn't receptive to the new trend toward an all-capacitive touch screen smartphone. But, the shift happened. Everyone adjusted. And now we enjoy our new smartphones without physical keyboards. So, if Samsung advances past removable batteries and micro SD cards, everything will be fine.

Well said.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
...but it will still sting and burn like hell.

📐♻from the sliq side with the n.Edge✒🍫

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

I just picked my Note 4 up 2 weeks ago but I absolutely plan to go to the Note 5 when it comes out. Removable battery isn't a big deal to me but I would like to have the SD card storage option. Metal chassis isn't a huge thing to me. I was deciding on the Nexus 6 or Note 4 and ultimately went with the Note 4. I like the quickness of updates with the Nexus like bit couldn't justify the size with no real benefits. Might as well get a Moto X. At least with the Note you get the S PEN and several other options to take advantage of the screen size.

Good points the note 4 is a multi tasking beast the the nexus 6 is like the iPhone plus just a big phone with no added benefits over its smaller counterpoint love my note edge will keep it and get the gs6, but who knows the note 5,might be so temping that I'd have to get it anyway hehe :)

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I fear this so much. The note 4 is my first android phone and I'm all about what makes it stand out.

I had a 64GB iPhone 5 before getting my S5 and later upgrading to my current Note Edge. I was initially fine with the 64GB of storage, that was back when smartphones didn't support microSDXC yet and the maximum capacity card was 32GB. But I quickly filled the space and had to continually swap content out, I hated it. I used it for two years and, after that, I told myself I would never get a phone like that again. The phone was alright, I have to qualms with Apple or iOS for my needs but rather with the fixed capacity. Plus I spent $400 on that phone while signing a two year contract. No thank you.

If there is a change with the Note 5, meaning no SD Card or removable battery, then it would be time for an adjustment or adapt to what's new.

But I don't want to adapt to what's new, not if Samsung is going to continue what they did with the Galaxy S. At this point it's not anything new as Apple has been doing it ever since they released the iPhone and Google has also been doing it with their various Nexus hardware partners. Even Motorola switched to fixed capacities a few years ago. I think it's different than BlackBerry switching away from physical keyboards as that was a whole market trend. Not including an SD card is something that some companies do with some of their phones, it's not a market-wide switch. Samsung is even split within their releases. Some of their phones support it, others don't.

I suppose the whole market will eventually switch over as that model proves to be more profitable for OEMs. I just don't want it to happen, not until I can get a phone with 200GB of capacity without paying $400 on-contract (or $35 a month through Verizon Edge).

Martin Crombie

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Any phone with a non removeable battery will be slow/redundant after 20 months. This is a forced upgrade ploy by Samsung after the Note4. I'm praying I'm wrong but that's how it going..
(Still on my note2 with note4 rom TN4)

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

My phone isn't even 3 months old and I really love it. I'm probably not going to jump from the N 4 to the N 6 maybe if done right the N 7 but I usually keep my phones for at least 4 years.

I don't need to have the newest gadget every year and with the direction Samsung is going (applelike) I'm very worried obviously. Their Exynos chip will make it even harder to create some nice custom ROMS .

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Until Samsung gets out of the smartphone business, I'm sure these questions will be repeated on a yearly basis. :)

Question: Who's gonna trade Note 5 for Note 6???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 6 for Note 7???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 7 for Note 8???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 8 for Note 9???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 9 for Note 10???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 10 for Note 11???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 11 for Note 12???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 12 for Note 13???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 13 for Note 14???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 14 for Note 15???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 15 for Note 16???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 16 for Note 17???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 17 for Note 18???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 18 for Note 19???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 19 for Note 20???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 20 for Note 21???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 21 for Note 22???
Question: Who's gonna trade Note 22 for Note 23???
Last question: Who's gonna trade Note 23 for Note Human Brain-implated phone?

Like DAH. Is Rocky 93 out yet ;^)

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I plan on it. I have the T-mobile Jump program so I can upgrade every year. I may as well get the next Note.

Note in my house!

Me, too. I don't think I would do the N5, if they take away external storage option, though. I really don't want to pay $1,000 for a phone with the memory capacity I need. If they go that way, I'll more than likely switch or keep my N4 for another year.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindaoliver