Why are text (SMS) messages not being stored when sent via an external application?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Ever since getting my new phone -- a Huawei P20 (not the P20 Pro) -- my SMS messages sent from external applications are not captured with the associated SMS conversation. For example, if I use Google Assistant to send a text, the message itself isn't kept. The same goes for sending a message from a computer app, like Android Messages.

Is there a setting I'm missing to connect external apps properly to SMS? It doesn't seem to matter what app I use, it continues to happen. Is it an Android thing or a Huawei thing? Not having this feature functional is very frustrating. Not having complete conversations or knowing if a message was actually sent.

Any help would be great!

~~~

Device: Huawei P20 (not Pro)

Android Oreo 8.1.0
EML-L09 8.1.0.109(C792)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Using Google Assistant:
a. Say “Text <contact name>” (What do you want the text to say?)
b. Say “<message>” (Here’s your message to <contact name>: <message>. Do you want to send or change this message?)
c. Say “Send it” (OK, sending message/message sent.)
2. Look at text application

Expected results:

2. <message> appears in the appropriate conversation at the appropriate time.

Observed results:

2. No sign of <message> anywhere. It does not appear in the SMS conversation. It does not have any confirmation of being sent (unless somebody replies to your specific message).

Alternative ways to reproduce at step 1...

- Use a different assistant app, and follow comparable steps to send a text by voice
- Use a computer-based SMS app (e.g., Android Messages, MySMS) to type up a text message and send.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12