Why does Android Auto not work after the Marshmallow update?

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Re: why does android auto not work after marshmallow update?

Well when talking to HTC support about this issue, they say this is the first instance they have heard of these problems. I have done everything from deleting and re-installing AA to re-installing MM update. I really wish I could roll back to pre-6.0 because there wasn't an issue before. It'd also be nice if Google had a better support system for Android Auto. So far I haven't found a helpful avenue. Kenwood is the only one acknowledging the problem and they have told me I have to wait for a patch/update from HTC or Google. Not having navigation is a huge deal for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

When talking to Sprint, they shrugged their shoulders and said it was a Google issue because the Android Auto app belongs to them. It gets old when everyone points to someone else. What would be refreshing would be someone stepping up to the plate and actually fixing what they screwed up. The Android Auto app is one of the most awesome applications to come along in several years. Most of us who have been using AA since it was first released have already been down the road of everyone shrugging their shoulders when the app first became available. That was a real pain getting everyone educated and working together and not just pointing their finger to someone else being responsible. Now we seem to be going through it all over again but this time there is a lot more riding on AA working, and that is the various automakers who have signed on with Android Auto in their new vehicles. The last thing they want is an audio system which doesn't work.

So we wait until someone gets off their perch and pushes the right buttons and make the needed changes before it starts hitting them in their wallets. For those of us who became accustomed to having and using Android Auto on a daily basis, and knowing how good it worked, we wait.....again.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site

When talking to Sprint, they shrugged their shoulders and said it was a Google issue because the Android Auto app belongs to them. It gets old when everyone points to someone else. What would be refreshing would be someone stepping up to the plate and actually fixing what they screwed up. The Android Auto app is one of the most awesome applications to come along in several years. Most of us who have been using AA since it was first released have already been down the road of everyone shrugging their shoulders when the app first became available. That was a real pain getting everyone educated and working together and not just pointing their finger to someone else being responsible. Now we seem to be going through it all over again but this time there is a lot more riding on AA working, and that is the various automakers who have signed on with Android Auto in their new vehicles. The last thing they want is an audio system which doesn't work.

So we wait until someone gets off their perch and pushes the right buttons and make the needed changes before it starts hitting them in their wallets. For those of us who became accustomed to having and using Android Auto on a daily basis, and knowing how good it worked, we wait.....again.

And THIS is why we can't have nice things.....

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site

And THIS is why we can't have nice things.....

Well, I don't know if that is why we can't have nice things, but I think there is no doubt it shows our dependence on smartphones and the entire connected environment, and the disruption it causes when something goes haywire.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site

Just because I'm a glutton for punishment I talked with HTC support tonight. After doing a RUU to my phone I still have the issue. They wanted me to send my phone to them to diagnose and then tell me how much it would cost to fix. I told them no thanks, and went to Sprint because hey why not. After 30 minutes doing the same thing they want me to come to a store to see if they can repair it. Since I do have insurance on this phone I think I'll go in to see what they say. Both are suspecting it's an issue with the phone itself and not the update but I'm not sure why they think that.

Freewayracin

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site

I had same problem contacted chevy they took my vin and said i need to take my vehical to a dealer to get it updated. Now it works.

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site

Just because I'm a glutton for punishment I talked with HTC support tonight. After doing a RUU to my phone I still have the issue. They wanted me to send my phone to them to diagnose and then tell me how much it would cost to fix. I told them no thanks, and went to Sprint because hey why not. After 30 minutes doing the same thing they want me to come to a store to see if they can repair it. Since I do have insurance on this phone I think I'll go in to see what they say. Both are suspecting it's an issue with the phone itself and not the update but I'm not sure why they think that.

I would sure be interested with what Sprint does with you, seeing as how they blew me off saying it was a Android Auto (Google) issue. Please update us after you go to Sprint. Thanks...

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Well, at least Android Auto is acknowledgeing issues between Samsung phones after the marshmallow update....see below from Android Auto's website.

Known Issues

Samsung phones with Android Marshmallow
If you have a Samsung phone and have recently updated to Android Marshmallow (6.0+), Android Auto may not start when you plug in your phone in your car.

Android Auto is working with Samsung to resolve this issue. In the meantime, you can enable MTP mode each time you use Android Auto:

Plug your phone in to your car via USB.
Swipe down from the top of the screen to view the notification panel.
Select the "Connected as" notification.
Check the "Media device (MTP)" box.
Launch Android Auto from your car's infotainment system.

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I tried to install that update and my system said that it was the same software version that is currently installed. I checked the file dates and the go back to the fall and are not new. Maybe a clean install of the existing software on the entertainment system cleared your problem. Maybe I'll try it. Nothing else has worked so far.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site

I would sure be interested with what Sprint does with you, seeing as how they blew me off saying it was a Android Auto (Google) issue. Please update us after you go to Sprint. Thanks...
I will. My plan is to swing by at lunch today. I'll let you know what tomfoolery they give me.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site

I will. My plan is to swing by at lunch today. I'll let you know what tomfoolery they give me.

So after taking a look at it, Sprint has determined it is a software issue ( pause so people get over the shock). The best course of action is to wait for a patch OR get the Galaxy S7 you'll love it. I said I was waiting for the 10 to come out but thanks for the offer.
Long story short, we sit and wait.

glennsmooth1

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Marahmellow is a downgrade. Should have stayed with lollipop. Everything was working fine. Live and learn. Now android auto is broken and some people have even worse problems with their contacts getting scrambled. Does S7 actually work with android auto? Anyone using it? (Oh yeah and spell check is now garbage. Can't even spell marshmallow)

So after taking a look at it, Sprint has determined it is a software issue ( pause so people get over the shock). The best course of action is to wait for a patch OR get the Galaxy S7 you'll love it. I said I was waiting for the 10 to come out but thanks for the offer.
Long story short, we sit and wait.

Rod Smith4

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Android Auto on my GS6 stops connecting to my VW Golf 2016 on upgrade to Marshmallow. Various toggles do not help, including USB media transfer, tethering, Mirrorlink. Cable confirmed good. Device can charge and connect to car with Bluetooth or USB MTP or Mirrorlink without any problem but Android Auto stops recognizing car/phone connection after Marshmallow upgrade. Lame.

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Android Auto on my GS6 stops connecting to my VW Golf 2016 on upgrade to Marshmallow. Various toggles do not help, including USB media transfer, tethering, Mirrorlink. Cable confirmed good. Device can charge and connect to car with Bluetooth or USB MTP or Mirrorlink without any problem but Android Auto stops recognizing car/phone connection after Marshmallow upgrade. Lame.

Same here Rod Smith. I have an aftermarket Kenwood 9702S in a Tundra that, like everyone else, Android Auto worked great until the Marshmallow Update. I also have Sprint with a Samsung Galaxy S6. After the initial update, I could still connect with Android Auto, but on a very limited basis. That didn't last long and now after a number of updates nothing connects or works. So far, in my opinion, no one has made any attempt to fix the Marshmallow-Samsung Galaxy S6-Google (Android Auto)-Sprint issues. If I had to grade them, after a month of shoulder shrugs, "not our issue", finger pointing, BUT NO RESULTS OR SOLUTIONS, the entire group would get a failing grade. At some point they all need to understand while they got my past money, future money is a whole different issue. After a month of nothing working, it would be refreshing to see somebody do something to correct these screwups.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone seen any reviews with Android Auto and the HTC 10? It seams that depending on your phone manufacturer you have some level of AA functionality. I've searched but haven't found anything. Also wondering if it'd be worth changing out my USB cable to usb type C when I upgrade phones.

revslide

May 4, 2016
Visit site
I have been using Android Auto happily on the Pioneer AVH-8750BT with the Oneplus One BEFORE the 6.0 Marshmallow update. Now it doesn't load up at all..going to try the MTP option as described by the users here. *finger crossed*

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site

I have an HTC m9. AA was working fine on my 2015 Hyundai Sonata until the marshmallow update was installed. It hasn't worked since and HTC, Google and especially Hyundai have no clue at this point about a fix to the problem. Lot of fingerpointing going on. If you want to use AA I would stay away from any phone that has Marshmallow installed until the issue is resolved.

revslide

May 4, 2016
Visit site
I have been using Android Auto happily on the Pioneer AVH-8750BT with the Oneplus One BEFORE the 6.0 Marshmallow update. Now it doesn't load up at all..going to try the MTP option as described by the users here. *finger crossed*

Replying to myself. MTP setting worked for me, now back on AA. :cool:

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I've had several posts on this thread and I am going to make a request that some may think is pretty lame, but on my Samsung Galaxy S6, I cannot find a way to see the MTP setting. I've seen some posts that showed a set of procedures, but it doesn't work on my S6. Can someone give me the sequence which will work on an S6 so I can see the MTP option? Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware