Why does my LG G4 keep shutting down?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
re:

Mine does NOT come out. If your phone isn't Sprint out set-ups might be different. The usual "push and it will pop out" maneuver is not working with mine.

You can usually take a piece of tape, stick it to the edge of the sd card and pull it out. I've also used a needle to drag it out.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
re:

Also! I didn't notice this until I'd removed the SD card several times by dragging it out with a fingernail:

There is a little piece you can slide down towards the bottom of the phone, which will push the SD card out. It's a small black plastic "tab", next to where it says "Micro SD" on the back of the phone itself.

It helped me get the card out. Because, as was noted, you can't push it in, to make it pop out, like on my GS3.

kennyboy1

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

i have even tried this at the minute since doing safe mode phone as been ok going to leave sd card out for 24 but also read this. again not mine copy/paste

Touchscreen Issues

Some LG G4 users have been reporting about a slew of touchscreen issues in the recent past, wherein the device often fails to register taps and swipes and sometimes results in a delayed response that apparently affects native features like Knock Code.

Affected users have mostly been complaining about a very sluggish default keyboard, besides facing issues while accessing the notification dropdown menus.

Potential fixes

Launch the Dialer and enter 277634#*# or 3845#*Model# (where model is the version of the device, e.g. 811, 815, etc.) to enter the Service Menu. Go to Device Test > Service Menu > Manual Test > Touch Draw Test and select Manual. Try touching, tapping, and swiping on the test area and look for any missed touches, indicated by the lack of a red mark in that area.
If service menu cannot be accessed, just download the Multitouch Test app from the Google Play Store, and check if there are any issues with the touchscreen.
The LG Keyboard lag can be fixed by installing LG's latest software update to handle this problem, and this seems to have alleviated the issue. If you missed this update, try a third-party keyboard from the Google Play Store. However, some users have reported that problems persist with these as well.
Alternatively, this issue can be resolved by using "Force GPU Rendering" in the Developer Options. To unlock these settings, go to Settings > General > About Phone > Software Info and tap on the build number continuously until you see the message: "You are now a developer". After this message appears, go to Developer Options in the Settings menu, and activate Force GPU Rendering.
Those who are using screen protectors on their phone can fix this issue by just removing it.
In case of the entire screen being unresponsive to touch, it is likely to be a hardware fault, and picking up a replacement could be the only viable solution.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
re:

i have even tried this at the minute since doing safe mode phone as been ok going to leave sd card out for 24 but also read this. again not mine copy/paste

Touchscreen Issues

Some LG G4 users have been reporting about a slew of touchscreen issues in the recent past, wherein the device often fails to register taps and swipes and sometimes results in a delayed response that apparently affects native features like Knock Code.

Affected users have mostly been complaining about a very sluggish default keyboard, besides facing issues while accessing the notification dropdown menus.

Potential fixes

Launch the Dialer and enter 277634#*# or 3845#*Model# (where model is the version of the device, e.g. 811, 815, etc.) to enter the Service Menu. Go to Device Test > Service Menu > Manual Test > Touch Draw Test and select Manual. Try touching, tapping, and swiping on the test area and look for any missed touches, indicated by the lack of a red mark in that area.
If service menu cannot be accessed, just download the Multitouch Test app from the Google Play Store, and check if there are any issues with the touchscreen.
The LG Keyboard lag can be fixed by installing LG's latest software update to handle this problem, and this seems to have alleviated the issue. If you missed this update, try a third-party keyboard from the Google Play Store. However, some users have reported that problems persist with these as well.
Alternatively, this issue can be resolved by using "Force GPU Rendering" in the Developer Options. To unlock these settings, go to Settings > General > About Phone > Software Info and tap on the build number continuously until you see the message: "You are now a developer". After this message appears, go to Developer Options in the Settings menu, and activate Force GPU Rendering.
Those who are using screen protectors on their phone can fix this issue by just removing it.
In case of the entire screen being unresponsive to touch, it is likely to be a hardware fault, and picking up a replacement could be the only viable solution.

I don't know about the keyboard lag, except that many people are finding the Google keyboard better on the g4.

So did safe mode stop the shut down / reboot issues? If so then the next step is to figure out which installed app was causing the problem.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
re:

no still rebooting put google key board on. ive emailed lg. just waiting on them or go back to my back up.

If it's rebooting in safe mode, do not wait for an email from LG. Take it directly to your carrier and demand a warranty replacement.

If it's exhibiting this behavior in safe mode, it is either base android OS glitch or hardware problem. Since not everyone is having this issue you can rule out base android glitch. Carrier should be happy to do a warranty exchange.

kennyboy1

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

If it's rebooting in safe mode, do not wait for an email from LG. Take it directly to your carrier and demand a warranty replacement.

If it's exhibiting this behavior in safe mode, it is either base android OS glitch or hardware problem. Since not everyone is having this issue you can rule out base android glitch. Carrier should be happy to do a warranty exchange.

so if i just take it back to 02 tomorrow with the receipt because i payed for it, i just use there contract. will thay say its lg or swap/money back.

yes reboots in safe mode.

Douglas_B

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
re:

I'm not too familiar with 02 (I live in the US) but from their website, it looks like you can return or exchange the phone within 14 days if it has any defect:

Faulty items

If a fault happens within 14 days, we'll either give you a replacement or your money back. If 14 days has already passed, we'll try to get it fixed for you. You might have to pay in some cases, but we'll let you know beforehand.

When you return your device, you'll need to ensure that it's unlocked and free of security software that might prevent us from being able to access it. If the device is locked or disabled when you return it and we provide you with a replacement device, we may have to charge you the full cost of the device and / or not process a refund (if applicable):You'll also need to supply:

Proof of purchase
All the original parts
Any accessories or free gifts
Packaging, where possible

Just bring it in, tell them what's happening, and that you would like to exchange it for another unit.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: why does my lg g4 keep shutting down

I've been having random reboots quite frequently since I bought it. I have the AT&T version, which does seem to have more issues than others, and my SD was brand new when I installed it. It has come down a bit, to the point that it might randomly restart once every day or two on average.

Lag and lock ups are my bigger issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

kennyboy1

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

I'm not too familiar with 02 (I live in the US) but from their website, it looks like you can return or exchange the phone within 14 days if it has any defect:

Just bring it in, tell them what's happening, and that you would like to exchange it for another unit.

thanks mate well as every1 suggested i rang o2 uk and thay are sending a replacement out to me, because i payed through customer service. thay basically in about way thay know about the problem ive had it since may. the only reason i say that because she asked if it froze "yes". so that now is sorted. dont try to fix it. TAKE IT BACK. i love the phone going from g3 to g4. i suppose things happen.

i also sent lg support centre a email and this was reply

Thank you for your email query, Hope you have had a lovely weekend!

I have had a look into this for you and would like to apologise for the issues you are experiencing, I would also like to ask you to do a factory reset to hopefully solve this. To do a factory reset you will need to;
1. Turn the power off.
2. Press and hold the power key + volume down key
3. Release the power key when the LG logo is displayed.
4. Release all keys when the factory hard reset screen is displayed.
5. Press the power key to continue or either of the volume keys to select the factory reset option.
6. Follow steps 5 again.

didnt work. TAKE IT BACK.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

I've been having random reboots quite frequently since I bought it. I have the AT&T version, which does seem to have more issues than others, and my SD was brand new when I installed it. It has come down a bit, to the point that it might randomly restart once every day or two on average.

Lag and lock ups are my bigger issue.

What have you done to try to diagnose the problem? Have you tried booting into safe mode? That way you can tell if the problem is being caused by a faulty app. If the reboots persist with the phone in safe mode, the try doing a factory reset.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

What have you done to try to diagnose the problem? Have you tried booting into safe mode? That way you can tell if the problem is being caused by a faulty app. If the reboots persist with the phone in safe mode, the try doing a factory reset.

Haven't really tried anything yet. I don't know how to see if it is a faulty app via safe mode. I do see Google Play Services as the primary battery devourer and I strongly suspect Garmin Connect as a culprit as well, but I can't do much about it for a few months.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

Haven't really tried anything yet. I don't know how to see if it is a faulty app via safe mode. I do see Google Play Services as the primary battery devourer and I strongly suspect Garmin Connect as a culprit as well, but I can't do much about it for a few months.

For google play services, check out the Common Issues and Solutions sticky for some threads about it. But that's only your battery issue, and maybe heat/lag.

For shutdowns/reboots, if the problem goes away in safe mode then you have an app problem, an app that doesn't run whist in safe mode. As such, you start uninstalling apps till you no longer have the problem.

The point of that method, as well as a factory reset is that the problem is not really the phone and returning for another one may not solve the issue.

kennyboy1

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

For google play services, check out the Common Issues and Solutions sticky for some threads about it. But that's only your battery issue, and maybe heat/lag.

For shutdowns/reboots, if the problem goes away in safe mode then you have an app problem, an app that doesn't run whist in safe mode. As such, you start uninstalling apps till you no longer have the problem.

The point of that method, as well as a factory reset is that the problem is not really the phone and returning for another one may not solve the issue.

mine was doing all the above, even when i tuck it back to o2 and mine didnt have any 3rd party apps on it just used the phone and McAfee which was already install and i used the same uesr and password for that. thay put it in safemode in the shop. and just said we will exchange it but if you read this only started around the 12 july but only on some hands set. thay also said if it does it again bring it back. im still convinced thay know there's a prolem with some of them.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

mine was doing all the above, even when i tuck it back to o2 and mine didnt have any 3rd party apps on it just used the phone and McAfee which was already install and i used the same uesr and password for that. thay put it in safemode in the shop. and just said we will exchange it but if you read this only started around the 12 july but only on some hands set. thay also said if it does it again bring it back. im still convinced thay know there's a prolem with some of them.

I have to add to my original post that it's entirely possible for the problem to be the carrier software or their version of the ui and OS; the whole safe mode / factory reset process is to figure out if its something you can fix yourself - if not, then certainly go back to your carrier.

mcirishman

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

I have to add to my original post that it's entirely possible for the problem to be the carrier software or their version of the ui and OS; the whole safe mode / factory reset process is to figure out if its something you can fix yourself - if not, then certainly go back to your carrier.
Glad I found this thread. It's really starting to show that this problem is not so uncommon. Leasing the G4 through Sprint. LG is stiff-arming me. I told them exactly what the problems were and they want me to send it in for repairs and be without a phone for 2 weeks, acting like it's not their problem. I have had the phone for 2 months and the problems did not start occurring until the 6 weeks into the contract so I can't use the 14 day policy. Anyone have any luck just getting LG to replace their LG G4? If so, how did you manage doing this?

mcirishman

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Mikey47. Not sure if a jedi mind trick is in order, but I called the Sprint retailer with my issue. They basically said that it is not their problem. Since I did not purchase insurance with the phone, it is between LG and me. Good night and good luck. Any other advice?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Mikey47. Not sure if a jedi mind trick is in order, but I called the Sprint retailer with my issue. They basically said that it is not their problem. Since I did not purchase insurance with the phone, it is between LG and me. Good night and good luck. Any other advice?

I responded to your own thread with similar info, but if it were me, I'd dump Sprint over this (or at least threaten to). I've never had a carrier that I bought a phone through that didn't handle replacements within the 1 year warranty period directly (regardless of insurance).

scruff24

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Re:

My phone has seemed to restart like this as well. ALSO, the Vertically Split screen as well.

I read through this thread and took the 1st advice to see if it might be the SD Card that is acting up. Seems that the SD Card may be the problem. Going on several hours of it NOT restarting when I look at it.....and the split screen has disappeared as well.

Cross your fingers that it might just be a temperamental SD Card causing all of this. Will update in a day or so until then.

I haven't tried Safe Mode since pulling the card out seems to have STOPPED the Restarts and Split Screen.

mcirishman

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Re:

My phone has seemed to restart like this as well. ALSO, the Vertically Split screen as well.

I read through this thread and took the 1st advice to see if it might be the SD Card that is acting up. Seems that the SD Card may be the problem. Going on several hours of it NOT restarting when I look at it.....and the split screen has disappeared as well.

Cross your fingers that it might just be a temperamental SD Card causing all of this. Will update in a day or so until then.

I haven't tried Safe Mode since pulling the card out seems to have STOPPED the Restarts and Split Screen.
I've done everything. Start in safe mode. Replaced SD card. Hard reset. Removed appsNot crashing as much/seems more stable, but it is still crashing/freezing/restarting maybe 2-3 times a day (rather than 20), but now the camera has decided to stop working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvltech