Why does turning off SOUND not turn off ALL sound?

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
When I turn off the sound, certain apps etc still make sounds. This is annoying. I asked this question 2 years ago, and did not get an answer. I had 3 HTC phones and they all turned off ALL sound. For instance if there is an ad after playing a game, or sometimes a notification, it still makes a sound even tho sound is turned off.
Is there anything I can do about this.
This, plus the debacle with the email app update really makes me question Samsung phones.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
it's because you're turning off notification sounds that's what that particular setting controls. You wouldn't expect it to control media volume because that's not what it's for.

What you're looking for can be done with do not disturb, you may need to adjust the do not disturb settings to turn off media volume but it can be done

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Samsung S10 (I thought I posted on the S10 forum)
I am tapping Sound twice to turn off sound. As I said, I thought that turned off ALL sound, but is does not. as sometimes sounds from apps still is heard. (I am not changing anything in apps or notification, just turning off sound, which should be EVERYTHING). Thanks.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung S10 (I thought I posted on the S10 forum)
I am tapping Sound twice to turn off sound. As I said, I thought that turned off ALL sound, but is does not. as sometimes sounds from apps still is heard. (I am not changing anything in apps or notification, just turning off sound, which should be EVERYTHING). Thanks.

Are you sure you didn't get an answer 2 years ago and it wasn't just that you got an answer and ignored it?

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
That's what I'm saying. I turn it to mute, but it does not turn off ALL SOUND. sometimes ads or other app sounds are heard. All of my HTC phones when you put on mute like that you would get no sounds but for 3 years the S10 makes sounds even when it's on mute. Is there any way that I can get it to be totally muted?

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Let's say at night I play a game and at the end there is an ad. Or sometimes an app is set to make a sound, like when I send or receivea message. Even when it's on mute, the phone makes these sounds. Most of the sounds are off like phone ringing out text notification, BUT NOT ALL. this had bothered me for 3 years
How can I get EVERYTHING MUTE, EVERYTHING. that's what should be happening. I never had this problem with 3 htc phones.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
There should be one button to turn off ALL SOUND. That's what others phones have. If you are sleeping or in a meeting you want all sounds off. It seems very basic to me
That's why it seems a flaw in Samsung phones

You don't want sounds or the sound of vibrations, nothing. Just total quiet. Why can't you have a simple button for that. Check with htc on how to do that

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
There should be one button to turn off ALL SOUND. That's what others phones have. If you are sleeping or in a meeting you want all sounds off. It seems very basic to me
That's why it seems a flaw in Samsung phones

You don't want sounds or the sound of vibrations, nothing. Just total quiet. Why can't you have a simple button for that. Check with htc on how to do that

OK, I'm going to try and help you one more time and then I'm going to give up and just assume you don't actually want a solution, you just want a place to complain.

USE DO NOT DISTURB! IN DO NOT DISTURB SETTINGS, YOU CAN SELECT TO MUTE MEDIA VOLUME WHEN DO NOT DISTURB IS ENABLED!

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I see what you mean now Fuzzy. Is there a way to get DND onto the drop down menu? When I want to turn off sound, I just double tap the Sound button and get mute. But as I have said that does not turn off ALL sound. So I did find DND, but not sure how to get that on the drop down. I tried to find a widget, but there is none. Seems alot of searching to get DND, when the sound button is on the drop down.
What is the difference between Do Not Disturb and putting the Sound button on Mute?
Thank ou.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Swipe your notifications down and then swipe down again to get to quick settings. You can swipe horizontally through the quick settings buttons, and Do Not Disturb may already be on there.

If it's not, or if you want to move it tap the 3 dots menu button in the top right corner and tap "edit buttons".

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Fuzzy option with DND is pretty good one but you have issues with your device it shouldn't allow any sounds in mute and suspect 3rd party apps or application causing this

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Fuzzy option with DND is pretty good one but you have issues with your device it shouldn't allow any sounds in mute and suspect 3rd party apps or application causing this

I stil get sound from media sources like games or youtube when it's on mute. The sound/vibrate/mute toggle is just for system sound, notifications and calls.

It is a little confusing how it's set up... l

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara