Why is my battery suddenly draining so fast?

funkychicken_83

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
I have had my Samsung A5 2016 for about a year now, and up until a few weeks ago I have had no problems with it. About three weeks ago I started to have an issue with wifi where it would constantly disconnect and was spending all its time turning itself on and off, but after a few days I managed to solve this by resetting my router. Once this was sorted my phone was functioning as it had been before this happened. However, in the past week it has suddenly started to use a lot more battery, and this is especially noticable overnight when it is using up to 30% of the battery (the battery usage shows that this battery drain has been only due to device idle and cell standby). Previously I have only had to charge the phone every other, or every third day, whereas now the battery is draining so fast that the phone can be dead by the time I get home from work. Overnight the phone would previously only use a couple of percent of the battery at most. I have not installed any new apps or updates prior to these problems starting, and any settings which I changed whilst trying to cure the wifi problem were put back to how they were before as soon as I found that they didnt help solve that problem. Yesterday I did a factory reset which has helped a little (the battery only drained 13% overnight), but the battery is still draining much faster than it used it. I have installed Greenify which doesnt seem to be helping, and been reading loads of posts about this on various sites but so far have not found anything that helps. Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej